Writing Macros & Macro Index

re: Basic Macro Writing & F2P / Restricted 20 Macro Index

Sap macro.

#showtooltip
/cleartarget
/targetenemy
/cast Sap

Targets an enemy immedietly when you see you see them and cast Sap as well. Just run around spamming this in 1v1 rogue duels or vs kittys.

I will PM you Yde.... would you like some more really useful Mage Macro's?

Does this still work?

#showtooltip Sap
/console targetNearestDistance 10.000000
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/console targetNearestDistance 41.000000
/cast [harm,nodead] Sap

I don't quite recall, but assuming stance dancing is independent from GCD, couldn't a macro be made to flip into def stance and SS, and then w/e possible flip back to battle stance to continue building rage?

An useful macro for shamans to clear your totem easily:

I thought this was posted but since 5.1 you can no longer destroy totem with this classical script: /script Destroytotem (insertnumber)

In MoP this is not as gamebreaking as before but I searched around the net and found this new macro:

/click TotemFrameTotem1 RightButton

We only have one totem nowadays so nothing else is needed :p

Re: Rallying Calls for BGs

This is gonna be pretty long

Mage macros:
Extended Mage macros:

#showtooltip Frostbolt
/cast [harm,nomod] Frostbolt; [noharm, nomod, @Pet] Frostbolt; [harm, mod:shift, @pet] Frostbolt
/petattack [mod:shift, @focus]
/petattack [mod:alt, harm]

My universal Frostbolt macro - if you have a hostile target it will cast Frostbolt like normal, if you have nothing targeted, it will cast Frostbolt at your pet and if you have a friendly target, it will also cast Frostbolt at your pet. To save keybinds, I have the same key for Frostbolt, bound to make my pet attack my current or my focus target conditioned with modifiers, you can leave this of course.

#showtooltip Frost Nova
/cast [nomod] Frost Nova
/petfollow [mod:alt]

Casts Frost Nova like normal, but tells your pet to follow you if you press alt (or any other modifier).

#showtooltip Fire Blast
/cast [nomod] Fire Blast
/petmoveto [mod:alt]

Cast Fire Blast like normal, but let's you move your pet if you press alt (or any other modifier).

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Polymorph
/cast [mod:alt] Freeze

Cast Polymorph like normal, but tells your pet to use Freeze if you press alt (or any other modifier).

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Frostfire Bolt
/cast [mod:alt] Summon Water Elemental

Casts Frostfire Bolt like normal, but let's you resummon your Pet if you press alt (or any other modifier). To make it clear, I refrain from putting [nopet] in there, because there are situations where your pet isn't dead/dismissed but you still want to resummon it.

#showtooltip Polymorph
/cast [@focus] Polymorph
/e is casting Polymorph on %f. Please don't hit sheeps and please don't DoT randomly.

Casts Polymorph at your focus and shows an emote-phrase saying that you're casting Polymorph at your focus and to not hit the cute little sheeps walking around you. (This would work with a normal /cast Polymorph macro as well if you put %t instead of %f, but it conflicts with my personal Polymorph-macro as it would show the emote-phrase even if I just wanted to cast Freeze)

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod, @focus] Counterspell

Simple, casts Counterspell at your focus if you don't have a modifier pressed.

#showtooltip Counterspell
/cast [nomod, @mouseover] Counterspell

Simple, casts Counterspell at your mouseover if you don't have a modifier pressed.

#showtooltip Arcane Blast
/cast [nomod] Arcane Blast; [@focus] Arcane Blast

Casts Arcane Blast at your target if you don't have a modifier pressed, or at your focus if you do.

#showtooltip Arcane Barrage
/cast [nomod] Arcane Barrage; [@focus] Arcane Barrage

Casts Arcane Barrage at your target if you don't have a modifier pressed, or at your focus if you do.

#showtooltip Teleport: Orgrimmar
/equip Burnished Warden Staff
/equip Swift Hand of Justice
/cast Teleport: Orgrimmar

This is a basic teleportation macro. I have 4 of those set to the 4 main cities I can teleport to (UC, SM, TB and OG of course, but you can set it to IF, SW, DN and EX respectively as well if you play alliance). It also attempts to equip my Burnished Warden Staff and my Swift Hand of Justice which both provide Haste for faster teleporting. If you have 2 Haste-trinkets, you may set the macro to /equipslot 13 Swift Hand of Justice and /equipslot 14 Swift Hand of Justice.

General macros (which I find useful, you may not):
General macros, for fun, utility, etc.

#showtooltip Cannibalize
/cast Cannibalize
/s OM NOM NOM

This is pretty basic. It casts Cannibalize if there's a target to NOM available and will put the infamous phrase 'OM NOM NOM' in /s to appear funny. RAWR

/console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 5

This sets your view distance to the highest factor. Useful to spot an efc's route easier.

/console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 2

This is basically the counterpart to the previous macro. It resets the view distance to the default factor.

/cleartarget [nomod]

Pretty much what it says, it clears your target.

/clearfocus [nomod]

Same as the previous macro but clears your focus this time. (You can also easily clear your focus by attempting to /focus if you don't have a target available)

#showtooltip Fishing
/cast [nocombat] Fishing

Does what it says, it casts Fishing if you're not in combat. (This may be redundant, since you can't cast Fishing in combat anyways, but I put it there for the sake of having it there, idk)

/run local a = GetCVar("nameplateShowFriends"); SetCVar("nameplateShowFriends",1-a); SetCVar("nameplateShowEnemies",a);

This is a tricky 'macro'. It switches between hostile and friendly nameplates. (This may only seem useful for healers that want to use things like HoJ or Purge and need to target/mouseover quickly, but I find it useful for a few more situations like the 'go catch these critters' Cooking dailies as it also shows the nameplates of friendly mobs like Muddy Crawfish)

#showtooltip
/run CloseTradeSkill()
/cast Enchanting
/run local s for i=1,GetNumTradeSkills() do s=GetTradeSkillInfo(i) if (s=="Enchant Bracer - Minor Health") then DoTradeSkill(i) end end
/use Enchanting Vellum
/script ReplaceEnchant()

This macro attempts to enchant an Enchanting Vellum in your inventory with Enchant Bracer - Minor Health if you have the materials for it. Spamming this macro will make lvling Enchanting very fast and easy. You can set both the item to enchant and the enchant to put on the item to different parameters by changing the corresponding text.

A small hunter macro (sorry for not really checking the hunter section)

#showtooltip
/cast Feed Pet
/use Tough Jerky
/cast Mend Pet

This will always mend your pet but will also feed it if out of combat.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't quite recall, but assuming stance dancing is independent from GCD, couldn't a macro be made to flip into def stance and SS, and then w/e possible flip back to battle stance to continue building rage?

You sure can and stance dancing wont trigger a GCD only weapon swapping will.

Ok. so i'm mostly a noob. been playing since oct last year or so and am just now graduating to mouse turning and keybinds. Macros - well still too hard for me. I've read tons of posts. I LOVE this post b/c it is the first i've found restricted level 20. BUT while the macros in this thread MIGHT be useful to me, I DONT UNDERSTAND THEM ( I know nothing about programming) because some don't have an accompanying description. Would also love to find a tutorial so I can understand what each line does! Any thoughts/tips GREATLY appreciated. thanks.

Ok. so i'm mostly a noob. been playing since oct last year or so and am just now graduating to mouse turning and keybinds. Macros - well still too hard for me. I've read tons of posts. I LOVE this post b/c it is the first i've found restricted level 20. BUT while the macros in this thread MIGHT be useful to me, I DONT UNDERSTAND THEM ( I know nothing about programming) because some don't have an accompanying description. Would also love to find a tutorial so I can understand what each line does! Any thoughts/tips GREATLY appreciated. thanks.
I'm too tired to edit more now, but it'll get much more comprehensive over the weekend. :) I just started posting before being done with it to get others to share their macros. ^^ I'll definitely explain more on how and why the macros got the way they are.

Yde - just wanted to say again - thank you very much for starting this thread !
also just found this website that helps quite alot (the magic of google) : Fitzcairn's Macro Explain-o-matic
Enter a macro or any line from a macro and it explains what it does.
it isn't completely explanatory b/c it assumes some knowledge of macros - not to mention that it doesn't understand WOW specific code.
Hope this helps and looking forward to future posts here !

Mouseover hoj and a macro to cleanse yourself are pretty important to me when I play Hpal, besides the holy shock macro that's already listed
Code:
#showtooltip 
/cast [@mouseover] Hammer of Justice
Code:
#showtooltip
/cast [@player] Cleanse

Warrrior Macros I use:

Defensive:

#showtooltip Defensive Stance
/equip Insert 1 hander
/equip Insert Shield
/cast Defensive Stance
/cast Battle stance
/equip Insert 2 hander

This one works well for me, because its 1 button for going defensive and switching into your one hander and shield, and its the same button to switch out and equip your two hander, for arms atm.

Trinkets:

#showtooltip Inherited Mark of Tyranny
/equip Arena Grand Master
/equip Inherited Mark of Tyranny

#showtooltip Arena Grand Master
/use Inherited Mark of Tyranny
/use Arena Grand Master

First one is to swap out your trinkets after using them, the second is to use the one you have equiped. Put both right next to each other and you can see the cds on each trinket, to know which to use.

Charge:

#showtooltip
/cleartarget
/cast [target=mouseover] Charge

Works for charging anyone you can, and is also helpful for clearing your target. Also makes sence to insert /target [target=mouseover] instead of cleartarget if you want to switch the the target you are charging.

#showtooltip Charge
/cast [target=focus] Charge
/cast [target=target] Charge

Works for double time, if you want to charge 2 targets one after the other, it will charge the focus first, then your target.

Random:

#showtooltip
/cleartarget
/targetenemy
/cast Victory Rush

Works to cast Victory rush on the closest person available, helpful when you really need a heal.

/say Please Heal Me!
/healme

Saved my lives plenty of times, just lets healers around you know you are getting low.

/say {cross} ATTACK %t {cross}

I think Yde has one like this already listed, but I like this one because it is pretty abrasive.

Here are most of my pala macros, made them myself and imo they really help

Just a simple cleanse macro, Mouse over>target>player

#showtooltip Cleanse
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help] Cleanse; [target=target,help] Cleanse; [target=player] Cleanse;

Hold shift to focus hoj, then prioritizes mouse over>target

#showtooltip Hammer of Justice
/stopcasting
/cast [mod:Shift,@focus,exists,harm][@mouseover,exists,harm][] Hammer of Justice

Focus hoj

#showtooltip hammer of justice
/cast [@focus, exists, nodead, harm] Hammer of Justice

Same as cleanse macro, mouse over>target>self

#showtooltip Word of Glory
/cast [@mouseover, help, exists] Word of Glory; [@target, help, exists] Word of Glory; Word of Glory;

^^^

#showtooltip Flash of light
/cast [@mouseover, help, exists] Flash of light; [@target, help, exists] Flash of light; Flash of light;

Took some playing around to get this to heal like my other macros and also do damage, same priorities as other heals will only hit enemy if targeting them.

#showtooltip holy shock
/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead][exists,nodead][@player] Holy Shock

Warrrior Macros I use:

Defensive:

#showtooltip Defensive Stance
/equip Insert 1 hander
/equip Insert Shield
/cast Defensive Stance
/cast Battle stance
/equip Insert 2 hander

This one works well for me, because its 1 button for going defensive and switching into your one hander and shield, and its the same button to switch out and equip your two hander, for arms atm.

I would personally not use this, as there are many situations were you want to keep your 2hander but still swap to Def-Stance and vice versa for 1h and Battle - even as Arms for the latter - but still a good macro nonetheless :)

Another warrior macro that is greatly useful is

#showtooltip Taunt
/cast [@mouseover] Taunt

It's not only useful in PvE to Taunt a mob, that you lost aggro of and starts attacking your healer for example, but also to prolong combat and generate aggro by swapping to D-stance or keeping rogues out of stealth. (the latter seems to not really work anymore, I'll have to test this again, maybe I'm just having bad luck and taunting right as they stealth, but will still test this)

u said u wanted to keep going so incase you just forgot about it ill bump it for u [MENTION=10336]Yde[/MENTION]. if not someone can lock it.

This is my personal favorite Druid mount macro: If you're standing still outside it casts your mount, if you're moving outside it casts travel form, if you're swimming it casts aquatic form, it you're inside it casts cat form.....basically gives you the fastest possible travel mode depending on your circumstances.

/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
/cast Timber Wolf
/cast [swimming] Aquatic Form; [outdoors] Travel Form; [indoors] Cat Form
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

here's a simple yet very good PvE Druid macro. It pops you into Bear form...even if you're already in Bear form. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but the act of popping into Bear form gives you 10 Rage (even when you're already in Bear form)...this is HUGE now that getting agro on multi-mob pulls is a monster p.i.a. for Druids since MoP.

#showtooltip
/cast !Bear Form(Shapeshift)

Last edited by a moderator:
#showtooltip NAMEOFSPELL
/cast [mod,target=player][target=mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][nogroup,target=player][target=targettarget,help,nodead]NAMEOFSPELL This is the macro I use for healing mostly. But as you can see, it can be used in or out of group for any spell that for Allies etc.

Users who are viewing this thread