Why I am a f2p 20..., and why I don't advise it.

Celydar

Just to be clear, I am only referring to f2p trial accounts.
My take, and situation is somewhat unique I think.

I originally had my WoW account on the QT, LA server.
Why? I was living abroad after the 2008 recession and that's the 1 of 3 servers I could be on.
It was fun, and I got to practice my Spanish writing, reading, listening and speaking, being a non-native speaker and only having learned some Spanish/Spanglish from foreign language classes during high school.

I left the game in 2012. Returned to the USA in 2013.
Came back to smurf around on WoW due to the pandemic.
The free 2 play aspect intrigued me and the availability of a decent amount of content not available in the past prior to Chromie time.
I wanted to be on a US server.
I never asked, but didn't think Blizzard would transfer my entire account and several toons to a US server.
Maybe I should have started there just to see.
Instead, I picked the Aegwynn server for a trial account.
(it is linked to my Battlenet account so I have all my old cheevos, heirlooms, mounts, but doesn't show my btag/friends online)

After making several f2p 20's, gearing, professions, rng loot, rng MoH PvP crates, etc.
And then also having to grind new gear for any changes/nerfs like Bramblestaff, Artifact relic, etc.
I advise anyone who can to just sub for a month, with your XP off and get all the stuff you need, then let the sub run out and be a level locked vet 20.
Despite there being a level of satisfaction grinding a f2p from start to finish, GID, sharpening/weight stones, Alchemy, gems, etc.,
It's just so much easier, and generally much quicker to xp off sub/let sub run out.
You can farm with higher level toons(that can fly), put chants on heirlooms, send mail with $$$, mats, marks of honor, buy gear and enchants, oils/stones off the AH, farm instances with friends, groups, even join a guild some of them specifically for 20's that will help you gear/farm stuff.
Then just set your xp off again for free trial weekends or when a new major patch drops, resub for a month, make all the changes you need, and let it run out again.

For quality of life & time savings it's just a more prudent decision.
(as the world has somewhat returned to normalcy, and most peeps are not stuck/locked down/out of work/working from home cuz Covid)

Last edited:
If I may chime in:
after the introduction of the veteran account feature, I believe f2p biggest appeal was the "challenge" of it for some people (not me) or to keep fooling yourself of being the underdog and being able to say "lol stupid P2W scrub" (me).

As you said, Vet is such a improvement in quality of life, I switched immediatly (but with the "try the new expansion for free for 10 days that all old frozen account were given, so no money given to support blizz you P2W scrubs).

But now, after shadowland prepatch, I actually went back and made another pure f2p account given how easy it easy to gear and enchant and get eng basics (casters healers and hunters that is, melee dps I still only play on the vet account).
Biggest drawback now is that f2p addon utilization is basically 0 (AGGRAMAR FTW) and everyone is on the communities that f2p can't join

F2P is for the people who enjoy gearing twinks more than actually playing them (assuming the main use of fully geared twink is competitive/dominant PvP). If your goal is to have multiple classes to switch between them and you're generally not a person who gets attached and/or invested into a character in a MMO game, you will get burnt out pretty quickly.

I play F2P because it is engaging and challenging. I like that there is always something to do. You can PvP, PvE, grind pets, achievements, mounts, toys, professions or whatever you feel like, whereas as a vet you'd most likely set up an above average twink within 24 hours. I tried vet twinking a few xpacs ago and as soon as I geared my twink I dropped it (as I got bored of spamming solo BGs without a purpose) after a week or so and switched to other brackets (60-70-80) just to have that excitement of some grind or upcoming activity.

My take on it in short: F2P is for the proper MMO experience with limitations, vet is for pure fun, short term enjoyment without much time investment.

There are people for whom the process itself is important. Overcoming is important.
And, as correctly noted above, for such people, the process is more important than the result.
Pure f2p is exactly for such.
"I don't like children, but the process itself...." ))

Do not want this to sound offensive, but if 50cents/day is a significant amount to a person, they should not be playing video games in their free time.
You have to put in account the differences between currencies buddy, my country's economy is below poverty line that 1$=17 pounds.
+I barely earn enough to even sustain myself lol. Also even if im dying on the floor rn, gaming is the only thing that sates my copium status I have been enduring for the past 17+ years.
I honestly cant blame you for it. Non of the upper class countries know of our existence.

You have to put in account the differences between currencies buddy, my country's economy is below poverty line that 1$=17 pounds.
+I barely earn enough to even sustain myself lol. Also even if im dying on the floor rn, gaming is the only thing that sates my copium status I have been enduring for the past 17+ years.
I honestly cant blame you for it. Non of the upper class countries know of our existence.
Quite obviously I was not evaluating that aspect of your comment, as it is not even possible, not knowing where you're from, prior to my response. It was not directed at you specifically, nor was I trying to offend you.

I stand by my point nonetheless, as gaming is a very time-consuming, rather addictive hobby that tends to get quite expensive if you're dedicated to it. Most exclusive games cost a ton even by the standards of a country with a healthy economy. Personally, I would not be putting so many hours into gaming if I was not happy about my living situation.

I truly wish you all the best and I hope the situation gets better. Having said that, there are plenty of free-to-play games that only earn revenue from MTX. You can enjoy them to the fullest without putting a penny in them. Using gaming as a means of coping with something you're unhappy with is never good for your mental and physical health. That applies to any hobby, not just gaming.

I just keep my old F2P's as relics of good days. Fishing hat, double AGM's, solo farmed shadowfangs etc... These were cool in the past but i don't think people care if you're PURE, the PUREST F2P or VET in 2021. (Linked, Pure, Vet Topics were really fun to read 6-7 years ago.)

I'd play more F2P if I had access to Chromie Time on that account. The appeal of F2P for me if filling out my collection logs and getting achievements.

I'm just not in a rush to get anything done. Even with an active sub I grind for my gear rather than having myself or a friend run that character through dungeons. Ditto with gathering herbs/ore. If I get all my Outland blues/profession items in one day, I'd just feel like, "okay, now what?" But I also like PvE more than PvP.

I advise anyone who can to just sub for a month, with your XP off and get all the stuff you need, then let the sub run out and be a level locked vet 20.
Despite there being a level of satisfaction grinding a f2p from start to finish, GID, sharpening/weight stones, Alchemy, gems, etc.,
It's just so much easier, and generally much quicker to xp off sub/let sub run out.
This is true.

I'd counter by saying all this does is shrink the game for you though. You create a toon, play through exiles reach, start queing dungeons and then youre 20. All in like 2 hours. You promptly run a few dungeons getting towed by your 60 and then sit at the AH buying gear and maybe running to the dwarven district to level engi. After that, you spend your game time sitting on a fence in goldshire or a lamppost in SW queing into the same 5 pvp maps every night until you get bored and wonder why the game doesnt hold your interest like it used to.

I subscribe to the "F2P aren't really twinks" ideology here. If you really are looking to make a twink, to do random BG's/Arenas/Wargames and be as up to speed and competitive as possible as quickly as possible, I 100% agree, make a vet. The time you save is more than worth the month's subscription/WoW tokens/character transfer fees. Especially if you want to play lots of classes or have toons on multiple servers or both factions.

If you are looking for a journey and sense of individual character progression, that's what F2P is for. There's a sense of satisfaction that comes from doing everything yourself and not having to buy anything (both in terms of real money and wow money). That's what you are pursuing as a F2P. The fact that your endgame looks and performs a lot like a vet is kinda just because that's where the limitations are. F2P used to be at a pretty sizable disadvantage compared to vets pre SL, but we still played, and the reasons for playing F2P are still basically the same.

I'd play more F2P if I had access to Chromie Time on that account. The appeal of F2P for me if filling out my collection logs and getting achievements.
Sounds like a linked F2P account might be up your alley.

My take on it in short: F2P is for the proper MMO experience with limitations, vet is for pure fun, short term enjoyment without much time investment.
To be honest, I've always wanted the thrill of F2P. However, after 5 years of end game and wearing myself out, I didn't have the stomach to do the long grinds required as F2P. When Vet's became a thing back in WoD, that's when I switched to 20's, and have been a Vet for the last 6.5 years.
Plus, after amassing cool mogs, having almost all professions between my alts, and the pure excitement of being given a free weekend or 3 days here and there, it's enough to keep me entertained as a Vet. Also have access to Chromie time, so it's been a little more than short term enjoyment for me, but that's just me.
But I do get the F2P thing, but after 11 years of WoW, life circumstances have changed and I just can't give it that sort of time again.
Each to there own, and as long as you're having fun, that's all that matters :)

This is true.

I'd counter by saying all this does is shrink the game for you though. You create a toon, play through exiles reach, start queing dungeons and then youre 20. All in like 2 hours. You promptly run a few dungeons getting towed by your 60 and then sit at the AH buying gear and maybe running to the dwarven district to level engi. After that, you spend your game time sitting on a fence in goldshire or a lamppost in SW queing into the same 5 pvp maps every night until you get bored and wonder why the game doesnt hold your interest like it used to.

Well, as far as how I, me specifically spend my time.
I like to run my minions on Legion and WoD garrison quests, run the WoD daily Inn quests/dungeons.
Disenchant stuff compiled in my void storage, etc.
Usually hang in the SW PvP vendor room or work on the PvP training dummy testing gear/trinks, rotation.
Then I ride around Dalaran and /lol & /moo every horde I see.
Then, I queue into BG and we have 0 heals, two or three peeps with 2k health or under, and Expeditionay Greens, Tunk's Tiny Bow, or outright, grey weapon and/or shield, and leave.
Swap to another toon, queue into BG, and run into horde premade with 2 disc priests and resto sham, 4 people with 600+ honor, and it's 10 v 8, and we have the 8.
So, I again leave, go watch a movie, run some errands, do some work, read, or whatever.
While doing these other things I often wonder why I bothered wasting my time making this or that toon.
And decide I should only play, if I do at all, on my hunter.

Addendum: even if I'm on my Survival/MM hunter, arguably my best toon,
and some horde scumbag is running an xp off debuffer premade and streaming themselves facerolling levelers in greens with 1.9k health at 2am, it doesn't matter.
As such, I just leave again.

Last edited:
The thing is the current 20s can pick any profession from any expansion and level it to max unlike in the past.

These porfessions weren't designed to be picked and rotated on a single character. AH and trading is HUGE part of the game.
By playing f2p you refuse to play as it was intended. I see some people complain about F2P being too much work but always forget that this isn't how the game is supposed to be played. This is a trial only. The real game is P2P.

For me personally F2P goes against the ways of WoW. Leveling tons of professions for enchants, gems, etc on 1 character without trading? Well, no thanks. No one ever did this in any expansion. If you want to play a single player game there are other better options out there.

F2P is for the people who like handicapping themselves and achieving/colelcting things. If your focus is BG, WG, arena, duels then F2P isn't the way. The issue comes from the fact that twinking (ex. 19, 39, etc.) got merged with F2P (20). "Twinking" has never been about being F2P. In fact every twinking bracket in the past was xpoff. So yeah, F2P and twink are different things.

Users who are viewing this thread