What is the scoop on resistances?

I guess the first question I have is...Is it worth collecting resistance gear.

I am not a very good twink and so I get owned a lot by other twinks. :eek:

Every now and again I notice that there is a game with a lot of rogues or paladins or warlocks.

Since i am not very skilled I am hoping a passive restiance against most of my opponents would useful.

So would it be worth it to build resistance set.

How is resistance calculated?

Is there a list viable of resistance gear.

Please do not just post links as most internet sites are blocked by security at my work

Pretty much the only things I can think of is charged Gear and Gallan Cuffs. But to be quite honest, you should improve your playstyle instead of looking for resistance gear.

If resistance is futile

I agree that I need to improve my play style but if I can stack against say 1/2 the field in a given battle that would be good. The question is does resistance help enough and is there gear or other stuff to give me enough to be useful.

Currently my problems are rogues with poison and paladins.

If resistance is futile what other things can I do? :confused:

Other than run away. :eek:

What's your class? There's no resistance against Pallies and stacking nature restistance against rogues is less than suboptimal. You can stack nature's with charged Gear and Gallan Cuffs, they're somewhat BiS, so get them imo. +15 Nature resistance to back is NOT worth it imo.

How well you do as a twink is largely based on gear selection and enchant selection, once past that it comes down to how well you know how to play your class.

My advice is find a guide for your class and get every Best In Slot available to you.

If you need help with specific class help, I can probably help you if you want to throw me a PM, I'm a Jack of Trades of sorts when it comes to playing the different classes.

-Tekae

in 29 bracket, BE able to get some resistance stacking that works since they have a racial base of 2% resistance to all schools of magic. including holy which no other class has. some may say the 2% is not noticeable, but i have seen UD, BE, and Draenai all occasionally resist fears with just the 2% shadow spell resistance and have also seen have seen "resist" or "immune" to rogue poisons by BE, Tauren, and NE classes.

once while playing a alliance 29 twink rogue ran into a real annoying BE rogue that i was forced to look up, this rogue had a parachute cloak with +7 to all resistances, was wearing 2 "charged gear of the monkey/tiger" rings that have +5 nature/arcane resist on each ring. overall i found myself wondering what was going on with my poisons. this player was hard to get a cripple poison on.

BTW blizz has rogue poisons as a spell mechanic, which i have QQ'd on this issue.

i have a fresh 29 BE palidan, since she is a non-engineer she is wearing a tigerstrike mantle with +5 resistances cloak enchant over +3 agility or + 70 armor enchant. once the new patch comes out, i will start runs to get "charged gear of the ????????" rings from gnomer

as for gallan cuffs? i don't believe those have any + resistances on them

Get any BiS Cape, enchant it with +15 Nature Resist and then pick up 2 suitable Charged Gears. Thats +25 Nature Resist. Nature resistance is good against Rogue's poisons, many Shaman spells and basically all Druid spells. Resisting the first Crippling Poison can be enough to get that CC on the Rogue. Resisting that Entangling Roots can be enough to get away with the flag.

@Neratho: +15 Nature Resistance to Back IS worth it. Assuming OP utilises Agi, the only enchant he will be putting on it is +3 Agi. Losing 3 Agi wont do much harm really. The exception is if he uses Parachute Cloak, then he will be missing out on +12 Agi which shouldn't be considered.

That is some great info.

Is there a math guru who can advise what +25 Nature resist actually translates to at lvl 29?

Gallan Cuffs are the wrong, you're right. What was the name of those random bracers from Gnome? Not sure. And if 15 Nature Resistance to back is worth is debatable. I'd never get it and use Anti Venom against Rogues and Blink against Druids.

I use anti-venom as well as the Jungle Juice thing but I don't seam to have any success.

I am not sure if they just put it back on before i can react or what.

The problem may be that I just have to much lag I don't know.

I am a hunter on US, Terrokar, name is Slayla

Editted - interesting thread. Thanks for the read.

Armory lists you as a lvl14 orc warrior?

Anyway. As a pally I usually have a lot of trouble with good hunters. Bad hunters i can kill them 1 vs 1 with few trouble. If you are skilled enough, as a hunter, the gear you wear means little.

As a hunter you only have 1 method of dealing with melee classes (rogues, paladins, warriors..). This method is kiting effectively:

Unbind A and D to turning, bind them to strafe left and right. Strafing lets you keep shooting your special shots while running at normal speed. When you go backwards you can't create that same distance because your speed is reduced. By strafing you get rid of this problem.

If you are strafing at a safe distance from your target learn to know when to stop to get the auto-shot and then keep moving.

Use your cooldowns wisely. Don't use concussive shot while your target is wingclipped, wait for the wingclip to wear off and then concussive shot. Use freezing trap also wisely. Use disengage when everything is on cooldown.

Get a pet that will help you kiting (Turn off the autocast and BIND the ability in your keyboard/mouse so you have absolute control of it:

Spider: WEB (4s) very good pet, but pallys dispel the web easily with Hand of Freedom.

Ravager: STUN (2s) Probably the best ability as the only way to get out of it is with the pvp trinket

Hyena: Hamstring-like ability. Never played with a Hyena but i hear good things about them.

I think it's Emisary Cuffs of Random you are talking about Neratho if it is they sadly only have +5 Arcane Resistance : (.

BTW some of this info has been usefull i'm now thinking of getting me another Tigerstrike Mantle but with +15 Natur res cause god dam those rogues can get anoying while running the flag especially if they have a Vendetta Urgh : (

just for the hell of it i threw together a 29 BE arcane mage on chardev before and it came out with 1100hp 2600mp 34 fire/frost/arcane resist, 50 nature resist, 45 shadow resist and 86 bonus to spell dmg. this is without any boa gear as i hate leveling and my "main" is still level 72. granted the nature and shadow have the higher amounts as two a ring of +11 resist to each and the acidic walker cloth boots from gnomer with +5 nature resist. if you really wanted to you could use the parachute cloak for the extra +2 to all resists over the battle healer's but i don't think i would.

29 Resist Mage

Anti-rogue is one reason I chose a Nelf, though since the change from a racial passive nature resist to one of a % to not get hit by the spells, I never see "resisted" come up on my screen when a rogue is hounding me or a druid tries to use roots on me, anymore :( I should have gone with a human.

That said, the 15% nature resist to cloak is good, if you can swap cloaks easily and find yourself in a bg with a lot of rogues

A quick search on wowhead shows the only items from 1-29 with nature resist as being the charged gear, the acidic walkers, and a level 16 green carapace shield.

Oops

I spelled my name wrong.

My name is Slayla not Slaya

Thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it. I have learned a lot.

Still wondering what the formula is for calculating resistance for lvl 29.

Screamforme said:
That said, the 15% nature resist to cloak is good

I wish it was that much :rolleyes:

Does anyone else think +70 armor is > 15 NR against rogues? And that resistances generally fail?

Neratho said:
I wish it was that much :rolleyes:

Does anyone else think +70 armor is > 15 NR against rogues? And that resistances generally fail?

lol I am sorry, i didnt mean to put the %. but the 15 + 10 from rings isnt bad

At least, getting the 15 nature resist is worth it in situations where you can have multiple cloaks. Like for me, the Caretakers Cape is Unique--so I cant have more than one, so I only have it with the 70 armor. Because hunters are a bigger threat than rogues.

But for a hunter, say you are using the tigerstrik mantle, you can have 2 so getting one with 70 armor and one with 15 nature resist isnt a bad idea

I guess it is worth trying although it would be used only in specialized situations.

Are there any trinkets and/or potions that give protection vs nature as well?

What would be the max protection possible? Just in case there are 2 rogues and a hunter protecting the flag. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread