UI inspiration

Zero add-ons is such a weird flex
I dunno... I'd hesitate to deliver such a judgement, considering all the ridiculous handicaps players (including myself) deliberately endure in the name of "challenge". Is "no addons" really that different? :confused:

That being said, I wouldn't really miss most of mine... except AdiBags. That shit is crucial. :p

I dunno... I'd hesitate to deliver such a judgement, considering all the ridiculous handicaps players (including myself) deliberately endure in the name of "challenge". Is "no addons" really that different? :confused:
The vast majority of my add on usage is just "I disagree with Blizzards design choices" so I guess it weird to me to try and flex on "I like this UI that looks like Grandma's couch"

Real men use default ui
Welcome to the club

Being that you play with default UI, I was wondering what your hotkey preference is, as far as their placement on the keyboard. Are there certain keys you prefer for your bread & butter spells? Do you try to keep them close to your WASD movement keys? Do you use number or "F" keys a lot or just for situational items/spells?

Being that you play with default UI, I was wondering what your hotkey preference is, as far as their placement on the keyboard. Are there certain keys you prefer for your bread & butter spells? Do you try to keep them close to your WASD movement keys? Do you use number or "F" keys a lot or just for situational items/spells?

I've always used the default ui. I just like how its laid out over others. I spent a lot of time mapping out all my keybinds when I played for end game in mop so most of my 20s keybinds are just carried over from that.

As for keybinds, casters can get away with different keybinds than dps classes since they can't move to cast spells so they don't need to be so reliant on placement in relation to the movement keys. I will say some of my keybinds are weird (u is battle standard and j is battle master trinket, etc) but if you saw my keybindings at 90 it would make sense. I use the f keys for party targeting and the shift 1-3 for arena/flag carrier targeting, alt 1-3 for arena/flag carrier focusing. I use 1-6 for abilities that I need to use then keys near wasd like r, c, f, etc. I also use control modifiers to target myself. I also use a special all in one macro that I made that can do basically everything a healing spell would need to and alleviate things (can mouse over, heal the target, heal the focus, heal myself all in the same macro with a sort of order of priority to each thing).

Keybinds are very personal but I will tell you personally you dont need a fancy addon, keyboard, or mouse to succeed. This has been the case for me for years and years. Only addons I ever used are for interrupt tracking because its needed for casters/healers. I modified saysapped to say "rude" or "stahp" but it seems to have stopped working :(

I've always used the default ui. I just like how its laid out over others. I spent a lot of time mapping out all my keybinds when I played for end game in mop so most of my 20s keybinds are just carried over from that.

As for keybinds, casters can get away with different keybinds than dps classes since they can't move to cast spells so they don't need to be so reliant on placement in relation to the movement keys. I will say some of my keybinds are weird (u is battle standard and j is battle master trinket, etc) but if you saw my keybindings at 90 it would make sense. I use the f keys for party targeting and the shift 1-3 for arena/flag carrier targeting, alt 1-3 for arena/flag carrier focusing. I use 1-6 for abilities that I need to use then keys near wasd like r, c, f, etc. I also use control modifiers to target myself. I also use a special all in one macro that I made that can do basically everything a healing spell would need to and alleviate things (can mouse over, heal the target, heal the focus, heal myself all in the same macro with a sort of order of priority to each thing).

Keybinds are very personal but I will tell you personally you dont need a fancy addon, keyboard, or mouse to succeed. This has been the case for me for years and years. Only addons I ever used are for interrupt tracking because its needed for casters/healers. I modified saysapped to say "rude" or "stahp" but it seems to have stopped working :(

I have actually spent most of the time this morning to go through my Starter Edition account and restore everything to default, and than remap all the hotkeys. One of the reason I decided to make this switch is in preparation for WoW Classic, but also some of the outdated Add-On errors seem to stick around even after updating an Add-on.

But you are correct, I didn't really need all those Add-ons. I seem to have adjusted just fine. And less clutter is always welcome. :)

I have actually spent most of the time this morning to go through my Starter Edition account and restore everything to default, and than remap all the hotkeys. One of the reason I decided to make this switch is in preparation for WoW Classic, but also some of the outdated Add-On errors seem to stick around even after updating an Add-on.

But you are correct, I didn't really need all those Add-ons. I seem to have adjusted just fine. And less clutter is always welcome. :)

My preference has always been simplicity and ease of use. Before it was because my computer couldn't run addons and everything else without lagging a bit, but that was short lived and I just got used to everything. I still think blizzard raid frames are the best ones out of everything I've seen, especially with class colours, mana bars, and health % on the bar among other things. Shows all the needed info and a easy to understand way. Furthermore, the less things on the screen to distract you, the more focus you can put on whats going on around you. IMO all you need to pvp is battleground targets and an interrupt tracker.

Real men use default ui
Welcome to the club
WoWScrnShot_082219_135705.jpg

ultra wide + default
those are all my weakauras showing at once, this is my 120 main

Yeah so I sortve have a rule set that I follow on all my toons. If you go find all my screenshots that show my bars no matter what char I'm on the key binds follow the same pattern. It's by no means optimized it's just the setup I started using when I retired the clicker lifestyle like almost 10 years ago so it's just what I'm comfortable with
  • 1 is always my basic attack (smite, wrath, sinister strike, etc.)
  • 2 and 3 are always dots (moonfire, swp, etc.)
  • If I'm on a melee 2 is my big hitter (eviscerate)
  • 4 is always a slow (earthbind, concussive shot
Theres a lot more but you get the idea

My point is you should assign certain keys and key combos to do one thing only. (I.e. shift e is my heal, control e is my focus target heal)

When you get used to it you never have to go searching on your bars for the spell because you know: "oh shit I need to hoj this warrior, better press shift Q (shift q is for stuns like poly, frost trap, and hoj.))

Now if it's something with a big CD you might wanna put it where itll be easy to find (pally bubble for example)
[doublepost=1566501746,1566501704][/doublepost]
View attachment 12835
ultra wide + default
those are all my weakauras showing at once, this is my 120 main
Default ui boyz
But you still use addons so you cant join the club yet sorry

its just UI elements that appear on whatever activation you set them to (buffs etc) Normally none of them show except the move speed and stats. i have like 2 weakauras only on my 20 vet

One thing I'll always recommend to someone starting their keybinds from scratch - shifting movement from WASD to ESDF. It's an absolute nightmare to adjust to, but the couple extra easy binds it opens up are really nice to have. Also makes more sense with normal typing position, etc. I made the switch when I did something similar in Cata or MoP and haven't looked back. Only downside is that you have to change binds in pretty much every game you play once you get used to it.

One thing I'll always recommend to someone starting their keybinds from scratch - shifting movement from WASD to ESDF. It's an absolute nightmare to adjust to, but the couple extra easy binds it opens up are really nice to have. Also makes more sense with normal typing position, etc. I made the switch when I did something similar in Cata or MoP and haven't looked back. Only downside is that you have to change binds in pretty much every game you play once you get used to it.

I am both intrigued and frightened by the prospect of going down this rabbit hole.

Old habits die hard... I still have to play inverted on shooters because of goldeneye. I also keep pressing spacebar like a madman despite them fixing charge like 10 years ago.
I still play inverted on the rare shooter I play. I think it's a generational thing.

I more just meant that like... ASD are keyboard turn and backpedal keys. QWE and mouse for movement and you free up ASD for good bindings.

Users who are viewing this thread