Tence's SL Hpally guide or "oh god not another xpac where he thinks hes a resto shaman"

point for point I would consider the 11 haste more impactful than 11 verse from the gear. Once you get into playing and in the thick of it you're going to want fairly quick flash of light cast times. This guide is just a jumping off point and showing a set of gear that I found to work quite effectively.

You're also trading 28 secondary stats for 11 secondary stats, even if its crit.

now, if only haste increased the passive regen of the https://www.wowhead.com/item=13505/runeblade-of-baron-rivendare?bonus=6712...

because crit is pretty useless for paladin.

4wry38z60l0z.jpg

What do you cut your Holy Light cast time down to going full haste? With FoL at 1.4 seconds (in a crit heavy build) I'm really struggling to see the need to stack haste over crit. Perhaps my playstyle prefers it, but when we have strong Disc Priests and Resto Shamans I can't help but feel that Paladin's strengths currently lie in something more akin to a Shockadin.

And I know you explicitly warn against damage dealing but I will go out on a limb here and say its definitely the strongest damage output healing class atm. If you're throwing Crusader Strikes, Judgments and Holy Shocks (all of which are instant cast) the damage is huge if youre rocking 40%~ crit inside BGs. All of this is achievable without prioritising damage over healing.

Last edited:
point for point I would consider the 11 haste more impactful than 11 verse from the gear. Once you get into playing and in the thick of it you're going to want fairly quick flash of light cast times. This guide is just a jumping off point and showing a set of gear that I found to work quite effectively.

You're also trading 28 secondary stats for 11 secondary stats, even if its crit.

What do you cut your Holy Light cast time down to going full haste? With FoL at 1.4 seconds (in a crit heavy build) I'm really struggling to see the need to stack haste over crit. Perhaps my playstyle prefers it, but when we have strong Disc Priests and Resto Shamans I can't help but feel that Paladin's strengths currently lie in something more akin to a Shockadin.

And I know you explicitly warn against damage dealing but I will go out on a limb here and say its definitely the strongest damage output healing class atm. If you're throwing Crusader Strikes, Judgments and Holy Shocks (all of which are instant cast) the damage is huge if youre rocking 40%~ crit inside BGs. All of this is achievable without prioritising damage over healing.

thanks, based on these feedback i will go for the desolation 2-piece as well (and compare the two)

why do you rock 2 int + 2 stam gems? isn't 2 vers better than 2 stam?

Last edited:
why do you rock 2 int + 2 stam gems? isn't 2 vers better than 2 stam?

2 int 2 verse is better in every scenario but a potential 1 shot scenario or fcing. The damage reduction from the verse will add up to more effective hp over a full bg.

That being said it's not the worst thing in the world to create multiple sets for different situations
[doublepost=1612714896,1612714406][/doublepost]

My fol is 1.2s and holy light is 2s. I can absolutely feel the difference between 1.4 and 1.2s.

Why I warn against damage is because, historically people tunnel/focus too much on dpsing and forget to dispel or heal someone. Dpsing is fine but its low priority as a healer. You won't always have multiple other heals on your team that know what they're doing, so often you're going to be pulling a lot of the weight.

I often find myself in games where I'm either solo healing or forced to solo heal because the other heals are too busy dpsing to keep the actual team up. It happened last xpac with disc priests/resto shamans and its happening again. This scenario you describe having multiple other healers that all pull their weight is an ideal scenario and often not reality.

Last edited:
While this guide is focused on haste and healing, there are other builds that allow you to use your hpal in an offensive way and still heal. Not taking anything away from this guide what so ever but those who chose the crit life will enjoy it. #Thisistheway
+1 for taking the time to make the guide. *bump*
Screenshot (28).png

All this Holy Pally chatter has me wanting to seriously roll one... I’ve always loved the idea of a heavily armored healer.

Is Holy Pally superior to Resto Shaman in most ways? Sounds like there’s an inside joke baked into OPs Topic Title, but there’s generally so little discussed about healers on here, it’s hard to know how they’re currently performing in the meta. Per this guide, the itemization for a plate healer seems totally fucked at level 20, lol.

Hi Tence,
I played a twink 29 (now level 13 rip) paladin pre-BFA and are trying to get back with gearing a 20 now.
Thanks for the tips, they are great.
Just one question I cannot seem to get my head around after checking your armory =)
How did you manage to transmog the non plate items?
Sorry if that's a dumb question you already answered here, but I could not find it.

How did you manage to transmog the non plate items?
you can apply cosmetic appearances to armor not appropriate for your class:

step 1: equip plate seet
step 2: change mog of the plate set
step 3: save mog via drop-down menu in top left part of the window
step 4: change into non-plate set
step 5: apply saved mog to the non-plate set

cosmetics (and the "hide item" option) get applied to all armor types.

step 1: equip plate seet

Thank you, so there are options. Good to know :)

step 1: equip plate set

Theres another easier way

Step 1: equip plate piece
Step 2: click the cosmetic mog you want applied (dont click apply yet)
Step 3: equip the non plate piece of armor in the same slot by right clicking it in your bags (notice it keeps the cosmetic mog still)
Step 4: click apply.
Step 5: repeat for each piece of non plate armor.

Users who are viewing this thread