Scientific chest farming

Trialcasual

Legend
Making f2p twink means to forget about BoEs as getting them is pure luck. There's an old discussion about chest farming, but for most people it remains a mystery. This is a working method to get all world drop blues you ever wanted to own.

Patch 4.0.3 introduced new chests containing blues. These chests spawn in many locations, the respawn time being 3-6 hours. There will be only 1-2 chests per area, taking into consideration the respawn time, you most likely will never find one. The level of chest contents is the location level +/- 5.That means for items requiring level 20 you have to be in a level 25 location. I advise Wetlands because you will be able to watch every chest spawn with just 4-5 mules (another blue loot chest feature: it can be opened while in combat). Besides:

- the chests are close to each other

- the location level is 25

- there are only a few places occupied by dark iron dwarfs, but 1-2 chests spawn nevertheless.

There are about 60 BoEs lvl 20-30, the chance to see any of them seems equal (about 2%).

For my protection warrior I planned to get:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=12982

http://www.wowhead.com/item=2194

http://www.wowhead.com/item=12985 just in case

http://www.wowhead.com/item=12998 legendary shoulders

Proof it works.

Get ready to a long farming (took me about a month) But unlike BoA you will only have to make several mules and check chest spawns once in the morning and once in the evening, taking not more than 15 minutes. These are the spots you have to put mules on (red dots). You stay where the blue dot is.

Create dwarves or undead, die, run to the spot in ghost form. Press "port to the graveyard" and corpse run. Once on the spot you will be able to see if the chest is up (if you are far from your body you will not see the chest)

Now about chest spawns. Lower spot. If you see the chest, try to open it with the mule (just dont forget to remove autoloot) If it contains what you are for, relog and ride south. Otherwise just leave it as opening and resetting cd is enough.

Left spot. Note that the chest is on the carriage where you are likely to miss it.

Right spot. Easily opened by a mule.

Central spot at the crypt entrance.

Second floor of the crypt.

Upper spot in the dwarf town. There is a possibility the chest will spawn in any of the 5 buildings. A single mule cant oversee all the chest spawns so find it with the mule, open it with the twink.

This is the most popular option, the chest spawned in the lowest point of the second building to the left.

Give me the chest, dwarf!

So all the required items are found, Magician's mantle even twice.

Happy hunting ! (low population servers are the best)

There's already a guide for this, so repost.

i dunno man, this guide is like....waaaaaay better

this is one of the few posts that have been made on this forum that is actually useful for non-retarded players. thank you for putting this together

So with these "mules," how often do you switch between them to see if a chest is up?

Are they all on the same account, or multiple accounts?

Do you simply park 1 at each spawn, and log into them in a rotation to see if the chest is up?

Have you done this for any other zone, like duskwood? I know Wetlands can produce items that are too high level for us, do you see this often?

Thanks for the post, it's a great help!

this post is very viable. thank you for the guide :)

will use this when i'm at 20 ^_____^

Thanks for responses. Yes, I park the mules at the chest spawns and log on each of them in a row to see if any chest is up. Wetlands are better than Duskwood because there are only 5 spots, other locations will involve more mules and more running but still possible.

Yes, horde do wait for queues. Even if it's five minutes, that's all it takes to go check a few spawn points.

I did not forget Sturdy chests:) Different kinds of chests are on different cd's. Dark iron treasure chest cannot spawn instead/in place of Sturdy treasure chest. In this particular location and with this particular kind of chests its easier to watch them all. You can watch for Sturdy chests as well, it will take just more time. Making 500 mules or running through 10 locations will probably get you more chest spawns but with much more effort.

Thanks a ton for taking time out to post this info! I considered myself to be the chest king ( farming another magicians mantle ) BUT I did not know of the chest in the wagon in wetlands. This morning I went my usual route except I went to that other spot and BAM there was one sitting in the wagon.

There is another guide but yours really does break it down for Wetlands. And not to mention yours was fresh ( I wouldnt have seen it if it was posted in the other one )

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/anubarak/Limpleg/simple

Items that require lvl 20 have ilvl of 25, so at least lvl 20 zone, most items will be below lvl 15 requirement i.e. greens. Best are zones lvl 20-25: Duskwood, Hillsbrad, Wetlands.

Users who are viewing this thread