Rogue-y type questions

1. Which stat weighs heavier, hit or crit?
WwhDk.png
iUa3D.png

2. Assassination or Subtlety? (Opinions obviously, as they both have their advantages and disadvantages)

3. Talent-wise, would you consider Nightstalker or Shadow Focus to be better?
-I've felt Shadow Focus is better because that's (Essentially) 60 extra focus, giving you a grand total of 180 focus as well as a free two combo points when you engage, bringing your starting combo point requirements down to 3 for a max eviscerate.
But with how everyone is complaining about the mobility of rogues, I wasn't sure if Nightstalker would be best.

Last edited by a moderator:
shadow focus is good, but I've been just too far behind an efc about to cap the last flag too many times to pass up nightstalkers extra speed. Also do you not like subterfuge? I tried it for a while, gave you extra time to kill a player too slow to move after the first ambush, or run away if you ambush at a bad time, or get 3 seconds secret capping in AB. Nightstalker for me though.

shadow focus is good, but I've been just too far behind an efc about to cap the last flag too many times to pass up nightstalkers extra speed. Also do you not like subterfuge? I tried it for a while, gave you extra time to kill a player too slow to move after the first ambush, or run away if you ambush at a bad time, or get 3 seconds secret capping in AB. Nightstalker for me though.
I actually didn't think about the extra three seconds in Arathi Basin, but aside from that I didn't really care for it because it doesn't have many advantages in my mind.

Subterfuge is good as sub since you get Find Weakness for a second Ambush. You can restealth with dots up to get a quick sap or ambush off (gets FW running again/on a new target). Its very good defensively too, but I've found that less necessary since the end of Holy Shock's reign of terror. Once holy shock got nerfed, I rolled Nightstalker and haven't looked back.

I tried Assassination for a few games but I really didn't like it. The consistent damage was solid with lots of poison procs, but the burst from a 4-5 cp Find Weakness'ed Eviscerate makes things die. The ability to drop someone instantly from ~50% health is key. Even the people who do actually heal in this bracket are rarely proactive about it.

Assassination/Shadow Focus seems like it could be a solid combo. Nightstalker is huge though. It gets you where you need to be, which is the most important part of playing a rogue right now. The damage will be there, but not if you're trailing someone just out of range. Nightstalker gives you much more freedom to engage when/where you want to instead of just when your target stops moving.

Also, swiftness pots. I've been burning through them on my rogue the past few days, they make a big difference.

Assassination is consistent damage, but not much burst,
Subtlety is burst damage.

Use shadow focus if you're assassination, and subterfuge if you're subtlety.

One of the strategy I use with subterfuge is ambush my target, run away (he can't see me for three seconds) - re stealth and reopen.

Speaking from my 24 rogue I use Shadow Focus. I have the minor increase in boots so I can sometimes catch up but even with nightstalker it's not like you're going to catch that druid or pally or disengaging hunt. With shadow focus I can use ambush then 3 quick hemmo and have 5 combo points and be about ready for a quick evis soon after. Only better dps I can think of is going Subterfuge then using a thistle tea between ambushes and you can maybe get 4 ambushes off.

With all the other classes getting a speed buff imo nightstalker isn't worth the dmg loss compared to the other two and shadow focus also helps with saps which are cc and pretty important so focus>subterfuge>nightstalker imo

Users who are viewing this thread