Rogue Gearing Guide 101 with Mathematics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glancealot

Legend
1 AP = 1 point

1 Agi = 4 points

1 Crit rating = 2 points

1 hit rating = 0.5 point (because you are hit capped without even trying)

1 haste rating = 0.5 point (lol haste)

1 expertise = 3 points (before soft cap, you are most likely within soft cap due to the fact that few pieces come with expertise at this level)

1 stamina = 1.2 point

1 resilience = 2.1 point

1 socket = 80 points

1 meta socket = 100 points

Read this part only if you want to know how i obtained the above system:

We will use a so called AP-point system. (similar to ming's AEP)

All offensive stats will be converted to AP in the following way

1 crit rating = 0.045% crit. (22 crit rating = 1% crit). crit is good because pvp is about burst damage. 1 crit rating has always been evaluated as 2 AP = 2 points for rogues when theorycrafting, ever since the days of world of ming.

After considering Sinister Calling, 1 agility is 1.3 agility which is 0.032% crit ( equivalent as 0.7 crit rating, 31 agi = 1% crit ) and 2.6 AP, so 1 agi is equivalent to 0.7*2+2.6 = 1.4 + 2.6 = 4 AP = 4 points.

1 AP is just 1 AP = 1 point.

Haste is pretty useless, you need a lot of haste to make a noticable difference, but it's better than nothing, so let's just say 1 haste = 0.5 AP = 0.5 point.

Hit, rogues are pretty much always hit-capped even without trying. extra hit over the softcap is pretty useless as pvp is all about yellow hits, so let's just say 1 hit = 0.5 AP = 0.5 point as well.

Expertise, similar to hit, before softcap, it's good, after softcap, it's pretty useless. But when we are comparing individual pieces, I have no way of knowing if you are expertise capped or not, so I am going to assume that you are not capped, in which case 1 expertise = 3 AP = 3 points.

Next, Blizzard uses 1 resilience = 1.5 stamina in their stat system. As you can see, for example, http://www.wowhead.com/item=40119 vs http://www.wowhead.com/item=40127. But nobody at 70 gems stamina so that should give you enough reason/indication to believe that 1 resil is better than 1.5 stamina. Let's say 1 resil is 1.75 stamina for rogues (I personally value resil more than that, more like 1 resil = 2 stamina, but that's just me, my style is defensive, and I am a druid so things work a little differently)

Regarding how many points is 1 stamina worth, well that depends heavily on your playing style, so I will leave that to you to decide. But i am going to set a default one, which is 1 stamina = 1.2 AP = 1.2 point. so 1 resilience = 1.2*1.75 = 2.1 points.

1 socket is worth 20 agility = 80 points, obviously.

1 meta is 100 points

With the help of this chart, this turns out to the BiS human rogue set up at 70:

http://chardev.org/?profile=382645

qim59.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, harrassment. <3 Glance.

Also the set up is horribly generalised and the stat weights are "assumed", for example quote: "so let's just say 1 hit = 0.5 AP" and "I have no way of knowing if you are expertise capped or not, so I am going to assume that you are not capped, in which case 1 expertise = 3 AP = 3 points" (lol).

That stat weighting is based mainly on assumption. Also it does not take any variables into account like playstyle, teams you are facing, survivability required. Whilst I admit based purely on the weighting it helps to make gear choices, this is certainly NOT the 101 answer to gearing any rogue for PvP.

if you think 1 stamina is worth less than 1.2 points, i.e., you would like to have more AP, then this is the chart that you should use. this treats 1 stamina as 1 AP instead of 1.2. for example, now necklace of the deep becomes BiS for necklace slot.

notice that my chart does not take into consideration of 2 piece brutal bonus, so most of the time brutal helm+brutal shoulder are the BiS combination.
5TFgo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Glance but it would have been better to post the list somewhere then add a link to the page rather than listing the entire lists twice in a thread. :rolleyes:

Thanks Glance but it would have been better to post the list somewhere then add a link to the page rather than listing the entire lists twice in a thread. :rolleyes:

they are two different lists...

first one using 1 stam = 1.2 AP

second one using 1 stam = 1 AP

maybe it's just me but those pictures don't show until i click on them, so personally i don't find the picture annoying or anything.

i think it's because of this addon.

http://noscript.net/

hi der, i wear pve gear and 1 shot full resil people, i like to hide and vanish when i'm about to die with my shit surviability... OH WAIT
i'm a real life ninja, i like to wrap myself in toilet roll, these tyres around my waist is just epic equipment to attain my qtxdxoxo title

i am 'rougeqt'.

xdd

btw my guild "xdd" is recruting peeps. only promembers so far. outland alliance eu

For someone arguing with me about ad hoc explanations you sure didn't seem to put any effort into finding BiS based on caps or set bonuses.

For someone arguing with me about ad hoc explanations you sure didn't seem to put any effort into finding BiS based on caps or set bonuses.

most socket caps aren't met anyway.

regarding set bonuses: how do i know which item you decide to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread