Retribution Help or Thoughts

Well flash cant go lower than 1.3, so 51 haste is haste cap or ? Because if i stack more than 51 it cant go lower right ?

Using my whole brain to try to understand this xd

Ok, so I'm terrible at explaining this well but I'll try.

Your haste % basically says how much faster you cast things. At 0% haste, you cast at 100% speed. With 10% haste, you cast at 110% speed, etc.

The basic way things are calcuated is:
Actual cast time = base cast time / cast speed

Healing Surge (or Flash of Light) is a base 1.5 second cast.

When you have 51 haste (11.94%), you cast at 111.94% speed. Your Healing Surge cast time will be 1.5/1.1194 = 1.3400 seconds.

When you have 50 haste (11.71%), you cast at 111.71% speed. Your healing Surge cast time will be 1.5/1.1174 = 1.3424 seconds.

Those are your actual Healing Surge cast times, the number you see on the tooltip is just rounded weirdly. The change from 1.4 to 1.3 seconds at 51 haste is basically a coincidence.

If you want to see it a bit more accurately in game, you can use a cast bar addon (I use Quartz because I always have, but there are probably more modern ones).

There's no cap at a 1.3 second cast, I've seen people say that a couple times but I'm not sure where that info came from. The only real haste cap is the GCD cap at 100% haste (the GCD can't go below 0.75 seconds). You can test this pretty easily with drums/bloodlust.

Ok, so I'm terrible at explaining this well but I'll try.

Your haste % basically says how much faster you cast things. At 0% haste, you cast at 100% speed. With 10% haste, you cast at 110% speed, etc.

The basic way things are calcuated is:
Actual cast time = base cast time / cast speed

Healing Surge (or Flash of Light) is a base 1.5 second cast.

When you have 51 haste (11.94%), you cast at 111.94% speed. Your Healing Surge cast time will be 1.5/1.1194 = 1.3400 seconds.

When you have 50 haste (11.71%), you cast at 111.71% speed. Your healing Surge cast time will be 1.5/1.1174 = 1.3424 seconds.

Those are your actual Healing Surge cast times, the number you see on the tooltip is just rounded weirdly. The change from 1.4 to 1.3 seconds at 51 haste is basically a coincidence.

If you want to see it a bit more accurately in game, you can use a cast bar addon (I use Quartz because I always have, but there are probably more modern ones).

There's no cap at a 1.3 second cast, I've seen people say that a couple times but I'm not sure where that info came from. The only real haste cap is the GCD cap at 100% haste (the GCD can't go below 0.75 seconds). You can test this pretty easily with drums/bloodlust.

Thanks for those pieces of information !! I'll try to get the closest to 1.3 sec cast so. we keep in touch ;)

I've played enough games now to easily say:

Obviously opinions change.

Versatility is not a noticeable increase in longevity or usefulness. Ret just is not a tier 1 class, so if you get holy locked or a tier 1 class is hammering on you, your survival is not determined by having 10% Versatility or even 25% Versatility... it's determined by your team intervening or if you have your "escape" cool downs up. No further proof is needed here. You don't survive a Full Twink Rogue popping out and putting a Hillborne Axe and a Daring Dirk in your ass because you have 20% versatility, you survive it because your Charger Steed is up and you have a Goblin Glider not on a cool down.

Haste/Crit is just what you should do... especially for PuGs (Also why Titan Forged gear is just BiS, and if everybody had it, it is what everybody would use). You just get the most benefit from Haste, it makes weapon swapping better, it makes healing better, it makes all your damage better. If Versatility sneaks onto some of your gear... great. But 170+ base Strength (not everybody has Titan forged gear) with 25% (or whatever you can get to) or more Haste is just going to beat out what any other gear is going to do for any other Ret in comparison. And as far as Critical Strike goes, at the end of a BG Crit will have just done more than Versatility... I can see it in every game I play... having some white hits do 90 instead of 80 is not reason enough to worry about any amount of Versatility, but the chance of more burst on a healer is worth Crit.

I'm sure there are other opinions, but that is how I see it based on actual game play.

If there was magical gear for every slot that was just max haste... I'd probably just go get that gear... and in all reality if "of the impatient" blues drop from crates they will get equipped... probably even the legs even tho they can't be enchanted... +12 haste at the cost of +4 strength is something I would do in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
can i have an armory link of your pally ? I'll try to build mine full crit/haste and we will see :)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/bleeding-hollow/Silverado

I change up the builds a lot. Right now I'm just trying to figure out the best set up for keeping 205+ Strength (with alchemists flask). I just like to hit HUGE with Ret, as I think it works best. Probably stick with stacking Haste as the Secondary... the the tertiary does not matter. Haste still keeps the rotation smooth, 10% or less just sucks as you are just relying on white swings to often. Wont be able to get it to 20+ with keeping 205+ str... but it's still the best option. So I would still take Haste giving a better rotation than stacking Ver/Crit for even bigger hits, as you will just do considerably less overall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread