Predatory Strikes

choom

OG
Anyone excited about the new changes? Think this will make ferals more viable in the bracket? I personally am pretty excited.

Looking for other peoples thoughts/opinions

Funny you should mention this, I just worked out a chardev of a build very similar to this - I took Nurturing Instinct over Natural shapeshifter, though.

Essentially, it's a heavy dotting healer. The druid I've been saving to do this is 36, and I tested him out (with crappy gear) today. You dot your opponent up, and save the predatory strikes proc for either a big heal (don't glyph healing touch) or a wrath for an extra burst of damage.

Glyph of moonfire/Glyph of claw

Spellhance for Feral?

I think the gear I picked looked something like this:

Comfortable Leather Hat

Pulsating Crystalline Shard

Preened Ironfeather Shoulders

Battle Healer's Cloak

Robes of the Lich

Scorpashi Wristbands

Devout Aurastone Hammer

Umbral Crystal

Revelosh's Gloves of the Falcon

Gem-studded Leather Belt

Basilisk Hide Pants

Worn Running Boots

Underworld Band

Underworld Band

Insignia of the Horde

Arena Grand Master

I believe it came out to something like 2600HP/3000MP unbuffed, with 140ish spell power and 200 healing, about 100agi. A decent mix - enough spell power to be effective, a large enough mana pool to last, and the physical damage is high enough to matter.

Right now my druid's gear/stats are really gimp, and he's only 36, but he still tore everything up in the XP bgs.

Wow, that looks pretty cool hadn't considered that kind of hybrid dps. Was either thinking pure feral dps, or resto with feral spec.

A few things worth mentioning tho

1) Depending on your exact gear setup, it may be more beneficial to open with pounce>rake>claw x 2 (hopefully rake or claw crits and you have 5 cp)>rip as you not only do more dmg, but are also building cp's for your instant. Its a 15 second buff so you have some time. At this point you can shift>moonfire>rejuv> and kite. You can then throw a heal somewhere or even instant roots/wrath if you want. Again all this depends on gear and if your going more feral or more spellpower.

2) When healing yourself, regrowth is probably the better spell to use the instant for, as the 20% healing buff from NI ultimately makes it heal for more, assuming you shift back into cat at some point. Because of this I might also take the regrowth glyph instead of mf.

3) Final small thing, I would probably take lizardhide boots over the running boots. They offer more total stats and they have the +run speed.

One last thought, a weapon swap macro might be a good idea.

choom said:
Wow, that looks pretty cool hadn't considered that kind of hybrid dps. Was either thinking pure feral dps, or resto with feral spec.

A few things worth mentioning tho

1) Depending on your exact gear setup, it may be more beneficial to open with pounce>rake>claw x 2 (hopefully rake or claw crits and you have 5 cp)>rip as you not only do more dmg, but are also building cp's for your instant. Its a 15 second buff so you have some time. At this point you can shift>moonfire>rejuv> and kite. You can then throw a heal somewhere or even instant roots/wrath if you want. Again all this depends on gear and if your going more feral or more spellpower.

2) When healing yourself, regrowth is probably the better spell to use the instant for, as the 20% healing buff from NI ultimately makes it heal for more, assuming you shift back into cat at some point. Because of this I might also take the regrowth glyph instead of mf.

3) Final small thing, I would probably take lizardhide boots over the running boots. They offer more total stats and they have the +run speed.

One last thought, a weapon swap macro might be a good idea.

Yeah, the Pounce/rake/claw/claw/rip was pretty much what I was thinking of. I usually slip in a FF before the claws, too - gotta do something while you wait for the energy to rip. Good suggestion to use regrowth. I'm not sure if I would drop the moonfire glyph, though.

Yeah, I think lizardhide is probably the better choice. Weapon swapping could work well, too.

I like the way that this has worked so far - by the time I get around to swapping back into cat, all my energy is back and the dots have usually run their course.

Just as a quick note, how much additional damage does a glyphed moonfire do in comparison to regular mf?

Edit: Assuming your 140ish sp

Hmm, I haven't compared it. Right now my spell power is just about 100ish at level 36, moonfire (glyphed) is ticking for about 100.

Perhaps im missing something, but the glyph seems to be a bit of a wash the way I look at it. Im sure it ultimately does more damage glyphed, especially after having read the spellpower coefficient is higher for the dot portion, but it cant be by that much (crits also become meaningless). It seems to be more of a raiding glyph, designed to be combined with glyph of starfire.

So is the loss of a glyph spot and a potential finisher (lol mf spam) worth ~100 dmg or w/e?

Not trying to say your wrong for taking it, just wondering why your so attached to it.

I dunno, it's probably more of a personal preference thing. I don't think any of the other glyphs are so good that it would be worth dropping, especially when you consider that one tick of the glyphed mf is nearly as much as the initial hit of the non-glyphed mf (not counting crits). I think the damage increase is actually quite high, too. As for finishing people off with moonfire, I don't really think I'll be doing that.

Feral's really need something to improve their survivability/usefulness in this bracket. I welcome this change. Perhaps finally a way to make them as viable as a rogue, or as close as.

elesian said:
Feral's really need something to improve their survivability/usefulness in this bracket. I welcome this change. Perhaps finally a way to make them as viable as a rogue, or as close as.

Few interrupts and lower damage makes them unviable right now. Hemo spam verses Claw spam? ~330-ish crits verses ~220-ish crits - but at least you can glyph claw to 35 energy now!

Ferals tend to have higher crit and can get combo points easier with the claw spam, it's just that their combo point moves aren't very useful. Either a low damage eviserate or a bleed which is pretty good actually but it's better to use Ferocious Bite against anything below mail/shield wearer level, with the exception of rogues perhaps. Where's my kidney shot button?!

Oh and opener is everything, and a rogue will 9 times out of 10 get the opener which is 3 combo points off the bat. Druid gets 1 combo point with Pounce. Can trinket that too becuase there's no follow up stun, or blind or gouge - except maybe Bash but that usually gets dodged...

I think this is a very nice change though - being in caster form for too long is certain death to druids verses melee classes.

-X

Xailter said:
Few interrupts and lower damage makes them unviable right now. Hemo spam verses Claw spam? ~330-ish crits verses ~220-ish crits - but at least you can glyph claw to 35 energy now!

Ferals tend to have higher crit and can get combo points easier with the claw spam, it's just that their combo point moves aren't very useful. Either a low damage eviserate or a bleed which is pretty good actually but it's better to use Ferocious Bite against anything below mail/shield wearer level, with the exception of rogues perhaps. Where's my kidney shot button?!

Oh and opener is everything, and a rogue will 9 times out of 10 get the opener which is 3 combo points off the bat. Druid gets 1 combo point with Pounce. Can trinket that too becuase there's no follow up stun, or blind or gouge - except maybe Bash but that usually gets dodged...

I think this is a very nice change though - being in caster form for too long is certain death to druids verses melee classes.

-X

This is pretty much what I was setting out to fix. I don't want to have to play a feral like a rogue.

The advantage to the druid over a rogue is the healing and ranged damage, so I've focused on that, while still maintaining a reasonable amount of agi to be effective in melee.

Im sure you guys are aware of this, but don't forget that if specced, ferals can run shred spec. 42 energy shreds aint bad.

More damage per energy point, but at the cost of weaker cp generation and positional requirements.

Obviously this would be more suited toward a more pure feral toon, not like what unobscured has made.

choom said:
Im sure you guys are aware of this, but don't forget that if specced, ferals can run shred spec. 42 energy shreds aint bad.

More damage per energy point, but at the cost of weaker cp generation and positional requirements.

Obviously this would be more suited toward a more pure feral toon, not like what unobscured has made.

Shreds damage isn't bad actually, 450-ish crits aren't uncommon. The problem is getting behind your enemy when they don't keyboard turn. Outside of Pounce or Bash you rarely get to use Shred and have to rely on Rake and Claw.

-X

Unobscured said:
This is pretty much what I was setting out to fix. I don't want to have to play a feral like a rogue.

The advantage to the druid over a rogue is the healing and ranged damage, so I've focused on that, while still maintaining a reasonable amount of agi to be effective in melee.

hey unobscured check out some chardevs I made a few weeks ago for feral setups and let me know your thoughts. I still think going feral to dps in bgs is silly but has the potential for high level dueling and maybe arenas with the right pairing and competition.

http://pwndepot.com/forum/30-39/20553-need-help-39-feral-druid.html

still not exactly sure what the 3.2 feral's niche would be - my guess is off healer and assist training the ff target. simply using bash and feral charge, roots while staying alive in a group skirmish might be effective enough - not sure.

Great stuff Sock, gotta keep working on my druid's gear now. Going straight up dps as a feral druid isn't really something I think will happen at 39, but like you said, the support a druid can add is invaluable. I also think druids like this can really go well with some of the more rare arena classes in 2s. (Ret pally, Warrior)

Users who are viewing this thread