On corporations and outrage culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone would like to be called a certain way. You hear that, you find it ridiculous, you go and insult that person. You get punished. That person saying they would like to be called a certain way made you do it, but your insult was the harassment

But in this case the insult is a pronoun: him/her, as they find that offencive and name calling, discriminating against their gender expression and identity...

no. what you're working off of isnt a law. Its a Human Rights commissions statement of principles.

The law states:

"15 (1) It is not a discriminatory practice if...
  • (e) an individual is discriminated against on a prohibited ground of discrimination in a manner that is prescribed by guidelines... to be reasonable;"

in other words. You're free to be a bigot as long as your bigotry isnt causing physical or material harm

Yeah apart from you're not in Canada, if you're are being discriminatory you can be thrown in front of the human rights tribunal and ordered to stop.

If you don't stop you can be issued non criminal fines, If you refuse to pay the fines you'll be held in contempt of court and thrown in jail.

Part of this whole debate is actually on the lettering of these laws. They're terribly vague. I mean, who deams discrimination to be reasonable?

tell ya what. let me know when that actually happens

‘If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.’

- George Orwell

Na its never gonna happen, I don't even live in Canada I just think its a ridiculous bill.

One, none of the people at the top of politics or corporations care for an iota of the supposed morality they espouse. They want global free market trade because it makes more money. Destroying all cultural barriers simply makes for a consumer that is easier to develop products for.

Two, the point of the identity politics is not to support minorities or equality or any other such nonsense, it is a dogma similar to the middle ages, or the red scare. If you publicly call the dogma nonsense you are deemed a blasphemer and socially ostracized, it is simply a method of control just like church tenets with their arbitrary religious determinations. It's an excuse for laws, surveillance and psychological battering.

So whenever you see any law passed about supposed hate crimes, or talking heads in suits "sticking up for the little guy" or corporations being "more inclusive" always remember it is because the billionaires who have more money than the GDP of some nations want that number to go up higher and want the governments they control to have more ability to prevent a political wellspring against their influence. Getting in the weeds and defending this or that claim as "was this really racist?" "can we really deconstruct this social tenet" is just utter nonsense, arguing over dogma. Governments and companies are not your friend and neither were medieval churches and kings. Zizek and Stirner do a good job of decoding this nonsense for those of you who like reading.

Well, taking the uncle ben's logo change example. I haven't seen any big social media outrages about it, it has just been a topic for long and I believe their CEO's just considering changing it. It's a mature move, time and views changes, as far as I know the logo was made in the 40's - where racial stereotypes are normalized

Can't say anyone won on it though. The logo looks stale and boring now - it got less identity. And how many succesful companies have a black person as a symbol? I think black people lost on it too. I don't think the logo portrayed anything degrading, Uncle Ben wore a suit and looked generally formal.

However, I think it's actually racism when white people spots a cartoon'ish figure of someone with another ethnic background and then consider it to be racism.

We had that in Sweden for "Kinapuffar" , "Chinese puffs"

cbc5f167-88b1-4b81-82c5-86207edae49b.png

the asian figure is now removed

I don't think anyone took offense to it other than white people feeling it was wrong to asians. It's becoming to a point where you remove every non-white person from logos - and that's towards racism if anything.

Meanwhile no Swede even cares about "Kalles kaviar", which is also a racial stereotype
g94nk7j0qry6xaeyrdif.png

You know. I've made several actual twink and WoW threads, but the amount of off-topic comments are way higher than on-topic. I try to report them, you aren't doing anything about the off-topic comments. Each time I'm making threads, I always resist making them, thinking XPOFF doesn't deserve it. But I sometimes get random impulses and try to make this a funnier place despite it.

So now I made actual off-topic threads instead and I got surprised by the Uncle Ben topic because it was the first time people had serious debates about non-WoW matters. It's something positive and I gave out likes to both sides of the argument.

Then you came and locked it with a shitreason. What's the point of an off-topic section if you aren't allowed to discuss non-World of Warcraft stuff? The subject itself was world news and there was no inappropriate behaviour showing in it.

The fact alone that people made a second topic to keep talking just shows that you had literally no reason to lock it and that the thread was still active.

You're just giving me the feeling that I should go back to square one again and just refrain from contributing to the community as it isn't worth the time when you're killing healthy activity for no reason.

@Selaya

Well said slippypuddle, I myself speak against plenty of dogma because I am a warrior and I don't care what people think.

No one here even eats rice
instant rice probably. I eat rice at least twice a day
[doublepost=1600990915,1600990503][/doublepost]Art community outrage culture is also a thing apparently (especially on twitter)
Especially when it links to companies (some artist gets commisioned to do something and artist posts it on twitter and gets canceled

right. because its not illegal.

looked into that comedian too, and apparently the kids family asked him for years to stop telling the joke and he insisted. (robby soave left out an important detail? NEVER!)

thats harassment, friends.

it's a joke told to an audience for comedic effect.

it's a joke told to an audience for comedic effect.
yes, and people are free to make bad jokes. they should be. comedians do face an unfair amount of scrutiny.

But if you make a bad joke and the subject of your bad joke comes to you and says "hey man, this is actually causing me real harm in school. People are bullying me about that joke, please stop" and you do it for years anyway, that becomes harassment. This is why Filter stopped playing Hey Man Nice Shot after Bud Dwyers kid came to them about it. The recognized the problem.

His freedom of speech has started interfering with someone elses freedom from harassment. This intersection of freedoms is where we right laws.

yes, and people are free to make bad jokes. they should be. comedians do face an unfair amount of scrutiny.

But if you make a bad joke and the subject of your bad joke comes to you and says "hey man, this is actually causing me real harm in school. People are bullying me about that joke, please stop" and you do it for years anyway, that becomes harassment.

That kid was gonna get made fun of regardless, that's plain to see. Their choice to be offended by something they're not even in the room to hear and then using the court system punitively is arguably a bigger form of harassment. Did they seek the same from the bullies? It's a joke.

Last edited:
That kid was gonna get made fun of regardless, that's plain to see. Their choice to be offended by something they're not even in the room to hear and then using the court system punitively is arguably a bigger form of harassment. Did they seek the same from the bully's? It's a joke.
You guys really dont get how this works, do you? Like, not at all.

You guys really dont get how this works, do you? Like, not at all.

By issuing suit they brought this thing to an even bigger audience. And we're still talking about it like 14 years after the fact. How's that for "really not getting how this works".

By issuing suit they brought this thing to an even bigger audience. And we're still talking about it like 14 years after the fact. How's that for "really not getting how this works".
Its just an example of an intersection of rights that someone brought up. It doesnt have to be this particular thing. But if you dont get how actions have consequences and if those consequences affect others, you are responsible for that, then I dont know what to tell you. You dont live in the same reality I do.
[doublepost=1601003892,1601003631][/doublepost]all this really is is assholes trying to justify being an asshole but they know being an asshole is wrong so they gotta find a way that being an asshole makes them a crusader for liberty or some shit.

Got americas DOJ declaring whole ass political affiliations "domestic terrorism" and these free-speech motherfuckers are upset that they cant say "shemale" without catching hands.

Reactions: Fry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread