Mooeycritmas' 29 Shaman Deep Dive Guide (Phase 6 & Burning Crusade Ready)

yeah what can I say, the analogy of Ele being the arcane mage of shamans is really accurate and shows how much you know about the game. GL

Yep, you proved me wrong.

You mean to say arcane mages aren't useful? They can poly, they can frostbolt.

I mean, that's your argument with elemental shamans right? They can shock, they can purge.

I'm arguing specs, which means talent choices. But once again, thank you for not acknowledging the fact I'm talking about that and clearly trying to dodge the reality that restoration is MORE viable than elemental.

Spot the elemental shaman with a bruised ego. Found him.

I haven't played in a while, but I like Elemental if you mean 13/7/0. I tried 20/0/0 and it was poop because the "payoff" isn't worth not having the mobility of imp GW. (Also, it isn't 1937 anymore and people don't attack the offense in premades). And this will only be further exacerbated in TBC with instant GW being pretty nutty...albeit might be less important in arena. EotS is super whatever, esp in WSG.

For wsg premades, I always championed 0/7/13 because (1) you downrank earth shock way more often (almost exclusively) so the benefit of % mana is way less, (2) you use a lot more frost resist and tremor totems in premades during splits, (3) you really don't want Purge and Earth Shock getting resists (remember all druids have like 10 more Nature resist). For pugs Ele is good. They're both pretty similar.

I do agree Ancestral Healing 3/3 is a spew of talent points tho, I am 1/3 in it because having a purgable buff adds some amount of value -- and this will only grow more true once Horde have BoF as well in TBC. I think 5/5 AK vs Shield Spec can go either way. I like Shield Spec, but to each their own.

I rarely check xpoff, so I prob won't be able to reply. TL;DR I think ele = resto for pugs and resto >>> ele for premades wsg. EOTS and Enhance both seem like dog poop to me. More power to you if you enjoy them though. Never put points into Concussion and you're probably fine though tbh. 29 shaman talents aren't nearly as determinate of your gameplay as they are in later brackets. The reality is that neither of these specs really changes your throughput much at all, but more your sustainability.

-Wouch

I haven't played in a while, but I like Elemental if you mean 13/7/0. I tried 20/0/0 and it was poop because the "payoff" isn't worth not having the mobility of imp GW. (Also, it isn't 1937 anymore and people don't attack the offense in premades). And this will only be further exacerbated in TBC with instant GW being pretty nutty...albeit might be less important in arena. EotS is super whatever, esp in WSG.

For wsg premades, I always championed 0/7/13 because (1) you downrank earth shock way more often (almost exclusively) so the benefit of % mana is way less, (2) you use a lot more frost resist and tremor totems in premades during splits, (3) you really don't want Purge and Earth Shock getting resists (remember all druids have like 10 more Nature resist). For pugs Ele is good. They're both pretty similar.

I do agree Ancestral Healing 3/3 is a spew of talent points tho, I am 1/3 in it because having a purgable buff adds some amount of value -- and this will only grow more true once Horde have BoF as well in TBC. I think 5/5 AK vs Shield Spec can go either way. I like Shield Spec, but to each their own.

I rarely check xpoff, so I prob won't be able to reply. TL;DR I think ele = resto for pugs and resto >>> ele for premades wsg. EOTS and Enhance both seem like dog poop to me. More power to you if you enjoy them though. Never put points into Concussion and you're probably fine though tbh. 29 shaman talents aren't nearly as determinate of your gameplay as they are in later brackets. The reality is that neither of these specs really changes your throughput much at all, but more your sustainability.

-Wouch

Hey Wouch!

Long time no see man, hope you've been well!

I like 0/7/13 - I also like 0/0/20 - If talking premades I think it depends on your role within the premade aswell. I feel 0/0/20 more exclusively for those that are defending / with their FC, and 0/7/13 if you're on offense. Do you agree?
I agree about downranking Earthshock, I do that, and I also downrank Flame Shock to keep rogues out of stealth.
Can you explain to me how your (1) point is relevant to 0/7/13 though, as it seems like to me it's something that should be universal throughout all specs.
(2) I agree, tremor, earthbind and resist totems most commonly used. I do like your idea of going 1/5 Ancestral Healing & 4/5 Totemic Focus so you can put up another purgable buff - especially in TBC where Alliance get shamans too. Good shout. I do feel at the moment though in the current meta, and more-so in PUGs, having only priests to worry about as Horde as far as dispells, I still prefer 3/3 Ancestral Healing & 2/5 Totemic Focus than 1/3 & 4/5, only because in most scenarios I can't see it being a huge amount of mana saved - but if we're talking premades where I guess the caliber of players is higher, I can respect 1/3 & 4/5.
(3) Is this point referencing the importance of Nature's Guidance? If so - I couldn't agree more. I feel this talent is non negotiable at the moment. Missing an interrupt, or a gap-closing frost shock is crazy. I do feel the pain of having purges resist too.

Can I challenge your thoughts as to why ele = resto as far as being viable (for pugs), when ele only has reduced shock cooldown & earth's grasp - with 5 points to spill over elsewhere (I say this to highlight you can't get Imp Ghostwolf [which becomes more powerful in TBC])
When resto can get you Nature's Guidance, Ancestral Healing (either being rank 1 in your scenario, or 3/3 in mine), a quicker heal cast, and then the option of going Healing Focus or Improved Ghost wolf?
Again, just want to summarise that I don't think Elemental isn't viable, I just disagree that it's as viable as restoration or an imp ghost wolf hybrid resto.
To me, although having 1 less second on your shock cooldown, having a chance to make it resisted makes it meaningless. Improved Earthbind is nice, but I still don't see it as being an equal trade off.

Interested in hearing what you say, and thanks for having a respectful opinion

I think you may have misunderstood some of my points. Not sure if I did a poor job explaining, if so, I apologize.

My point (1) is relevant because these mana reduction talents (Convection vs. Totem Focus / Tidal Focus) are based on %.

In regards to Convection vs. Totemic Focus / Tidal Focus...If you save 20% mana on a Rank 1 Earth Shock, that isn't much. But if you're saving 20% + 10%Clearcast on max rank Earth Shocks, that is more impactful. In pugs you're max ranking more than in premades because often times you have to actually pump in skirmishes. It isn't uncommon in pugs to have stretches of time where you don't cast many heals just because you're the primary damage dealer on offense. Whereas in premades, your damage is good, but it's more important in midfights and skirmishes to be focused on Purging / Healing / Interrupting Heals/CC than applying damage through shocks.
--
In regards to 0/0/20, yeah if you're the defensive healer it is a fine spec. But my guess is with how the meta has evolved, splits matter much less and I'd prefer to have Imp GW for transitional fights.
--
In regards to (3) I was confirming that Nature's Guidance is non-negotiable for premades.
--
My argument would never be that 2/5 Reverberation is better than 2/3 or 3/3 Nature's Guidance. But rather that 5/5 Convection + Elemental Focus makes you a much more sustainable offensive force in pugs. This is amplified by the fact that in premades it isn't uncommon to run 1500-HP/3000+Mana, but in pugs you typically want like 1.9kHP/2.4kMana because it isn't uncommon to play against teams of 5+ Rogue/Hunter with no other healers on your team.

The way I view it is that Elemental (13/7/0) has significantly better Offensive/Damage Dealing mana efficiency, plus some benefits to your Earthbind Totem and you get 3/3 Elemental Warding which does give you some tankiness which is nice in pugs -- FC'ing, 1v3's, etc.

Resto (0/7/13) is more Midfight mana efficient and Nature's Guidance.

Nature's Guidance is non-negotiable for premades because really your main role is to Purge and Earth Shock. Whereas in pugs, your role is much more varied. I think 13/7/0 lets you play a more aggressive role.

TL;DR
IMO there are only 2 real specs I would consider 0/7/13 and 13/7/0. 0/0/20 is viable. I like Imp Ghost Wolf.
"Elemental" (13/7/0) is Offensive mana efficient spec as you are max ranking shocks on cooldown a lot of the time. Also, Elemental Warding and Imp Earthbind are nice in pugs
"Resto" (0/7/13) is Midfight mana efficient spec because you totem and heal more, and are down ranking shocks. Also, Nature's Guidance is more important in that it lets you do your role the best.

I think you may have misunderstood some of my points. Not sure if I did a poor job explaining, if so, I apologize.

My point (1) is relevant because these mana reduction talents (Convection vs. Totem Focus / Tidal Focus) are based on %.

In regards to Convection vs. Totemic Focus / Tidal Focus...If you save 20% mana on a Rank 1 Earth Shock, that isn't much. But if you're saving 20% + 10%Clearcast on max rank Earth Shocks, that is more impactful. In pugs you're max ranking more than in premades because often times you have to actually pump in skirmishes. It isn't uncommon in pugs to have stretches of time where you don't cast many heals just because you're the primary damage dealer on offense. Whereas in premades, your damage is good, but it's more important in midfights and skirmishes to be focused on Purging / Healing / Interrupting Heals/CC than applying damage through shocks.
--
In regards to 0/0/20, yeah if you're the defensive healer it is a fine spec. But my guess is with how the meta has evolved, splits matter much less and I'd prefer to have Imp GW for transitional fights.
--
In regards to (3) I was confirming that Nature's Guidance is non-negotiable for premades.
--
My argument would never be that 2/5 Reverberation is better than 2/3 or 3/3 Nature's Guidance. But rather that 5/5 Convection + Elemental Focus makes you a much more sustainable offensive force in pugs. This is amplified by the fact that in premades it isn't uncommon to run 1500-HP/3000+Mana, but in pugs you typically want like 1.9kHP/2.4kMana because it isn't uncommon to play against teams of 5+ Rogue/Hunter with no other healers on your team.

The way I view it is that Elemental (13/7/0) has significantly better Offensive/Damage Dealing mana efficiency, plus some benefits to your Earthbind Totem and you get 3/3 Elemental Warding which does give you some tankiness which is nice in pugs -- FC'ing, 1v3's, etc.

Resto (0/7/13) is more Midfight mana efficient and Nature's Guidance.

Nature's Guidance is non-negotiable for premades because really your main role is to Purge and Earth Shock. Whereas in pugs, your role is much more varied. I think 13/7/0 lets you play a more aggressive role.

TL;DR
IMO there are only 2 real specs I would consider 0/7/13 and 13/7/0. 0/0/20 is viable. I like Imp Ghost Wolf.
"Elemental" (13/7/0) is Offensive mana efficient spec as you are max ranking shocks on cooldown a lot of the time. Also, Elemental Warding and Imp Earthbind are nice in pugs
"Resto" (0/7/13) is Midfight mana efficient spec because you totem and heal more, and are down ranking shocks. Also, Nature's Guidance is more important in that it lets you do your role the best.

Thanks man. Appreciate you breaking it down like that, makes much more sense.

Just some more questions though on your points;

(1) where are you saving 20% mana on a rank 1 earthshock in your example? I checked out Convenction and with 5 points it reduced mana by 10% - just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.
I do agree that Convection > Concussion if going the elemental tree, as 5% damage isn't much, you're looking at a 5-10 damage increase on your shocks which isn't crash hot (before SP increases).
Valid point in the pug vs premade argument re: being able to use high rank shocks in pugs to assist with damage, I currently have a shift modifier that swaps between ranks (lowest and highest)
Yeah, I agree strongly with that point re clashes, interruption & purging should be priorities, and healing as high of a priority in premades.

Imp ghostwolf is amazing - for pugs I can 100% agree it's a go to.
For premades, splits are still a thing - clash mid with each teams FC going to flag, and then assist and set up. We had one defensive shaman and one offensive shaman in premades and it worked very well. So I think spec is still very important here depending on the role you'll be playing, for defense I still think 0/0/20 is best, and for offense I think 0/7/13 is the way to go.
It'll be interesting to see how this evolves in TBC with flag carrier debuff coming.

(3) For premades, non negotiable - I couldn't agree more. For PUGs, I couldn't care what people put their talents into, but I still think if we're debating what's more viable, I still think having a purge or shock resisted, or a shock to miss is too punishing compared to being more mana efficient and providing more sustainable damage on offense.
If you're on offense, and chasing an EFC especially, a lot of your shocks will be gap closing frost shocks or earthshocks - with alliance having a strong druid FC presence in pugs at the moment, as you highlighted, naturally that's more nature resist meaning a higher chance to miss / be resisted - which I would argue would be ≤ to Nature's Guidance.
I find myself in PUGs playing offense and chasing EFCs more than anything lately and I hardly find myself OOM, admittingly, that's with downranked earthshock, but even max rank I wouldn't see my mana being an issue.
I have 2631 Mana, 2083HP at the moment - so a bit less than your PUG suggestion and I still find myself either killing EFC, or dying before I run out of mana.
I'm not trying to argue that you won't save mana in Elemental, I'm just arguing that mana saved doesn't mean as much if you're not running OOM, or if you're missing a shock or purge - as that ends up being too crucial to pass up.

Charged Gear's will be coming in the TBC prepatch too, so that's another 10 Nature Resist that most classes will be getting.

My TLDR:
In premades, Nature's Guidance is non negotiable.
If you're rolling with two shaman, having one on defense with 0/0/20 is fine, and the other offense with 0/7/13 is fine. Even two with 0/7/13 is OK.
In PUGs - If you're flag carrying, 13/7/0 is nice.
If RNG is on your side, 13/7/0 is nice for offense / damage / mana efficiency
For a tiny sacrifice in mana:damage, but better reliability, 0/7/13 is best.

I'm obviously not as well versed at Shaman specs as some of the people commenting here. Mooey, Wouch, and Savvy all know their shit. However, I think the 'arcane vs elemental' comparison between mage and shaman is pretty reasonable, with some context. Arcane Mage 'isnt viable' because its just a shit spec compared to the other options for Mage in 29s. Same mostly applies to Ele Shaman. Now, that doesnt mean the classes in general cant be viable. As savvy pointed out, some classes are so good in classic that they can spec 0/0/0 and be 'fine' for pug games.

However, 'not viable' framing it within the context that a spec doesn't offer any meaningful contributions that other specs dont do better is a fair take.

“Viable” defined: capable of working successfully; feasible.

Every spec is viable (I am an altaholic...I actually have a toon of every spec that I BG with). Arguing that one spec is better than another has NOTHING to do with viability.

Sorry that some people’s grasp of the English language sucks.

Every spec is viable (I am an altaholic...I actually have a toon of every spec that I BG with). Arguing that one spec is better than another has NOTHING to do with viability.

Same Charax. Always condescending, never knowing what he's talking about.

Please show us all your toons that have every spec accounted for. TY

No one's arguing your definition of what viable means.

I think the previous discussions eventually lead to "what's more viable" - which by definition would be, more successful, more feasible.
I'm sure for someone that has an alt of every spec you could attest that some specs are MORE viable / feasible than others (with the same objective at hand)

Not sure who you're apologising to there, but I think the bigger concern is the lack of comprehension that I see sometimes.

Same Charax. Always condescending, never knowing what he's talking about.

Please show us all your toons that have every spec accounted for. TY

In about a week or two, I will be posting my roster when I have finished earning honored rep with WSG on every spec focus. I’ll @ you.
[doublepost=1614952029,1614951793][/doublepost]
No one's arguing your definition of what viable means.

I think the previous discussions eventually lead to "what's more viable" - which by definition would be, more successful, more feasible.
I'm sure for someone that has an alt of every spec you could attest that some specs are MORE viable / feasible than others (with the same objective at hand)

Not sure who you're apologising to there, but I think the bigger concern is the lack of comprehension that I see sometimes.

As “viable” is defined as “capable of working successfully; feasible”, using the term “more viable” doesn’t make sense. Either something is viable or it is not.

I think that is where most of this conversation got tangled up in.

Now, if you want to make an argument that some specs are more effective than others, of course that’s true. No one would argue against that.

Danycarey here, think this is a great guide that highlights what is most likely the shamans best niche role (stack stam and int and be a disruptive presence that facillitates plays).

Would love to see an update for tbc - especially looking at what tbc enchants we think are best for the variety of weapons.

A final note is that with enough crit - like 23-25% and a fast weapon you have very solid flurry uptime, can also fish for flurry procs with wsg dagger with agility then swap to corpsemaker which I do versus cloth targets or exposed/sundered targets.

Users who are viewing this thread