Mistweaver General ideas / help before sub runs out

JadeFire

Worthless
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/bleeding-hollow/sugarkane

Got this guy I'm working on as a Mastery experiment. I have not played this MW so I'm just making shit up for the most part, mainly just based on a Resto I tried it with. I tried my Resto with stacking mastery (180%), but found it lacking as with all other healing specs Mastery is conditional... proximity to a target, how dead are they, do they have a buff on them, etc.

Mistweaver has no restriction, you just get a Gust of Wind which is about 400 free healing every time you cast Vivify/Env Mist/Renewing Mists... and you also get a tick on Soothing even tho it says you do not FYI. That is with 160% mastery (estimated to be the number actually in a BG going with the usual 16% loss on mastery world/BG)... not quite maxed out, but close.

I have a set of full gem BC gear with all +2int and +2verse... the Mastery set is way better on free casting numbers. I also just like the burst as its something the MW completely lacks at 20.

That is not the issue, the issue is what should I do about the other secondary stat? Stacking mastery comes at a huge cost where my haste is like 5%, my crit is 8% and my verse is 14% (mainly from an adaptable ring I have on that I will replace with Savant if I get one.. and the Circle of Flame which is obviously not going anywhere). I'm not a big fan of Versatility on a healer, but...

If I have to pick a stat that is not going to be over emphasized which one should it be? Haste helps but not at 5% its almost nothing, Crit at 8% is almost worthless... versatility I can stack more and just ditch Haste.

I doubt I will find all savant gear with a socket in time. But I can probably pick up a set of Mastery+whatever... and change up my numbers a bit.

Any ideas/thoughts on what other secondary might be best for stacking in a smaller-ish quantity? OR will it even matter?

Last edited:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/bleeding-hollow/sugarkane

Got this guy I'm working on as a Mastery experiment. I have not played this MW so I'm just making shit up for the most part, mainly just based on a Resto I tried it with. I tried my Resto with stacking mastery (180%), but found it lacking as with all other healing specs Mastery is conditional... proximity to a target, how dead are they, do they have a buff on them, etc.

Mistweaver has no restriction, you just get a Gust of Wind which is about 400 free healing every time you cast Vivify/Env Mist/Renewing Mists... and you also get a tick on Soothing even tho it says you do not FYI. That is with 160% mastery (estimated to be the number actually in a BG gong with the usual 16% loss on mastery world/BG)... not quite maxed out, but close.

I have a set of full gem BC gear with all +2int and +2verse... the Mastery set is way better on free casting numbers. I also just like the burst as its something the MW completely lacks at 20.

That is not the issue, the issue is what should I do about the other secondary stat? Stacking mastery comes at a huge cost where my haste is like 5%, my crit is 8% and my verse is 14% (mainly from an adaptable ring I have on that I will replace with Savant if I get one.. and the Circle of Flame which is obviously not going anywhere). I'm not a big fan of Versatility on a healer, but...

If I have to pick a stat that is not going to be over emphasized which one should it be? Haste helps but not at 5% its almost nothing, Crit at 8% is almost worthless... versatility I can stack more and just ditch Haste.

I doubt I will find all savant gear with a socket in time. But I can probably pick up a set of Mastery+whatever... and change up my numbers a bit.

Any ideas/thoughts on what other secondary might be best for stacking in a smaller-ish quantity? OR will it even matter?

@JadeFire PANDA B I S

I am not sure why mastery shows this high and how exactly 141 mastery translate to 186% (normally would be something like 50%), maybe it's a mistweaver thing. That said, if you are looking for other stats, I get that we are talking about bgs and haste decreasing cast times is important, but given that most spells are either instants or are made instants via channels I'd really try crit first. (I mean, let's go to the most basic thing - how do you save a target that is being focused? Soothing Mist -> insta Vivify / Enveloping. Haste doesn't help you as much as crit here.)

Last edited:
I’ve been playing mw for some time now and I do not regret going for full hp and then surging mist pvp talent. No counting instant heal makes it almost necessary to go for hp to survive burst. You could try to go for a lot of int and haste aswell but then u better be a god at fooling interrupting. Haste and then verse has been good for mw forever but these days I would recommend hp > int > mastery > haste > vers. It all comes down to playstyle and who you play with tho.

oh and yeh, mw have mana issues if u wanna do any healing at all. Helm is a big must all the time.

Ramped it up to 210% Mastery and 23% Haste... will know in 15 days if it is just another log on the fire.

Haste is a mixed bag versus versatility mainly since at this level they both equally help and hurt different abilities. Losing 2 Points of Verse from a Gem (instead of haste) makes Vivify/Expel Harm go down 2 points of healing... not that important but over 9 gems that is something. Haste makes Enveloping Mists/Soothing/Renewing go UP.

Last edited:
Idk about what's best, but here are some thoughts:
  • Mastery is great for healing throughput, and getting a chunk instantly at the start of your HoT's is nice. Downside is that it doesn't help your damage at all if you care about that.
  • Crit is unreliable and doesn't scale well in PvP. I'd avoid.
  • Versatility good but kinda boring and doesn't scale that well, but the damage reduction is a nice upside.
  • Haste is great, makes everything more responsive, helps healing and damage. It makes you burn through mana even faster though. Also the nature of MW healing being basically all channelled/instant means that you suffer less if you don't stack haste (especially if you DO stack mastery).
Mastery/Haste is what I'd go for for healing, Haste/Vers for a more hybrid-y approach. But I think apart from crit, everything is viable.

Static stats max cap at 126%. Anything over that is wasted, unless it’s coming from a non-static source (trinkets for the most part).
As most of your spells are insta or can be made insta, you’re only going to truly benefit from haste if you go hard enough to lower your GCDs.

nice mistweaver, @JadeFire. :)
how much does https://www.wowhead.com/spell=117907/mastery-gust-of-mists heal with 200%+ mastery?

World 210% is 423 Gust of Mists. I don't know for sure, but my Resto Shaman lost 16% mastery inside a BG... so with that in mind Mastery will be about 180ish and heal for 375.

I guess that is my other main issue, WHAT I DON'T KNOW: If I just take All BC gem gear and gem out +2int and +2verse/haste... I don't know what that makes my Vivify for example. Right now My Vivify with Gusts is basically 284 +420 every second... so if somebody who is gemmed to the teeth on a MW could tell me what their Vivify does + the low % of Mastery they have that might just end this experiment right now.

However, Gust is still added to every ability and solves the MW no insta heal issue, I cannot believe stacking HP/Talasites into every BC gem gear slot makes you overly effective. :p

World 210% is 423 Gust of Mists. I don't know for sure, but my Resto Shaman lost 16% mastery inside a BG... so with that in mind Mastery will be about 180ish and heal for 375.

I guess that is my other main issue, WHAT I DON'T KNOW: If I just take All BC gem gear and gem out +2int and +2verse/haste... I don't know what that makes my Vivify for example. Right now My Vivify with Gusts is basically 284 +420 every second... so if somebody who is gemmed to the teeth on a MW could tell me what their Vivify does + the low % of Mastery they have that might just end this experiment right now.

However, Gust is still added to every ability and solves the MW no insta heal issue, I cannot believe stacking HP/Talasites into every BC gem gear slot makes you overly effective. :p
126% is cap for secondaries from gear. https://www.wowhead.com/guides/diminishing-returns-on-secondary-stats-in-world-of-warcraft

I'm not gemmed "to the teeth" but with 205 spell power and 9.37% versatility, My Vivify is 315. With some quick maffs, I calculate that Vivify is about (1.40*SP)*(1+Vers%). Gust of Mists I believe is (Mastery%*SP)*(1+Vers%). So you should be able to calculate the tradeoff from there.
[doublepost=1613861463,1613860677][/doublepost]
Mastery is specifically handled differently. From the article: "Note that for Mastery, we are talking about Mastery Points instead of percentages, since every class has a different conversion of Mastery Points to Mastery%. Click here to learn how Mastery works"

It’s still 126 mastery points from gear, if I’m understanding this article correctly. Each specialization starts with 8 mastery points. So, you can have a total of 134 mastery points for your specialization. Anything over that would be wasted points.

Correct. 126 Mastery points. Which would be take almost 500 Mastery rating (the stat that's on gear) at level 20 WITHOUT diminishing returns. Or to put it in the context of MW monk, the mastery cap is ~562% (idk why the article says that the MW coefficient is 1, it's 4.2 currently in game). Nobody has to worry about hitting the mastery cap anytime soon, it's a ridiculous theoretical threshold.

I love reading these insights.
Haste is a good idea.

Vers is the best idea. If you're dead your heals mean nothing.

Get your hp at a good level. Get the helmet. Get the vers. Gg

P.S. might even make some new friends.

Users who are viewing this thread