LTB, MB Premade 9/25/11

I don't get it.

In bed, I mean.

Bonopo said:
After talking with Daydra via skype, I have determined that her PSU is fine, as it's supplying power to the computer. Her mobo light comes on, the LEDs in the case and the fans come on for a brief moment, only to turn off again. Together we identified a potential issue with the CPU heat sink/fan assembly that may be preventing the computer to power up. Since I am not able to diagnose the problems directly in person, she is going to have someone look at it to assess the extent of the damage.

Does it POST?

Kaorinite said:
Pretty sure I've always been outspoken. What's to "fit in" to, again?

Fair enough, but I'm refering to what you're outspoken about. I doubt you would've accused a guild or group of dodging in the past, especially considering that there hasn't been too much drama surrounding this. The fitting in was a reference to your new guild.

Mongro said:
Fair enough, but I'm refering to what you're outspoken about. I doubt you would've accused a guild or group of dodging in the past, especially considering that there hasn't been too much drama surrounding this. The fitting in was a reference to your new guild.

Not that I was being totally serious about it. Then again, it doesn't concern me either way. I'll actually be impressed if some sort of premade between Doomhammer and Dragonmaw actually takes place rather than falling through like other premade attempts have in the bracket's recent history.

Ohai said:
Does it POST?

No, it does not. As I said, the motherboard LED stays on, signifying there is at least power going to it, but the machine itself will not power up and stay on except for a brief moment. Again, I am not there in person, so I cannot diagnose it further. When I talked to her, she had been cleaning all the coffee residue she could from the machine, and she noticed that the right side of the heat sink/fan assembly was not secured to the motherboard. This leads me to believe a pre existing problem could have been exacerbated by the coffee spill.

She told me that the computer immediately shut itself off, and it appears as though the coffee spilled down through a fan located in the top of the case, down the inside of the case on the left, missing most of the major components. She then cleaned out as much as she could find, and I walked her through removing some of the components to make sure no liquid had gotten into the sockets, which could short out parts and prevent the computer from powering on. She also said her PSU is located in the bottom of the case, and that it doesn't appear as though any coffee reached it.

Without a firm seal of thermal paste between her CPU and heat sink, it's entirely possible some coffee got down in there and fried the CPU. Without taking the entire assembly off (which she isn't comfortable doing) it's hard to tell. So she's going to have a friend with computer knowledge look at it when she can. Basically, she just wants a second opinion on the matter before she goes and buys a new PSU.

When you get a new psu, go with Seasonic or gtfo. Grab an x750, it'll run silent, you probably won't even give your system enough of a load to make it even spin it's fan up. As far as power supplies go, seasonic simply blows coolermaster out of the water.

Bonopo said:
No, it does not. As I said, the motherboard LED stays on, signifying there is at least power going to it, but the machine itself will not power up and stay on except for a brief moment. Again, I am not there in person, so I cannot diagnose it further. When I talked to her, she had been cleaning all the coffee residue she could from the machine, and she noticed that the right side of the heat sink/fan assembly was not secured to the motherboard. This leads me to believe a pre existing problem could have been exacerbated by the coffee spill.

She told me that the computer immediately shut itself off, and it appears as though the coffee spilled down through a fan located in the top of the case, down the inside of the case on the left, missing most of the major components. She then cleaned out as much as she could find, and I walked her through removing some of the components to make sure no liquid had gotten into the sockets, which could short out parts and prevent the computer from powering on. She also said her PSU is located in the bottom of the case, and that it doesn't appear as though any coffee reached it.

Without a firm seal of thermal past between her CPU and heat sink, it's entirely possible some coffee got down in there and fried the CPU. Without taking the entire assembly off (which she isn't comfortable doing) it's hard to tell. So she's going to have a friend with computer knowledge look at it when she can. Basically, she just wants a second opinion on the matter before she goes and buys a new PSU.

Missed this before my last post. Sounds like the mobo could zapped, since the system turned itself off right away, i'd yank the psu and try it on a known working system, as it's fairly quick and easy to do, won't have to install the psu in the test system's case, just make the cable connections and see if it powers up and stays up. Hopefully it's not the mobo or cpu, as the power supply is one of the easiest components to replace. Hearing about your system running without the cpu heatsink properly seated is definitely cause for concern, as well. Get some leds and/or cold cathode bling in your case so you're more likely to have a look in there every once in awhile and can catch problems like unattached heatsinks. :)

reading the posts on the last page or two about computers makes my head hurt... I have understood like every other word

yeah I'm dumb

Shaket said:
Missed this before my last post. Sounds like the mobo could zapped, since the system turned itself off right away, i'd yank the psu and try it on a known working system, as it's fairly quick and easy to do, won't have to install the psu in the test system's case, just make the cable connections and see if it powers up and stays up. Hopefully it's not the mobo or cpu, as the power supply is one of the easiest components to replace. Hearing about your system running without the cpu heatsink properly seated is definitely cause for concern, as well. Get some leds and/or cold cathode bling in your case so you're more likely to have a look in there every once in awhile and can catch problems like unattached heatsinks. :)

I actually have/had pretty blue lights all over inside :p On a side note after some additional consideration and a look at the clips that hold the heat sink to the board it is entirely possible that in my frantic "omg must check for liquid wipe down", I was the culprit that knocked that loose. It seems two teeeeny plastic pieces on the left side of the heat sink broke off. I highly doubt it's been like that because I'm anal about opening it up to keep it dust free and certainly would have noticed that because of the fan on there being one spot i regularly spray.

I did manage to remove the heat sink from the board - after speaking to willy and a video tutorial step by step lawls. There was an "adequate amount of the goo however it likely will need redone now that I've had it off. That said if I knocked it loose....would it prevent it from turning on? The silver thing under it is still secure and i am NOT touching that. So picture a heat sink secure on one side but able to be partially lifted from board on the left side. That is what I currently have..... /facepalm

I suppose it doesn't really matter, as soon as i get a chance I'm running it up to a computer store to get evaluated. They, I suppose have the tools to test different things. Likely my best bet.

FML

Ps- today I caught myself setting my coffee cup to the left side of my desk and I immediately moved it to the stand within reach awayyyy from anything electronic. haha lesson learned!!!

Shaket said:
Sounds like the mobo could zapped, since the system turned itself off right away. Hearing about your system running without the cpu heatsink properly seated is definitely cause for concern, as well.

Both of these.

Sounds very similar to a situation I once had, I had to remove all the components and ship the mobo back for RMA. Lights and fans spun, then shut off, no POST.

Shaket said:

Cathodes are for spoiled Asian teenagers lololol. Corsair or gtfo when it comes to PSU's.

Igotoparties said:
Cathodes are for spoiled Asian teenagers lololol. Corsair or gtfo when it comes to PSU's.

Most corsair psu's are made by seasonic, for corsair, which is why I would for sure recommend corsair as a second choice to seasonic. There are a couple of corsair units made by Channel Well Technology, but their better units are made for them by seasonic.

Going to have to agree with you ont the cathode classification. ;) Although, coco does deserve all the trappings of a spoiled Asian teenager. :D

Daydra said:
Ps- today I caught myself setting my coffee cup to the left side of my desk and I immediately moved it to the stand within reach awayyyy from anything electronic. haha lesson learned!!!

Haha, I once spilled a little bit of vodka on top of my case. I was smashed and all I remember was grabbing a towel and wiping off the vodka for several minutes. I went to a house party, came back, passed out, woke up, checked my computer and it was fine!. A little sticky on top(that's what she said) but I cleaned it off and learned my lesson too. :p

[video=youtube;-mBilft7RiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mBilft7RiE&list[/video]

Edit:

Most corsair psu's are made by seasonic, for corsair, which is why I would for sure recommend corsair as a second choice to seasonic. There are a couple of corsair units made by Channel Well Technology, but their better units are made for them by seasonic.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Mine, been running strong for ~3 years now.

Igotoparties.....sure i may hate hunters(trolololol i haz nailspitter hunter) but....10/10 nice link!

Users who are viewing this thread