locked at 50, have no interest in Shadowlands. (long post)

KngConan

Veteran
Hey all. I posted a earlier thread in the 50s BFA group but it was too vague. So I thought I'd throw a more detailed question here if anyone has the time or grace to answer. FungulFury thanks for the earlier answer and I look forward to your input. Still absorbing all the info on XPoff.com regarding twinking. Awesome input from everyone.

I've been playing WoW on and off for the last 5 years or so. Never been hardcore in anything but I do like running BGs for the fun of it. Bought BFA but after a month or so, life got in the way and i never played it with any effort and went well over a year without playing it other than for a few minutes logged on here and there. Life, family has a way of getting in the way of gaming. Relegated my account to my daughter whos been the primary player. But i do like to log on just for a quick BG romp. Again, I'm really nothing more than a part time player at this point and I'm happy with it.

So, recently, I kind of got the spark to play again and have a few questions about TWINKING. Why twinking? For no other reason than to have viable toons that i can use my time to gear and park them for later BG'ing. Or Whatever. Maybe do some rep grinds or questing but for the most part BGs. I want to log on and then log off without really having to do anything. So with that said...... :

With TWINKING in mind, since I'm BFA only, I assume for the purposes of these forums, "BFA capped" means you don't have Shadowlands and your capped at 50 in BfA(max level limit) unlike a "50 locked" toon who is someone that has Shadowlands but has locked, xp-off, that particular toon. If both have different meanings, how does that change the dynamic for that toon under either circumstance? In other words, are queue times for a "capped" toon vs a "locked" toon, different? Same, faster, slower? Or does it even matter?

As for gearing a "capped" toon or alt, I would assume that running M+ is the best way to gear. Or is there a better method? And is it even possible now that Shadowlands is up an running, and most people have moved on? Maybe mog runs in a group for BFA raids, if those groups are kind enough to allow me to tag along? Or am i just wasting my time trying to find the gear needed to twink?

As I've said, I'm a part time player at best. No desire to play Shadowlands for now. I get some joy out of playing WoW here and there and love it but I'd rather just max gear a toon at 50, log on, play some BGs, then get off. Or am i just wasting my time doing this?

Also, any guilds kind enough to read this, I'm on Bleeding Hollow, alliance. If you are a twinking guild and my direction suits your guild, hit me up on here. If a part time player is ok, I'd like to join.

Anyway, thanks for any and all input. Very much appreciated. As always, have a good one!!

to easily gear you have ilvl 80-94 green boes, ilvl 100 and 87 crafted items. All from SL. Buy them on the ah. Get your heart of Azeroth and legendary cloak, get trinket from corrupted aspirant vendor or from bg wins. There is no bfa m+ anymore. 8.3 world boss can give some 110ilvl loot. Visions of nzoth content can be ran for up to 125ilvl loot. As a new player you won’t be able to do much in vision content though until you get more power.

in BGs essences and azerite traits don’t work, but the legendary cloak rank 12 proc does. Gearing for pvp will be much easier than pve gearing for islands/visions.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/kelthuzad/yangster
This toon is a day or 2 of work with a few carries in visions for the cloak ranks.
they still need azerite gear which has more main stats at the same ilvl, max cloak, and some higher ilvl gear

The toons in my sig can be considered fully max geared. Just missing select items from the last 2 bosses in nyalotha.

60s are not doing nyalotha runs yet. Their power is not high enough for the casuals who missed the raid and that group of players also likely don’t have essences and az gear to help their transmog zergs.

eventually it will be possible to get your max gear by getting carried in the raid 25 mins a week for like 2-3 weeks, but atm it’s like we are still playing bfa. Finding someone to help you with your legendary cloak progression, and getting high gear from vision scenarios is the only real path to gearing right now as a fresh toon, other than boes and world quest gear. Putting in the effort is rewarding. That mw monk I linked went from useless to being more powerful than 50-60% of avg players you encounter in 50s, all in 2 days of work. With a veteran player guiding them.

This bracket has what you’re looking for. The ability to log on, play some bgs, no maintenance or anything. But to get to that point, you have as much work as any other twink. Going from nothing to max geared. Once you get there, you are free though. It feels good to be max geared on my toons. All I have to worry about is playing games. Feels like I’m at the top of the food chain etc. I can log on and solo queue and not worry about who’s on teams cause I know I’ll be able to enjoy the game either way with my power.

Id recommend joining the bracket on something strong in bgs, and taking it easy and just enjoying the games and improving your toon via solo 8.3/world content and legendary cloak progression. Hopefully casual 60s can start clearing nyalotha during this raid tier, but right now the bracket is going to be unbalanced with max geared bfa kings such as myself.

Last edited:
@zazzyfraz is a 50's wizard and I agree with everything he has said here.

The anxiety involved in acquiring end game BiS in an endless rat race is just too much for me. I used to play in the 119s and 99s bracket and I am enjoying this bracket just as much. The deal breaker for me is being able to fine tune a twink and show him off in bgs. If you're willing to put a little time into getting a few items early on like your cloak and neck you'll be in a good spot for sure in bgs.

Last edited:
Right now 50 has no XPOff bracket, the queue is merged.

to easily gear you have ilvl 80-94 green boes, ilvl 100 and 87 crafted items. All from SL. Buy them on the ah. Get your heart of Azeroth and legendary cloak, get trinket from corrupted aspirant vendor or from bg wins. There is no bfa m+ anymore. 8.3 world boss can give some 110ilvl loot. Visions of nzoth content can be ran for up to 125ilvl loot. As a new player you won’t be able to do much in vision content though until you get more power.

in BGs essences and azerite traits don’t work, but the legendary cloak rank 12 proc does. Gearing for pvp will be much easier than pve gearing for islands/visions.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/kelthuzad/yangster
This toon is a day or 2 of work with a few carries in visions for the cloak ranks.
they still need azerite gear which has more main stats at the same ilvl, max cloak, and some higher ilvl gear

The toons in my sig can be considered fully max geared. Just missing select items from the last 2 bosses in nyalotha.

60s are not doing nyalotha runs yet. Their power is not high enough for the casuals who missed the raid and that group of players also likely don’t have essences and az gear to help their transmog zergs.

eventually it will be possible to get your max gear by getting carried in the raid 25 mins a week for like 2-3 weeks, but atm it’s like we are still playing bfa. Finding someone to help you with your legendary cloak progression, and getting high gear from vision scenarios is the only real path to gearing right now as a fresh toon, other than boes and world quest gear. Putting in the effort is rewarding. That mw monk I linked went from useless to being more powerful than 50-60% of avg players you encounter in 50s, all in 2 days of work. With a veteran player guiding them.

This bracket has what you’re looking for. The ability to log on, play some bgs, no maintenance or anything. But to get to that point, you have as much work as any other twink. Going from nothing to max geared. Once you get there, you are free though. It feels good to be max geared on my toons. All I have to worry about is playing games. Feels like I’m at the top of the food chain etc. I can log on and solo queue and not worry about who’s on teams cause I know I’ll be able to enjoy the game either way with my power.

Id recommend joining the bracket on something strong in bgs, and taking it easy and just enjoying the games and improving your toon via solo 8.3/world content and legendary cloak progression. Hopefully casual 60s can start clearing nyalotha during this raid tier, but right now the bracket is going to be unbalanced with max geared bfa kings such as myself.

This was very helpful for me too. I never played or even bought BFA, so I'm lost in that expansion. Parked my "main" at 49 to work on getting some profession recipes and work on rep and stuff with chromie time. After that I'm looking forward to working on building my 50.

Keep up the good work guys, thanks for all you so here

Users who are viewing this thread