Literature - Do you read?

Dedruid

Legend
So I have just finished my beloved 'Wheel of Time' series - A Wheel of Time Wiki - A wiki dedicated to the world of WOT - this is by far, my favourite adventure fantasy novel series written! Although I have not read a truck load of books, I cannot deny that this - in my opinion - even tops the fabled 'Lord of the Rings' series and it's prequel 'The Hobbit' by a mile! This is filled with a massive amount of adventure - travelling across the world Robert Jordan made for this book series. A lot of stories are cloaked behind mystery - in my opinion a book with mysterious values and things you have to figure out as well as the character if you wish the full effect. Romance - not an amazing fan of it, but some of you may be!
To me, this series is an immense project, I am glad to have been recommended it by my father, that Robert Jordan and later Brandon Sanderson (due to Robert Jordan's untimely passing) created and put on paper - and eventually into my mind.
This is a book series of fourteen books - all consisting from 500 to 1,100 pages - this is a lot of pages for some of you. However, to me - this series was worth it. Robert Jordan published the first book; Eye of the World, in 1990 originally planning it to be only a few books, soon found that he could not possibly complete the work he completed - without disappointing the readers - in just a mere five (I think this was his planned number of books at first) so from there he extended it to reach twelve books. In 2007, on September 16[SUP]th[/SUP] Robert Jordan passed away - due to cardiac amyloidosis. May he rest in peace. His legacy was decided, by Robert's wife, to be continued by Brandon Sanderson.
Sanderson may not be Jordan, but he is doing a good job to try continue the legacy - not copying, but continuing. Upon receiving this task, there was told to be somewhat around 2,000 pages of notes for the final book twelve. 2,000 pages of notes! This could not possibly be put all in a single book without reaching a good 3,000 odd pages. So Sanderson and Harriet Rigney (Robert Jordan's wife) decided to split it into three books - twelve, thirteen and fourteen.
Anyway, I digress. I recommend this book to any that like to read, you may not finish it within a week like some books. You may not finish it within a month, like some series. But the time it takes to read this series will be time well spent - if you're like me though, you will get pretty emotional after it finishes.

Now, enough about my literacy choices, what about you all? What do you like to read? Do you recommend any books/series to others?

I dont read much, but I love it when I do. Maybe I should read more...

Some of my favourites include:
The Egyptian
Millenium Series (Girl with the dragon tattoo)
The Stranger

Not so much into fantasy, the books I like tend to have atleast some ties with reality.

If you ever have the opportunity, I'd recommend reading The Egyptian. Its a book that has received praise from historians aswell as from the public. The book does not really have a red line, instead it just tells a story of a very interesting fictional person in the ancient Egypt, and also makes you think about existential questions (Has the humanity learned anything from its mistakes?).

Political satires and biographies are also something I like to read.

I dont read much, but I love it when I do. Maybe I should read more...

Some of my favourites include:
The Egyptian
Millenium Series (Girl with the dragon tattoo)
The Stranger

Not so much into fantasy, the books I like tend to have atleast some ties with reality.

If you ever have the opportunity, I'd recommend reading The Egyptian. Its a book that has received praise from historians aswell as from the public. The book does not really have a red line, instead it just tells a story of a very interesting fictional person in the ancient Egypt, and also makes you think about existential questions (Has the humanity learned anything from its mistakes?).

Political satires and biographies are also something I like to read.
I shall try to read your favourites when get the time.
Robert Jordan's world is structured on many cultures from reality - it is not completely reality though.

I've read the entire wheel of times series aswell. I just love fantasy, just love it. Whenever I'm on holiday I just devour them. On the top of my head a few very good writers: Robert Jordan, Branden Sanderson, David Eddings (not his last books), Robin Hobb, Elizabeth Hayden (I think?), and just loads more, too many to name really. I'd have to go to my little library and check. But then I would have to get up, and I'm so nice and comfy next to the fireplace, I'll check another time :)

I've read the entire wheel of times series aswell. I just love fantasy, just love it. Whenever I'm on holiday I just devour them. On the top of my head a few very good writers: Robert Jordan, Branden Sanderson, David Eddings (not his last books), Robin Hobb, Elizabeth Hayden (I think?), and just loads more, too many to name really. I'd have to go to my little library and check.
We shall marry in Emond's Field on Bel tine.

Never used a single cheat - clocked the first two games at the age of nine.
Sometimes used the cheat to remove the Fog of War though, that is the only one though. I swear!

pepperoni pizza pepperoni pizza pepperoni piza coinage coinage quarry quarry quarry woodstock woodstock woodstock no fog reveal map steroid hoyohoyo

Wow never heard of the wheel of time series. Might give it a try then!

I checked wikipedia and saw there was a prequel to the first book. Should I read the prequel first or the original one first? =)

Also, if you haven't read the A Song of Ice and Fire series you should really do. I'm on the 3rd book now and loving it.

I checked wikipedia and saw there was a prequel to the first book. Should I read the prequel first or the original one first? =)

Also, if you haven't read the A Song of Ice and Fire series you should really do. I'm on the 3rd book now and loving it.

The thing I thought about the wheel of time series, is that the guy was loosing his marbles at the end of it all. In the middle he just keeps going on and on about the same things and keeps inventing new story lines which are unnessasary. He actually never finished the series, he died before he could. Brandon Sanderson wrapped it up in 2 books. You can basicly read the first few books and then the last 2 and you'll understand the entire storyline. Still, awesome series!

As Whatgoesup said. But I recommend you read the prequel - not read it myself (the local library sadly does not have it - nor does the book store). But I am 17 - soon to be 18. Started reading the series when I was 15 - I fell in love at the first book. Have read books 1-13 twice. But if you're not a reader that likes to just read, then do as Whatgoesup suggests - you may miss some minor plots - and parts of the major - but you may get the full effect (personally would rather not).

I also enjoyed the; The Belgariad - David Eddings Wiki series by David Eddings - he is one of the original D&D people so gets most of his stuff from that. I am told his later work with his Wife Leigh Eddings are supposed to be his doom though - which is sad, I loved the Belgariad series! Been meaning to read more of his work.

All his work, except for his last series, is definiatly worth reading. David Eddings were the first fantasy books I ever read, probably back when I was 11. They are amazing, well written, they grab you, and I'm still sad his series are never longer than 6 books =/ But yeah, sadly he too started to kinda, "lose his marbles" and the last series is just bad, so don't read that.

All his work, except for his last series, is definiatly worth reading. David Eddings were the first fantasy books I ever read, probably back when I was 11. They are amazing, well written, they grab you, and I'm still sad his series are never longer than 6 books =/ But yeah, sadly he too started to kinda, "lose his marbles" and the last series is just bad, so don't read that.
Raymond E. Feist?
Terry Pratchett? More of a comedy fantasy writer in my opinion. :p

Tim Powers - Anubis Gates
and On Stranger Tides was the second best audio book (next to the old BBC Lord of the Rings)

Users who are viewing this thread