EU+US Islands Expeditions General Discussion

I noticed they used to give over 100k xp per as a bonus, that is down to 70k or so.

The amount of mobs are way less.

TBH I find the new layout pretty boring. Part of the fun for me was pulling a massive stack of shit and globalling it. Now if I do that I am probably pulling disorient mobs, root mobs, stun mobs, and magic damage mobs that hurt like hell when 5-10 of them are shooting you every 1-2 seconds.

Also done about 10 now and not a single piece of loot/mount/pet. Pretty lame as I killed every rare in every one I did...
that's just bad RNG. I've done 10 since 8,1 and got 4-5 pets, 1 xmog and 1 quest item o_O or maybe i got great RNG but that's not possible =D

I wonder if it is based on our past? The char I have been doing them with has done days /played of them. I haven't gotten all the pets/mounts...not even close. I did get a lot of the tmog though. I thought you could get pieces more than once?

I wonder if it is based on our past? The char I have been doing them with has done days /played of them. I haven't gotten all the pets/mounts...not even close. I did get a lot of the tmog though. I thought you could get pieces more than once?

Nothing about characters changes loot drops. It’s entirely RNG.

I’ve gotten every type of loot from Islands possible on my 111 (120 greens, 120 blues, pets, mounts, doubloons).

add basilisks to the list of cc mobs.
so far my favorite spots have been turtles and wolves. they seem to spawn the most targets in their area. i really have to make a plan for gathering up mobs. i seem to be wasting a lot of time running back to a more populated area. one thing id also like to add is on both new islands there’s a cave around the middle ive been pulling trains into.
if that last sentence sounds sexy it’s because it was intended.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/dethecus/Tazerface

got my headpiece leggo and hoooooollleeeeeyyy sheeeeet. the azerite one i was using gave a .7 reduction in eyebeam cool down for every orb, which was working fine, but the leggo headpiece just destroys that. 100% uptime on eyebeam and the bonus leech while in metamorphosis is crazy. hoping to have leggo boots made for the extra sockets then i can change out a trinket for an aoe dmg one.

Take tazerface and go kill this rare right now. https://www.wowhead.com/npc=139980/taja-the-tidehowler

edit- and then focus on the shoulders from freeholds last boss, but that's RNG.

When it's up, https://www.wowhead.com/npc=134717/umbrarix is a world boss that has the shoulder trait you need. Just hang around until someone kills it or make your own LFG group and hope. Was just up so it could be a little bit before its up again. Has lots of health and it spawns adds that will all be 120 to you, so...

Last edited:
Are people still running 2x Eyes of Rage or swapping to 1x Eyes of Rage and 1x Furious Gaze for DH now that the density is down and unlikely to regularly be pulling as big, especially with some of the mob types having some pretty nasty CC and damage? Furious Gaze is really nice if you're getting mob types where you can only safely grab a couple packs/rares at once. I just started testing out some runs with 1x Furious Gaze to see if I noticed much of a difference, but it'll take a pretty large sample size before I'm able to tell much. May be worth swapping depending on the mob set, since if you have something like trolls where it isn't particularly safe to pull big, you might want the increased single target for bursting down the remaining rares/higher HP mobs after you blow up the lower hp mobs with a beam or two.

Edit: I never really played around with Furious Gaze before in islands, so this may be old news to other people, but the duration of Furious Gaze does stack and if you spam a bunch of beams in a row you can get the buff up to a pretty significant duration

Also, not sure if this is new or just really rare, but I just got a Humming Azerite Heart as an end reward, that gave me 22650 AP (I am 110 for reference)
6Uk32JN.png

Last edited:
Appears to have been unintentional, as I'm seeing that there were people who were getting them every run and racking up hundreds of thousands of AP prior to a hotfix of some sort. I figured was just some minuscule chance and I got lucky.

We experimented w/ the World Boss and the Twink starting the group. The Twink got ZERO loot (this was on Azurethos in TS) so I'm not sure this is foolproof. Maybe it only works on certain mobs.

I've done dozens of islands since 8.1 and the loot seems fine (no mounts yet, but over half a dozen pets, plenty of mog). There seem to be 111 elites everywhere and I can only assume that the intention is to provide a challenge to the soon-to-be 370-ish or so iLv of the average 120 player (speculating here). My Power of the Moon druid is a complete pile of hot steaming garbage now and is swapping back over to a more conventional Boomy w/ High Noon x2 and an Arcanic Pulsar piece (new trait, seems quite good). The loss of the 2 leggos and a pair of iLv 300 pieces that I planned out is pretty tough, but I knew it was going to get nerfed somewhat. Did not expect that it would be made completely and utterly worthless so that kind of sucks.

Maybe it's just me, but the Azerite Extractor seems to pull like 20- or 30-some odd Az on its own once you engage it so "fire and forget" rather than camping it. I've been pulling a few mobs in the first minute or so, then going back the way I came to pop chests and Az nodes. The flight whistle upgrade is cute, but takes quite a while, like 20 seconds or so I'd reckon, so keep that in mind when you consider using it.

getting more resources faster from doing the help quests and hitting all the sparkly spots that “charge” up with an icon of your heart of azeroth as its channeling. also the bonus 700 ap quests(level 111)after the island is over seem to be rewards from completing the help quests. the most mobs seem to spawn when the second stage starts. beaches get spawns closer together but the elites in the group almost always hit hard or have long ass cc.
[doublepost=1544992238,1544980691][/doublepost]off topic but not really- which class do you all think at 120 has the best chance at mass pull farming IE’s? alot of the cheeves for the islands you need to be 120 and since i have a huge boner for islands right now i guess ill be leveling a main. jeeesus christ what have i become!?

getting more resources faster from doing the help quests and hitting all the sparkly spots that “charge” up with an icon of your heart of azeroth as its channeling. also the bonus 700 ap quests(level 111)after the island is over seem to be rewards from completing the help quests. the most mobs seem to spawn when the second stage starts. beaches get spawns closer together but the elites in the group almost always hit hard or have long ass cc.
[doublepost=1544992238,1544980691][/doublepost]off topic but not really- which class do you all think at 120 has the best chance at mass pull farming IE’s? alot of the cheeves for the islands you need to be 120 and since i have a huge boner for islands right now i guess ill be leveling a main. jeeesus christ what have i become!?

Tough call as to what would do best as a 120. I’d think tank spec excluding warrior (haven’t heard good things about prot warriors this expansion). Either that or a class that can apply a ton of AoE damage.

I do islands with my 120s for the weekly. Classes I have seen that do okay: BM Hunter and Arcane Mage. Arcane Mage was just insane...was 380ish ilvl and was just taking shit down.

Hi! Been thinking about making a islands twink. If it's okey i would want to ask a few questions, shall it be 110 or 111 (seen both but what makes the difference?). And isnt mythic antorus gear better? (except helmet, chest, shoulders,neck) and wha class would you recommend to start with?

DH really own the place. I have a lock/ret/DH. Just started to gear up the DH, so my ret is my best one atm...but DH...omg.

Once I get my ant 2 piece and a bit more ilvl, i expect to be taking that island down faster than my ret does.

shall it be 110 or 111 (seen both but what makes the difference?).
110 scales better. Some people opt for 111 as that opens up BFA crafted gear, and getting the full benefit of BFA gems, so if you don't plan to run heroic/mythic antorus a bunch then 111 can be a quicker way to jump right in since the crafted gear has decent ilevel. The 111 crafted gear isn't better than mythic antorus gear though, which is going to be the best option for most slots regardless of if you're 110 or 111, but starting out is going to be a lot quicker with being able to get full crafted gear at 111. So basically 110 for the best results, 111 for the least effort to still be reasonably effective.

Users who are viewing this thread