Is twinking worth it?

ShuckleVGC

Hey guys, sorry for the clickbait title, I'm new here and very excited to join the community!

I've always been interested in twinking, but more recently my severe burnout from retail systems and PvE grinds has pushed me away from end game content, and I'm looking for a way to enjoy PvP without the need to replace my gear every 3 months.

Here are my burning questions:

1. Are level 20 twinks actually strong vs level 29 levellers? I'm not actually interested in being OP, I just want to be able to play without feeling weak.

2. As an EU player, are the queues for 20 BGs good or bad? Does this depend on faction and/or server? I'm currently a horde on Ravencrest, as all my abomination toons are there.

3. Are sub rogues any good? I'm a sub rogue main, but am worried that not having access to stealth abilities in combat kills the entire class. I would play Sin, but Thunderfury mog ‍♂️

Thanks for the help!
Oh, and I have read through the FAQs :)

1. Yes, they are stronger if geared properly. That's because of gems, enchants and access to better items in slots for which there are no heirlooms.

2. EU is good. There are queues throughout the day and very short queue times in evenings.

3. Sub is nice. It has decent dmg and very good control. Don't expect rogue to be a one shot machine although it's possible with 2x bombs and proper setup. Play gloomblade to bypass armor and boost your damage. Eviscerate hits like a wet noodle so don't expect it to kill stuff. Crit/haste/vers is the stat priority. Avoid mastery.
Assassination is a good spec as well, might be better even in terms of dmg. Outlaw is a meme spec regardless of what ppl on xpoff tell you.

Welcome to the bracket.

1. Yes, they are stronger if geared properly. That's because of gems, enchants and access to better items in slots for which there are no heirlooms.

2. EU is good. There are queues throughout the day and very short queue times in evenings.

3. Sub is nice. It has decent dmg and very good control. Don't expect rogue to be a one shot machine although it's possible with 2x bombs and proper setup. Play gloomblade to bypass armor and boost your damage. Eviscerate hits like a wet noodle so don't expect it to kill stuff. Crit/haste/vers is the stat priority. Avoid mastery.
Assassination is a good spec as well, might be better even in terms of dmg. Outlaw is a meme spec regardless of what ppl on xpoff tell you.

Welcome to the bracket.

Thanks man :) much appreciated <3

and I'm looking for a way to enjoy PvP without the need to replace my gear every 3 months.
Got some bad news for you regarding the state of twinking for the the past 5 years or so...

While its not quite the end-game gear treadmill, 20s twinking hasn't been "gear it and leave it" since like... Legion? It seems like every major patch brings some adjustments that require a shift in gear. While the broad strokes of gearing havent changed much in SL (sockets are, more or less, the dominating factor) any adjustments Blizz makes to the gear scaling formulas and whatnot can cause a change in what piece of gear is or isnt BIS.

That said! Its super easy to account for this and be ready for it. As you build your twink, have multiple gear sets. I know Ivo gave you a solid stat prio and you should follow it, but just also have on hand a variety of gear (specifically 2-3 socket gear from TBC and wrath dungeons) for a variety of different stat distributions. If stats on gear change in the future, chances are one of these pieces will end up BIS and hey... you've already got it!

Also stock up several stacks of gems (+3 agi, +2agi/+whatever-other-stats) and your necessary enchants. That way when/if you do need to change gear, you wont have to re-sub for gems and enchants.

Happy twinking!

While we are at it, can someone please relink the discord server? The link in the armory thread doesnt seem to work, at least for me. Thx.
In regard to the topic, yeah, EU is fine (<10minute queues) and theres always 5+ people online in the comunities (up for pve or other stuff). The only thing i m not able to find is a guild on any EU server (horde or ally), you know, for some extra socializing.

Yes, you are EU, but let me speak on NA's behalf for anyone new that is wondering. Twinking is actually dog shit these days. Yes, if you want to spend 5 to 10 mins waiting for a game only on weekends, rather longer if you are queing late night like myself. Outside of that, most plebs play alliance as their main faction. Alliance wins the majority of games, on horde I actually have to try hard, on alliance I can play things like elemental shaman and still win. More premades que on alliance then horde, except late at night its the reversal. Hordes premades are worse than alliance, and have worse players in the premades. Most good horde players solo que so games are usually unbalanced. Most the good horde players left and only come on to play wargames, which never happens. If you want to play organized arena, that is actually decent. It's more competitive and more balanced and that is where you will find more skilled people. Bgs are a hog wash, they are super lopsided 80 percent of the time, with a good game here and there. Back in 2018 when BFA was still around being level 29 made the game much more enjoyable. More abilities, more skill gap, still the same amount of premades, but more balanced IMO. Hunters are the king of the hill with holy priests, shadow priests, arcane mages, holy paladins, ret paladins, fury warriors following behind them...As far as gearing is concerned, there is more options to gear, which requires more time and effort. If you're into that thing, than that is enjoyable. You can roll a hunter in BOAs and still beat someone who is fully socket-ed on another class. If you're into pve, ftp is the way to go. I dread farming, but if you are an achievement whore or want to indulge your time in the environment rather then pvp, the ftp route has a lot of options you can do. The pinnacle of twinking is in wrath and will be far greater than anything on retail. If they introduce classic wrath that is where I will be heading most likely.

As long as you don’t turn your exp off this patch you’re fine. There are a few ways to get around blizzards change.

If your twink had its exp off prior to 8.2, you’re fine. Party members don’t receive the debuff unless you relock your exp.

If you want to pvp at 110, you can also turn exp on and transfer the character to a new account that isn’t upgraded to Bfa. You’ll still be able to join bgs but can’t do any bfa content and can’t level to 111.

Users who are viewing this thread