Is ghost iron dragonling all that great?

It's annoying to have someone be given that title and no be proper about it. I've known Blackberry for a while, know how he gets. If my mans can be professional on the site as admin, should follow those same steps. Lookin out for the twink community is all.
Your complaints have been registered.

A few classes that value haste like to use both. But for me as a hunter I prefer to use a metasocket tbc helm and just the dragonling.
aye, you can double stack haste or crit. Then run vers/mast and meta gem in the helm (or use any other helm, I suppose) and then set up a haste/haste/crit trinket and a crit/crit/haste trinket and swap them as swapping specs requires. Thats how I set it up. And I also grabbed another couple trinkets for various combos when not running the engi goggs.

Might be overkill, but I like the flexibility.

I’ll just throw in (since I didn’t see anyone else mention it) that you’re limited on the cogwheels that you can put in it. I believe there’s only 1 mastery cogwheel, and it’s unique equipped. But there is (if my memory is correct) 2 haste and 2 critical strike cogwheels, as well as some others (parry, versatility, maybe dodge?). Anyways, just an FYI, you can’t stack all mastery cogwheels (sad day).

I use this trinket on all my 20s. Like @Chops said, the dragon that procs happens quite a bit, and I believe it’s attack is a chain lightning attack. It’s been great on my prot warrior. And I chose this over some other trinkets because mastery seems to stack really well for some classes (wars, warlocks, hunts) so I’d rather have that (and other secondaries) than 90 more hit points.

If you’re were on Aerie Peak I’d hook you up! I made a bunch. I bet you could find someone to make it for you pretty cheap.

Have to ask since I have hunter warrior. I'm guessing you opted for a different helm than killshades if you're using dragonling right - probably a 3 socket helm?

I'm also trying to do that - have some flexibility by just locking down both engineering items but wanted to verify that the trinket, as a stat stick + a proc is actually decent and just not blown out of the water by some powerful trinket or other gear combo

as a stat stick + a proc is actually decent and just not blown out of the water by some powerful trinket or other gear combo
depends, I suppose. Elekk Tusk is really quite good and pairs nicely with Colossus Smash/Sharpened Blade. If you're running fury, dragon might make more sense for the constant 20 haste. Hell, the Pit Fighter from DMF is sexy as hell for warriors.

1 question i came across on review of the f2p guide - you recommend pandaria goggles. I've seen people running around with cata ones. Are the pandaria ones superior? Or do they both scale to the same?

A few classes that value haste like to use both. But for me as a hunter I prefer to use a metasocket tbc helm and just the dragonling.
[doublepost=1606262641,1606262502][/doublepost]

I agree with the sentiment but Chops does appear on all the threads pretty much . Helping all types of players at different levels of the game - it's cool af.
Oh, Yeah, for sure, not sayin he doesn't help xD
Roger

1 question i came across on review of the f2p guide - you recommend pandaria goggles. I've seen people running around with cata ones. Are the pandaria ones superior? Or do they both scale to the same?

The difference I noticed is that the cata goggles give one less primary stat as a bonus, whereas pandaria goggles give 2.

Theyre more or less the same, but cata goggles require Chaos Orbs, which are easy enough to buy off the AH, but cant be acquired by a pure F2P. Panda goggles are their only option.

depends, I suppose. Elekk Tusk is really quite good and pairs nicely with Colossus Smash/Sharpened Blade. If you're running fury, dragon might make more sense for the constant 20 haste. Hell, the Pit Fighter from DMF is sexy as hell for warriors.
I use pit fighter as prot war. It’s sexy. I’ve heard good things about elekk tusk, and it’s easy to get.
[doublepost=1606265152,1606264861][/doublepost]
Have to ask since I have hunter warrior. I'm guessing you opted for a different helm than killshades if you're using dragonling right - probably a 3 socket helm?

I'm also trying to do that - have some flexibility by just locking down both engineering items but wanted to verify that the trinket, as a stat stick + a proc is actually decent and just not blown out of the water by some powerful trinket or other gear combo

I actually made the goggles and socketed them because I was impatient and thought they’d be bis after nerf. I currently wear the 3 gem tbc helm that has 12 crit (I think). I guess it comes down to how important secondary stats are to you (that aren’t always crit, like most tbc gear).

What I like about the trink is the enormous secondary stat boost and auto proc. I can smash other buttons and not worry about a trinket. The pit fighter trink is auto proc, too. 40 mastery I believe. Easy to get, also.
[doublepost=1606265311][/doublepost]Also, here’s a good thread to check out:

https://xpoff.com/threads/f2p-vet-armory-list.266/

it gives you an idea of what people are using for your class. My warrior is Pneuma.

Ghost Iron Dragonling - Materials Top Tip (For those late to the party like me.)

If you're finding that the Windwool Cloth drop rates on many of the spots mentioned on Wowhead are low, this will help.

Slitherscale Eggdrinkers are a source of the cloth you need, with the added bonus that they will spawn near or actually in combat with a Windward Matriarch.

So simply tag them, kite any nearby into the right spot, and the mobs will do most of the work for you. The rate at which you can burn through them, thanks to your new friends, compensates for the low drop rate.

No need for co-ordinates since there's only one area they spawn - a bit of a trek, but worth it IMHO. Just run up & down the saddle/spit of land you'll find. I never ran out.

As an added bonus, there are a few ore nodes nearby so you can mine Ghost Iron Ore & the occasional Black Trillium Ore, which I'm not sure why I want but it sounds cool. (Unlike cloth, I seemed to be getting one ore per node in Pandaria last week - now I get 2-4 which I'm not sure is down to increasing skill, so this one spot may meet a large % of your needs.)

Enjoy.

I've seen people use this presumably as part of a mastery stack. Is the dragonling any good? I'm struggling to see a use case for most classes. For hunters you can get harlan's loaded die with a socket which i imagine is probably better. Am i missing something here?

@Malgibbon UR TRINKETS WERE YUMMY !

You quoted me helping a new member while telling a notorious troll to fuck off... so you could yell at me about not being helpful?

Just passing through here, I thought I had nothing to say... but this guy just went off on you because of his own inability to read, and after your reply to him and give him some context so he can apologize for misunderstanding your comment, he still didn't manage to realize that he somehow read everything wrong. I do mean everything.

So instead of him re-reading everything in proper context, and meditate on how subpar his reading comprehension is, and SOS go back to school (online basic english course or something.. anything will help) he still kept criticizing even more.... He apparently couldn't understad, even after the context was explained to him, that if he kept going and talking in the upity attitude that was bleeding through his sentences, that he was now officially a troll (whether it was intentional or not). Stupidity breeds contempt, so i'm sure this is a story of his life.

From the way he went about trying to "correct" you on something and how you should be going about doing your duties, his arrogant stupidity pissed me off to a level that this comment barely touches the surface.

Last edited:
i grabbed about 15 of them on various toons. really like it on my 20 surv hunter im building with the eng trinket and eng helm

Just passing through here, I thought I had nothing to say... but this guy just went off on you because of his own inability to read, and after your reply to him and give him some context so he can apologize for misunderstanding your comment, he still didn't manage to realize that he somehow read everything wrong. I do mean everything.

So instead of him re-reading everything in proper context, and meditate on how subpar his reading comprehension is, and SOS go back to school and change that (online basic english course or something.. anything will help) he still kept criticizing even more... and it was all tied to something he's completely in the wrong about in the first place. He was entirely too stupid to understand, even after the the context has been explained to him, and became a troll (whether it was intentional or not). Stupidity breeds contempt, so i'm sure this is a story of his life.

From the way he went about trying to "correct" you on something and how you should be going about doing your duties, his arrogant stupidity pissed me off to a level that this comment barely touches the surface.

Welcome brand new guy.

Underneath all the socially rough edges, I'm as soft as a basket full of fluffy bunnies, but when I see an injustice happening, I'm kind of (I'm very much of Lol) a jerk. Excuse my barrage of words on the other fellow; his post definitely got the best of me.

And @Chops "you're complaints have been registered"?... is a brilliant response, props to you Sir.

Welcome brand new guy.
Oh hey there! I played mostly 19 twinks back in 2004-2010, maybe you were around back then as well. Nice to meet you.

For pure f2p short answer:
No. Its not worth that 60h grind.

Longer answer:
Yes. If you dont have rush to get it and want to min/max some stats. Keep in mind, you will need gems, enchants etc. Before you grind engineering. Otherwise you have to relevel engi for helm.

Ps. I allways like to have young dragon impulse trinck on, either haste or 30% speed. Also im allmost crying.. i have 1 elemental force so far and 32 sha crystals.. every fu.... green in mop turns epic..

Last edited:
I have two quick questions before I commit to any f2p grinding for the dragonling. I just need 75 cata eng to BUY the cogs, right? After I finish the grind and create my full dragonling with 3 cogs, can I drop engineering?

Users who are viewing this thread