Immo-Melee Hunter

User said:
Just got out of a game playing with your immo hunter, you were doing quite well around enemy GY, was very weak horde team unfortunately. But you were killing equally as fast. Suprised that you can put out so much damage with that build its pretty cool.

I didn't even screencap that game. Only times I died there was when the only twink they had got ganked by the some 3 other ally twinks and spawned with the rest. The rest of them were just jumping down the GY like lemmings. Was at least 3 of them I could one shot with multi-shot periphial attacks.

But the damage output of the build has been astonishing in all but one game (vs 4 hunter premade with a healbot that wasn't from the same server = alot of time in the GY). Killing things alot and dying alot I counted on, but my overall damage being alot high... I expected that lacking the MM bonuses for crits and the extra time spent in the GY would have counteracted any potential gains from keeping Raptor and Mongoose on my toolbar in the damage department.

Finished up my raids early this week and got to revisit my 19 hunter twink.

Immo-Melee3.jpg

At least 2 of their twinks dropped right after we got the last return (One was hunter named Misohorni whom it was I had ambushed trying to ninja our flag the minute before). Granted I'm still lacking STV gear, I think it maybe about time I try making a guide for this play style.

cool, i'll check it out :) since reading this thread ive had a little browse of raptor, mongoose, arcane and immo and it seems theres alot of potential for prolonged burst using every global CD, seems a sweet idea :)

Kore nametooshort said:
cool, i'll check it out :) since reading this thread ive had a little browse of raptor, mongoose, arcane and immo and it seems theres alot of potential for prolonged burst using every global CD, seems a sweet idea :)

On the Defensive or when set up for an ambush, glyphed and talented Immo would do upwards of 60 damage per tick, but was a pain in the ass to use without being shadowmelded waiting for someone... But it would make for a killer spec on dedicated Flag/FC defense duties.

I think this thread is pretty funny. It's like "let's talk about playing a hunter 101 and call it revolutionary!"

What's the deal? Rolling in for a Mongoose/Raptor combo and back out for your shot cooldowns is about as time honored as anything in WoW. Sure your Immo trap fully setup can do 200 damage or something but honestly who cares. It's not very accurate, often it will go off on a pet or something even when you have the best of intentions, and all that damage is taken care of with one crit out of a gun.

I'll be the first to throwdown and melee if I want to hedge my bets against a huntard or w/e but I mean come on, we all know how much more efficient it is to build one to shoot...

I tried the Entrapment build immediately when the talents were changed, because I try everything. The thing is, do hunters need another way to stop and slow ppl? Not really, and it's on a long cooldown and the only way to set it off is to bait ppl onto it. Screw that give me a shit load of RAP and crit with a big gun plzkthnx.

My personal experiences with the build taught me that constantly going for the melee-ranged weave with a spec supporting it results in more kills than hunters specced for shooting.

Also, warriors and rogues on my team notice the lower up time enemy hunters have in the midfield because I'm killing them all.

Conrose said:
My personal experiences with the build taught me that constantly going for the melee-ranged weave with a spec supporting it results in more kills than hunters specced for shooting.

Also, warriors and rogues on my team notice the lower up time enemy hunters have in the midfield because I'm killing them all.

That's cool, but when it comes down to it, you're working far more for a similar outcome. If you couldn't dps harder with a pure ranged build you were either undergeared, badly spec'd or forgot to hit arcane shot...

Edit: Ok you have less than 1k hp and mana. Do w/e you want with that squishy little NE.

Outofspace said:
That's cool, but when it comes down to it, you're working far more for a similar outcome. If you couldn't dps harder with a pure ranged build you were either undergeared, badly spec'd or forgot to hit arcane shot...

Edit: Ok you have less than 1k hp and mana. Do w/e you want with that squishy little NE.

Raptor Strike Glyph gives me all the mitigation I needed while playing aggressively... still gonna try for 2x AGM though.

Have you checked any of the scoreboard screens yet? I think they say something of the specs viability.

Hahaha i thought of a melle hunter about a week ago, i didnt end up making it didnt know whether it'll be good and i still dont know :D.

Conrose said:
Raptor Strike Glyph gives me all the mitigation I needed while playing aggressively... still gonna try for 2x AGM though.

Have you checked any of the scoreboard screens yet? I think they say something of the specs viability.

Scoreboard screens from god knows when of PUG games mean nothing to me. I could just as easily show you some epic score and dps that I had, but you'll never see me do it because I know how useless it would be.

Outofspace said:
Scoreboard screens from god knows when of PUG games mean nothing to me. I could just as easily show you some epic score and dps that I had, but you'll never see me do it because I know how useless it would be.

But it's not to say that I did not perform just as well as any other cookie cutter hunter in a PuG environment.

Anyways, why don't you just give it a try? Like they say, "Don't knock until you've tried it"... who knows, you might even enjoy it.

Ofc I took savage stikes it's a freakin survival build...

You can reach all day long for a way to discount my experience, but I think I'll leave you to it. Only reason I had to point out how delusional it is to make a melee hunter is for all the noobs you seem to be influencing with your excitement about a 200 dot and knocking people over the head with Raptor Strike.

Ppl, he's not the first and certainly not the last who claims to be an uber pwnage melee hunter. I promise you that with half a clue and the same drive you have for meleeing noobs you would easily out dps yourself with a 1/8/1 or 1/9/0 build.

Outofspace said:
Ofc I took savage stikes it's a freakin survival build...

You can reach all day long for a way to discount my experience, but I think I'll leave you to it. Only reason I had to point out how delusional it is to make a melee hunter is for all the noobs you seem to be influencing with your excitement about a 200 dot and knocking people over the head with Raptor Strike.

Ppl, he's not the first and certainly not the last who claims to be an uber pwnage melee hunter. I promise you that with half a clue and the same drive you have for meleeing noobs you would easily out dps yourself with a 1/8/1 or 1/9/0 build.

It seems you missed the parts that I wasn't looking at overall DPS but rather maximizing Burst Damage. During the time this thread was orginally made, I was looking to use the traps to maximize the amount of damage I can dump on a player in 3-4 seconds. At the time of my last few runs I made before 3.2 asked more of my computer than I could manage, I was getting as much as 750+ damage in 3 seconds without using my immolation trap (Which I'm currently not specced/glyphed for).

If I had gotten a trap on a player by say, laying a trap in a doorway an FCer was likely to run through trying to escape my team, or on the flag for a player grabbing my flag while I was waiting on defense, that's an easy 120+ damage in that three to four second window I could achieve if I unleash a combo on the target. Most people won't sneeze at eating 870 damage dumped on them inside a 3-4 second span. This was the thing I was exploring during the course of this thread (Which is actually old by now). In the course of the second thread whic I used to sorta rough draft the guid I posted in the User Submitted Section, I went with a build that was friendlier on the midfield since yes, pets eat most attempts at trapping while farming midfield. Not quite as potent in raw burst as the trap build was, but it still provides sizable burst combos.

But yeah, my own experience has been that my current build is better at bursting down targets than the 1/8/1 or the 1/9/0 build.

Users who are viewing this thread