EU+US I HAVE QUESTIONS!

Chops

Soccer Dad
So two things happened almost simultaneously

I recovered the password for my old account that had my old main on it AND I discovered that I really enjoy playing resto druid

So I decided I’d make a vet druid.

But I have questions. Because I haven’t cared about theorycrafting and stat math since I last raided in BC, I have no idea where stats are at these days. Us F2Ps have like one option for enchants, so it’s just never mattered.

Can someone explain the math around stats these days. For instance, what’s the difference between int and spellpower? Hell, I thought they got rid of spellpower. Do secondary stats still have a soft cap? Can 20s hit it?

Basically, I wanna stack haste. But I’m not entirely convinced that’s better than stacking int or using sp. What’s the math on this stuff?

Also, what are the xmog rules? Again, this hasn’t mattered on f2p. If I couldn’t pick it up, I couldn’t xmog it. But this old account has (and can get) just about anything. I THINK I’m limited to vanilla gear on my vet? Or at least, gear from 0-60 zones and dungeons? Is that accurate?

Lastly, any of you hooligans on horde side Bleeding Hollow got a guild that needs a mediocre resto druid?

Glad you're enjoying the Druid. It seems like a class that rewards the most satisfaction the more you learn it.

So two things happened almost simultaneously

I recovered the password for my old account that had my old main on it AND I discovered that I really enjoy playing resto druid

So I decided I’d make a vet druid.

But I have questions. Because I haven’t cared about theorycrafting and stat math since I last raided in BC, I have no idea where stats are at these days. Us F2Ps have like one option for enchants, so it’s just never mattered.

Can someone explain the math around stats these days. For instance, what’s the difference between int and spellpower? Hell, I thought they got rid of spellpower. Do secondary stats still have a soft cap? Can 20s hit it?

Basically, I wanna stack haste. But I’m not entirely convinced that’s better than stacking int or using sp. What’s the math on this stuff?

Also, what are the xmog rules? Again, this hasn’t mattered on f2p. If I couldn’t pick it up, I couldn’t xmog it. But this old account has (and can get) just about anything. I THINK I’m limited to vanilla gear on my vet? Or at least, gear from 0-60 zones and dungeons? Is that accurate?

Lastly, any of you hooligans on horde side Bleeding Hollow got a guild that needs a mediocre resto druid?

Welcome to the land of vets and the land of healing! Int and spellpower are the same, int just increases it more than sp very slightly. I cant remember the actual numbers but playing around with gear you will see. There are no soft caps so to speak, but its largely about investment vs return. As a healer you will develop a set that best adapts to your needs and playstyle over time.

Dcm and I both play holy paladin, and have very different gear sets that match both of our playstyles. For Dcm, the set is focused more on survivability and tankiness as I find Dcm tends to play more agressive and in your face with positioning than I do. Mine is more glass cannon and squishier but with more healing output as I find that I am a much more defensive healer. Neither set is wrong, but given our own playstyles the other set wouldn't suit either of us as well. This is where preference comes into play.

For int/sp vs haste stacking, Druid has a lot of instant cast abilities making casting time less relevant. I would get full fang set, and go from there for int vs haste. See what casting time feels comfortable for you and see if say 10 more int is more valuable to you than .2 less cast time.

As for xmog, you can only transmog your intended gear (plate for me, leather for you) which means any non core armor type cannot be mogged unfortunately. Transmogging is account wide on non ftp accounts and you can use gear appropriate to your char up to lvl 60 (any vanilla zone). It's kinda fun collecting them all! like pokemon but for more vain reasons.

If you have any specific healing questions feel free to shoot me a message or message in game (tence#1950). I'm always down to help!

can mog any piece of gear <60 at lvl 1

that includes boes, dungeon sets, quest sets, raids, higher lvl bg gear, etc

Welcome to the land of vets and the land of healing! Int and spellpower are the same, int just increases it more than sp very slightly. I cant remember the actual numbers but playing around with gear you will see. There are no soft caps so to speak, but its largely about investment vs return. As a healer you will develop a set that best adapts to your needs and playstyle over time.

Dcm and I both play holy paladin, and have very different gear sets that match both of our playstyles. For Dcm, the set is focused more on survivability and tankiness as I find Dcm tends to play more agressive and in your face with positioning than I do. Mine is more glass cannon and squishier but with more healing output as I find that I am a much more defensive healer. Neither set is wrong, but given our own playstyles the other set wouldn't suit either of us as well. This is where preference comes into play.

For int/sp vs haste stacking, Druid has a lot of instant cast abilities making casting time less relevant. I would get full fang set, and go from there for int vs haste. See what casting time feels comfortable for you and see if say 10 more int is more valuable to you than .2 less cast time.

As for xmog, you can only transmog your intended gear (plate for me, leather for you) which means any non core armor type cannot be mogged unfortunately. Transmogging is account wide on non ftp accounts and you can use gear appropriate to your char up to lvl 60 (any vanilla zone). It's kinda fun collecting them all! like pokemon but for more vain reasons.

If you have any specific healing questions feel free to shoot me a message or message in game (tence#1950). I'm always down to help!

Thank you for this detailed reply.

My interest in haste stems from it, at least back in my raiding days, speeding up how quickly HOTs and DOTs ticked, with a final (extra) tick based on the hps of the heal.

Is this no longer the case?

1 int = 1 spellpower
1 int is slightly more useful for things that scale your primary stats or in cat/bear IIRC

Int is the primary thing to stack. For secondaries, verse is probably the best stat for pvp, but haste/crit aren't bad either (especially for pve). I'd say verse > haste > crit for pvp, and haste => verse => crit for PVE. There aren't any breakpoints anymore, or soft caps that I know of (other than >100% crit, which is impossible anyways).

For gear, a mix of engineering, full fang set, kromgar stuff, and heirlooms is going to be BiS IIRC. I geared up my vet druid in legion and haven't quite updated for BfA yet, so not 100%. I imagine its similar to 19s though. For enchants, theres a few additional complexities at 20, as in instance pvp, some will scale up when you are level "29". Gear will also depend on if you want to focus on healing or FCing. Its a good idea to have some of each set no matter what.

Thank you for this detailed reply.

My interest in haste stems from it, at least back in my raiding days, speeding up how quickly HOTs and DOTs ticked, with a final (extra) tick based on the hps of the heal.

Is this no longer the case?

This is the case but because of how much more impactful int is generally, going more for haste than int wont speed it up THAT much more. Its better to focus mainly on int and then go for certain other pieces that give a good mix of int and haste. If you get 1 or 2 more ticks off but its only for 40, in the long run a tick for 70 is going to be close to the same, on top of all the extra healing you do from swiftmend and regrowth. I like haste on an hpally because your primary healing is from flash of light which is casted but I still focus mostly on int.

#Vet life!
It’ll find ya! ;)

Ok, I’m not a Druid expert so I’ll leave that to the guys above who’ve done a great job. Just a few other points worth considering :-
  1. Farming higher level enchant illusions - Vet swag factor
  2. Pick up as many looms as u can - or if u only going to use a Druid, at least get all the relevant ones
  3. And lastly..... consider which faction u want to serve...... do u want to be behind Iceháwk, or in front of him :eek:
Good luck, you’ll be busy as there’s lots to do!

can mog any piece of gear <60 at lvl 1

that includes boes, dungeon sets, quest sets, raids, higher lvl bg gear, etc
Alright, help a dude out here.

There's a set I want but getting it requires some pretty serious financial investment/profession grind. So I found a vendor that sells gear that has the same look. Bought the gear with my old main, it unlocked the xmog but when I logged on the twink, it tells me I gotta be 58 to use it.

I stress, this is the exact same model. The collections tab even recognizes it as such. Is this working as intended?

There's a set I want but getting it requires some pretty serious financial investment/profession grind. So I found a vendor that sells gear that has the same look. Bought the gear with my old main, it unlocked the xmog but when I logged on the twink, it tells me I gotta be 58 to use it.

I stress, this is the exact same model. The collections tab even recognizes it as such. Is this working as intended?
There are certain items that u will need to actually make / loot / quest / buy off AH for the mog. There are quite a few mogs that are similar, only one has a level requirement.
I’ve had that happen a number of times.
Sadly u may need to do the grind. Very few short cuts in the #Vet life! ;)

There are certain items that u will need to actually make / loot / quest / buy off AH for the mog. There are quite a few mogs that are similar, only one has a level requirement.
I’ve had that happen a number of times.
Sadly u may need to do the grind. Very few short cuts in the #Vet life! ;)
This sucks.

Though, notably, I remember when I first logged on, my mallet of zul'farrak wasnt available for xmog (the model was listed as a higher level item) but then after a day-ish of playing, it became available. So i'll hang out for a bit before I buy anything off the AH (because holy hell, Bleeding Hollow has worse inflation than Venezuela)

there is a good chance theres two items with the same model, one being above lvl 60 and one below. level 58s can use anything upto and including wrath of the lich king tmogs

one example that comes to my mind immediately to help paint a picture is the skullflame shield. there is a burning crusade dungeon boss that drops the exact same shield for free, but if you want to use it on a character lower than lvl 60 you need to pay the huge amount of gold for the rare skullflame shield boe. you cannot use the free one because its higher than lvl 60 but you can use the <60 boe one, even though they're the exact same model.

to my knowledge this is done with a decent amount of weps and armor so just watch out when buying things. I like to use wowhead to help me

Also make sure you log all your toons in. You may get some random higher level mogs. I have that cool bow u saw which is from BC, and also my Warrior is rocking a Cata axe. I think during the pre-patch they got added, so there may be more sleeper mogs from higher level zones we can pick up.

there is a good chance theres two items with the same model, one being above lvl 60 and one below. level 58s can use anything upto and including wrath of the lich king tmogs

one example that comes to my mind immediately to help paint a picture is the skullflame shield. there is a burning crusade dungeon boss that drops the exact same shield for free, but if you want to use it on a character lower than lvl 60 you need to pay the huge amount of gold for the rare skullflame shield boe. you cannot use the free one because its higher than lvl 60 but you can use the <60 boe one, even though they're the exact same model.

to my knowledge this is done with a decent amount of weps and armor so just watch out when buying things. I like to use wowhead to help me

Ah. Alright. *Sigh*

To the auction house

Users who are viewing this thread