Guide - Which gear can upgrade? (socket/tertiary stats/warforge)

Acoustic

Legend
Hey so there's something really important long-term for 19s-29s (and probably higher lvl twinks too) that I think needs some more light shed on it, and that's knowing exactly which gear can proc an upgrade.. I have run a ton of dungeons since prepatch dropped, both normal dungeon finder groups and carry runs (using just a booster + some with other lowbies + some doing the legacy loot trick per the thread on here) It's been my main focus in the prepatch along with WoD rares. This thread is an open discussion and will be updated often until it's complete, I encourage everyone to share if you have experienced an upgrade happen to an item so we can form an accurate list to tell you for a fact what gear you should be farming. I have started it with a few I have personally encountered or seen linked by friends, seen on here, etc. Happy hunting all!

Note:
"Yes" means I saw proof of it happening from myself or others.
"No" is for things so popular that they have been tested enough by various people to know they don't happen.
"TBD" at this point are basically a No, but could be worth testing.

----

Vanilla/TBC/WotLK/MoP World Drop BoE Greens
Socket:No
Tetriary:No
Socket + Tetriary:No
Warforge/Epic:No

WoD World Drop BoE Greens

Socket:TBD
Tetriary:TBD
Socket + Tetriary:TBD
Warforge/Epic:TBD

Legion/BFA World Drop BoE Greens

Socket:Yes
Tetriary:Yes
Socket + Tetriary:Yes

Shadowlands World Drop BoE Greens

----
Vanilla/TBC/WotLK/MoP Dungeon
Vanilla/TBC/WotLK/MoP Quest
Warforge/Epic:Yes

WoD Dungeon

Warforge/Epic:
Yes
WoD Quest

Legion Dungeon

Legion Quest

BFA Dungeon
BFA Quest

----

Vanilla/TBC Rare

WotLK Rare
Warforge/Epic:Yes*
*BoE Blues - From named mobs only!!!

MoP Rare

*Possibly only certain ones

WoD Rare
Socket:Yes*
Tetriary:Yes*
Socket + Tetriary:TBD- starting to look like a No for this one :(
*Post nerf only certain rares!!! Apexis Assault ones

Legion Rare

BFA Rare

Last edited:
i got both slabs quest items go purple, surprised the heck outta me, i didn't know bc had that. minor stat improvement too, not just an ilvl and no stat diff.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,870
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,930
i didn't know bc had that.

It got it when classic got it, remember seeing some epic BC BoE on the AH back then.

Found the pic:
bCFu8Ju.png

Really bums me out what they've done to the rarity ilvl of items, one of my favorite changes to the game and they wrecked it into 1 ilvl either way. "Woohoo i proceed an epic for literally no difference whatsoever!" Downward goes the spiral.

WoD Dungeon
Tetriary: Yes
Warforge/Epic: Yes (?)

I didn't get the Warforge, but a Group member did

Og3jiDZ.jpg

KIigWK4.jpg

Legion Quest

Warforge/Epic: Yes

Legion relics can warforge/blue/epic, and so can equipment. Theres a Legion Order Hall upgrade that increases the chance

Legion Dungeons can socket AND warforge:
6pWfbxp.jpg

The question is, starting at what level. I don't think I've gotten Warforged or Socketed items from Legion dungs yet, only BFA

Legion Dungeons can socket AND warforge:
6pWfbxp.jpg

The question is, starting at what level. I don't think I've gotten Warforged or Socketed items from Legion dungs yet, only BFA
That's been my experience as well, seems like only higher lvls are getting gear to upgrade in legion dungs. Thanks everyone for all the input so far!

Last edited:
The one-time WoD rares can all go epic/tertiary too, unfortunately epic being +1 ilvl now is an insult so really just good for tertiary. (to be honest I'm not 100% the outside-dungeon drops can go tertiary. Just certain about the slap in the face epic warforge)

if you take your level 20 to a lvl 25 zone (anything after the Pandaria expansion) which is pretty much Drustvar & Nazmir only; you can farm green BoEs [lvl 19/28] which quite often proc a socket. no warforging though. it's the BiS option for slots that TBC dungeons only give 1 socket for.

WoD rares can Warforge, the ilvl 44 items at least. Had a Warforged Unpopped Pustule Pendant drop yesterday, 45 ilvl with same stats as normal.

if you take your level 20 to a lvl 25 zone (anything after the Pandaria expansion) which is pretty much Drustvar & Nazmir only; you can farm green BoEs [lvl 19/28] which quite often proc a socket. no warforging though. it's the BiS option for slots that TBC dungeons only give 1 socket for.
Proof? I just farmed for 3 hours in nazimir 0 greens proceed like that

Users who are viewing this thread