Guide to Farming F2P BoEs from Chests

What's the respawn time?

Is there a certain spot in particular that you're camping?

Wowhead suggests an 8hr or less respawn time but they don't always spawn in the same place and it's impossible to know if someone got there just before you did. Camping is a bad idea since each zone has up to 20+ spawn points. Just make a circuit every now and then and check them all out. As I said, I have had four in a zone at once, and other times I couldn't find any.

Just searched like 4 areas and found none. Seriously, I only got 1 Blue after like 2 hours. Do I camp or what?

both of the chests ive looted have been just inside the cave full of worgen in duskwood....ive never really farmed for them though just happened to be there on a level'ing toon

I consider finding one a success. It's not liking picking herbs. It's similar to hunting silver rares. I imagine the spawn timer to be similar. Also, in many cases, rares and chests spawn in the same place.

Well I went looking through duskwood to find some. I didn't, and i don't even have a bunch of other f2p competition. Since I was already close, I then went to check out that leather farming spot in elwynn and /love a cow. After that, i headed over to stendel's pond for a shot at that fish. I got him in 57 casts, my 333 cast total at trying to get one. He had the usual fishing line, and the ring ;)

Anyway, to the point... chest find or not, thanks. it might be useful to post screenshots of locations, the wowhead pins can only give so good of an idea

Afaik, a certain amount of chests will spawn in a zone. Once a chest is looted, it will respawn in under 8 hours possibly in a different location. Best thing you can do is just go around and loot chests then, since looting one will cause another one to spawn.

Now if only locked chests had something of value in them besides random greens and the occasional blue ...

~Zuty

There's over 20 locations in a single zone, it's not really practical to post that many screen shots, and I haven't actually found one in every location pinned on Wowhead. Also, as mentioned, and by me in my first post, dwarves no longer have the ability to find chests. I'm sure we'd all be leveling one to 20 and riding around looking if that were the case. Infact, I would say that Blizz removed the ability because of these new chests, and to make them more difficult to farm.

It's not that slim. I have found four in a zone at one time. There's about 50 items that can drop in 20-25 zones. There is also the Red Beard Crest, which if you took the pants in BFD, is probably the best tank shield you can get. I have also found up to ten in a single day. Of course some days I only find a few of them. Personally, I am chasing Silver-Linked Footguards for my stam set. There are also Fortified Boots of Stamina from the silver rares I find near the chests. Some people might also like to get Sentry Cloak to transmogrify for twinking nostalgia.

I'm not that familiar with what else people might want, but if you want BiS, and you want it on F2P, then this is the only way to do it. Instance runs are also a good source of blue drops too, but unless you're getting run through, they are pretty time consuming, not to mention the competition if doing it in a group.

Got 4 items in an hour in Hillsbrad.

Diamond Hammer and 3 random 21+ items.

Gonna move to a lower level area.

Lower level areas only have whites in the chests. I checked Westfall and Redridge. In the same way that silver rares only drop items several levels below them, so too do the chests drop items several levels below the zone level. Hillsbrad is 20-25. Higher level zones, like Northern Stranglethorn, have a chance to drop them too, but it's much lower because they also have much higher items on their loot table.

iaccidentallytwink said:
Got 4 items in an hour in Hillsbrad.

Diamond Hammer and 3 random 21+ items.

Gonna move to a lower level area.

That probably isn't going to work, as the Chests in Westfall and Loch Modan (the zones 'next in line') don't seem to drop Blues at all.

But you're right about the Chests in 20-25 zones also dropping higher level items, I got from the Wetlands a Double Link Tunic and a Silver-lined Belt for example.

Aradiel said:
It's not that slim. I have found four in a zone at one time. There's about 50 items that can drop in 20-25 zones. There is also the Red Beard Crest, which if you took the pants in BFD, is probably the best tank shield you can get. I have also found up to ten in a single day. Of course some days I only find a few of them. Personally, I am chasing Silver-Linked Footguards for my stam set. There are also Fortified Boots of Stamina from the silver rares I find near the chests. Some people might also like to get Sentry Cloak to transmogrify for twinking nostalgia.

I'm not that familiar with what else people might want, but if you want BiS, and you want it on F2P, then this is the only way to do it. Instance runs are also a good source of blue drops too, but unless you're getting run through, they are pretty time consuming, not to mention the competition if doing it in a group.

Are you on Aerie Peak? Because if so I just found your boots.

Users who are viewing this thread