Global Warming discussion

fuzzles said:
My point: don't fear the future and don't vote against your country's economy. You'll end up like France.

i have no idea how france is doing or what they did wrong : /

Theres alot of hot topics that are debated and such, global warming happens to be one of them. Look at any game that requires you to use diffrent resource styles, generally oil/gas are the easiest cheapest to build...but either end up being to slow, running out, or causing bad problems for you.

my whole point of that is that we need to start doing more to protect all aspects of our planet, its the only 1 possible for us to live on ATM. We got one chance, just like we got one life.

Kinda funny....people eat unhealthy, know they eat unhealthy, still do it..until they get sick then they eat right...at least until they are better.

Our planet is sick....it can't really get better...sure some things are renewable, but some arn't.

Population is one of my biggest issues, we are already in a state where fresh water is running out and we will have to start sanatizing the oceans ( a long and costly process).

but.....................

We will die sooner or later.

when we run out of gas?

when the sun implodes?

when we over populate?

when we get in WWIII and nuke our selves?

when 2010 comes and the myhan calender ends?

Who knows, but I sure as hell want to leave the biggesr human imprent we can.

Kinda funny to think...we may one day be like the dinos, studied by a future more advanced race of beings.

Naturaltalnt said:
Kinda funny to think...we may one day be like the dinos, studied by a future more advanced race of beings.

and who knows, ret paladins might be balanced by then

lol it's 2012 that the word will inexplicably come to an end according to the Mayans.

Huitzilopochtli will kill us all.

But in all honesty, how exactly is this planet sick? It still functions properly in all conceivable aspects and there are no calculable sunset on its resources in view. If actual numbers start saying we'll run out of a resource, not just the rambling of some New York Times columnist, then businesses will start investing in new technology.

And what is it with you and overpopulation lol. We can't be fascist like China and forbid people to have kids. And as much as I would like to be the personal enforcer of neo-eugenics, industry will find a way to save or create space. Who knows, maybe someday we'll be buying Real Estate on the ocean.

EDIT: Fuck, Huitzilopochtli is Aztec. I should have known that.

How is it not? go look at graphs or charts of where forests use to be and where they are now, sure we grow some of what we cut down...but most of what we grow are trees that develope quickly..all the hard woods take to long and are going out of exsistance slowly.

Over population is real, why can't we tell people they can/can't have kids? give me 1 good reason. IMO a IQ test, Fitness test, and personal income stub should have to be given before a ticket is issued allowing people to have children...but thats just me.

To be honest, I believe that this planet has a threshold. As long as we don't cross it, it will be able to recover. But who knows exactly where that threshold is, and if we've crossed it already?

fuzzles said:
lol it's 2012 that the word will inexplicably come to an end according to the Mayans.

Huitzilopochtli will kill us all.

But in all honesty, how exactly is this planet sick? It still functions properly in all conceivable aspects and there's calculable sunset on its resources in view. If actual numbers start saying we'll run out of a resource, not just the rambling of some New York Times columnist, then businesses will start investing in new technology.

And what is it with you and overpopulation lol. We can't be fascist like China and forbid people to have kids. And as much as I would like to be the personal enforcer of neo-eugenics, industry will find a way to save or create space. Who knows, maybe someday we'll be buying Real Estate on the ocean.

EDIT: Fuck, Huitzilopochtli is Aztec. I should have known that.

we are already experiencing overpopulation.

just look at some of the countries in poverty. people living in literally 3 pieces of wood stacked on each other, with several people in there. there is hardly any food, too.

soon enough, our population (which is increasing atm) will out-weigh our ability to produce food in more countries.

also, the planet might not be very sick yet, but i mean people are the same way...they get small blood clots, and that grows and grows until...heart attack.

Naturaltalnt said:
Over population is real, why can't we tell people they can/can't have kids? give me 1 good reason. IMO a IQ test, Fitness test, and personal income stub should have to be given before a ticket is issued allowing people to have children...but thats just me.

LIBERTY

Liberty is a bit more important than taking one out of many debated solutions to a problem that is nothing more than a strong inconvenience.

And BTW the analogy to human anatomy makes sense but you need to back it up with data for it to be anything other than a pondering. As it stands, mankind will get along just fine if we run out of hardwood. And who knows - if normal harvesting methods become inviable maybe the market will produce new methods of supplying grown resources, perhaps involving genetic engineering.

The point is, unless you can find some reason to assume we could make the Earth uninhabitable, none of these green points matter. If a resource becomes scarce, the market will either deal with higher prices, find an alternative, or figure a new way to get ahold of it. Free market economics have been proving the resilience of a capitalist society for hundreds of years now and all of the sudden everyone has forgotten just how resourceful the human race is.

EDIT: I fixed my above post (had a lil typo in the line "there's calculable sunset on its resources in view").

fuzzles said:
as much as I would like to be the personal enforcer of neo-eugenics
I don't think anybody got this (typing it gave me a good laugh). Here's the wikipedia page on Eugenics. Basically, it was a philosophy of removing "unwanted humans" from the gene pool lol. I'd slap on some wizard oil and go aoe farming >: D

@Phantom: I love your guild name.

You say I can't prove the earth will become unlivable, but all your saying is we are going to have several dozen scientific breakthroughs. We could have quite a few yes, but they won't happen without the funding, the scientisit working on the problems, and etc.

I haven't looked this up in a few year but...We use to kill one type of species every hundred years back several thousand years. In our time frame we kill acouple hundred per week, most are insects/plants some of which we haven't discovered...what if they were suppose to be the key to one of those break throughs?

Sure we might get away with growing only 1-3 types of tree, but its pretty pathetic if we can only keep those 3 alive out of hundreds of types.

Druiddroid already covered the over population ~ human body for me, but lets add to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't your teachers ever tell you the truth about the world? my sure as hell did, hundreds of people crambed in a tiny crawl space ment for 30, barely able to move, not allowed to go up on the deck/move around.....all to get to America.

and this brings up an entirely new problem, you do realize we have quite a few countrys still today without power, they have no idea wtf a computer/television is... they are lucky if they know how to grow crops and survive diseases without proper mediciation.

And you want to know something ironic? Many developing countries aren't allowed to use their own fossil fuels to provide electricity for themselves because of the UN and its green rules. The best way to combat poverty is to enable the people to bring themselves up, and ironically green laws do the opposite to developing countries.

Actual pollution is one thing; CO2 citing global warming is bullshit on a global scale.

And corporate scientists come up with breakthroughs all the time without any government funding. Do you hear about it on the news? No. Why? Because nobody can use it to win an election.

fuzzles said:
And you want to know something ironic? Many developing countries aren't allowed to use their own fossil fuels to provide electricity for themselves because of the UN and its green rules. The best way to combat poverty is to enable the people to bring themselves up, and ironically green laws do the opposite to developing countries.
as if they would suddenly become prosperous. have you seen the streets of India? very overpopulated and crowded. people live in garbage, literally. in order to set up electricity there would need to be a system, and you'd need power for all of these 'homes', which would all need to be rebuilt to actually be able to utilize electricity, and then you'd need it all to be safe, and this is for millions of people crammed into areas that are locked in areas of a square mile. not only that, their population isn't going down.

do you realize the extent of poverty in the world? i feel VERY VERY VERY LUCKY to live in america. i have a house, a car, electricity, etc. due to overpopulation though, these things will become more and more difficult to get, and it may come down to living with 10 other people under a couple light bulbs.

Actual pollution is one thing; CO2 citing global warming is bullshit on a global scale.
how do you know?

again, i don't want to wait until we go "oh dear, we fucked up". it's not like we have a 2nd chance. why do you want to take such risks?

earth is real. and there's only one earth. we fuck it up, we die. simple as that. our bodies are built for exact conditions. we NEED a balance of oxygen, nitrogen, and temperture.

i'll admit, we can withstand certain degrees of temperture, but if it gets too high or low we're boned. it just may happen that the temperature will build up to the point where it cannot be stopped from increasing.

And corporate scientists come up with breakthroughs all the time without any government funding. Do you hear about it on the news? No. Why? Because nobody can use it to win an election.

science isn't bendable. you can't make something impossible happen.

i won't say a reliable, numerous source alternative energy is impossible to discover. but it isn't necessarily possible either.

Druiddroid said:
as if they would suddenly become prosperous. have you seen the streets of India? very overpopulated and crowded. people live in garbage, literally. in order to set up electricity there would need to be a system, and you'd need power for all of these 'homes', which would all need to be rebuilt to actually be able to utilize electricity, and then you'd need it all to be safe, and this is for millions of people crammed into areas that are locked in areas of a square mile. not only that, their population isn't going down.
Well that sucks, but besides physically aiding them, serving as a good example would be the most important thing in motivating countries to become independent on their own.

Druiddroid said:
do you realize the extent of poverty in the world? i feel VERY VERY VERY LUCKY to live in america. i have a house, a car, electricity, etc. due to overpopulation though, these things will become more and more difficult to get, and it may come down to living with 10 other people under a couple light bulbs.
I strongly doubt it will ever come to that. It won't happen today, but if overpopulation becomes a real and threatening issue, no one will shut up about it and people will reduce reproduction as a social movement all on their own.

Druiddroid said:
how do you know?

again, i don't want to wait until we go "oh dear, we fucked up". it's not like we have a 2nd chance. why do you want to take such risks?

earth is real. and there's only one earth. we fuck it up, we die. simple as that. our bodies are built for exact conditions. we NEED a balance of oxygen, nitrogen, and temperture.

i'll admit, we can withstand certain degrees of temperture, but if it gets too high or low we're boned. it just may happen that the temperature will build up to the point where it cannot be stopped from increasing.

You can go outside and spit and have the same effect as doubling carbon dioxide.

That's a quote from the following article.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=57605

You can google this stuff and find thousands of credible articles as well as websites and blogs covering this topic.

If you're looking for a good video or two with interviews with credible scientists and lots of good, proven information, here are a couple good examples:

Apocalypse? No

The Great Global Warming Swindle

I've already explained most of what I know but you researching the topic for yourself would have a greater educational effect than any wall of text I can type.

Druiddroid said:
science isn't bendable. you can't make something impossible happen.

i won't say a reliable, numerous source alternative energy is impossible to discover. but it isn't necessarily possible either.
Incredible things have been done by scientists hired by a company. Look at computers, cell phones, airplanes, and even everyday appliances. You think it's amazing you live in America, look at all of man's achievements. Products made by companies. These are unglorified because they were made to gain profit, and in today's world working for a profit is considered "evil."

I have no doubt, if an energy crisis became real and threatening, that in short time the private sector would come up with solutions. Maybe they'd just build a bunch of geothermal energy plants, who knows. Energy after fossil fuels probably won't be as cheap but the newer methods will develop.

Well that sucks, but besides physically aiding them, serving as a good example would be the most important thing in motivating countries to become independent on their own.

well, from what i've heard they can't produce stuff because they don't have the technology to get the oil/coal that doesn't have as many bad gases that are emitted. some countries that do gather oil or coal can emit like 10 times (pulled that # out of my ass) the amount of toxic gases into the air than what we emit, because they just go and get it where it is rather than picking which ones are best.

I strongly doubt it will ever come to that. It won't happen today, but if overpopulation becomes a real and threatening issue, no one will shut up about it and people will reduce reproduction as a social movement all on their own.
good luck with that. India still hasn't started that social movement, nor have other areas with overpopulation.

You can go outside and spit and have the same effect as doubling carbon dioxide.

That's a quote from the following article.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=57605

You can google this stuff and find thousands of credible articles as well as websites and blogs covering this topic.

If you're looking for a good video or two with interviews with credible scientists and lots of good, proven information, here are a couple good examples:

Apocalypse? No

The Great Global Warming Swindle

I've already explained most of what I know but you researching the topic for yourself would have a greater educational effect than any wall of text I can type.

atm i'm not at a place where i can watch the videos, i'll look into it though. after all arguement is for learning not stubborness (even if it usually flows towards stubborness :p)

i still feel that we are moving into uncharted territoy, and that it is still a risk to emit uncommon gases into our atmosphere.

Incredible things have been done by scientists hired by a company. Look at computers, cell phones, airplanes, and even everyday appliances. You think it's amazing you live in America, look at all of man's achievements. Products made by companies. These are unglorified because they were made to gain profit, and in today's world working for a profit is considered "evil."

I have no doubt, if an energy crisis became real and threatening, that in short time the private sector would come up with solutions. Maybe they'd just build a bunch of geothermal energy plants, who knows. Energy after fossil fuels probably won't be as cheap but the newer methods will develop.

we can create incredible things, yes.

we can't bend science though.

we can't teleport, time travel, create matter from nothing, etc. just look at cartoons :p. we can't do many things. some things are simply impossible to do.

lol not to get too far-fetched but all the technology in Star Trek was based on actual scientific theory. Teleportation, Warp Drive, and even their swing-around-the-sun time travel are all based on pre-existing science (and then touched up for television :)).

i watched those two videos (10 minute versions), they were pretty convincing i must say. perhaps 'global warming' is just a money maker. next time put those in your first post though >.<

maybe it's just the propaganda but it still seems bad to emit co2 into the air because it will disrupt our atmosphere's balance.

i still believe that overpopulation and our energy crisis are issues that should be taken seriously.. overpopulation will cause more poverty and when we begin running out of places to find fossil fuels then the poverty will increase even more.

Meh the problem with trying to stop overpopulation is that muslims ignore you. They have as many kids as Mormons, don't like any version of birth control and abortion, and tend to like oppressive theocracies. Now several European countries are slowly becoming more and more Muslim as having babies becomes less popular with the natives.

Not to be racist or anything, it's the culture and the type of governments they've always made that bothers me.

Fuzzles, you seem to have a very uncaring attitude and have this thing that...some how some way we will do these great things.

Sure mankind as a whole is resillent, even the smallest fucking glimmer of hope and we can overcome some crazy shit, but we can only push things so far, we are limited.

Most any thing great was done by a mass amount of people and sparked a few great people. Thinking some science dude working for a tiny lab in some company will solve a great problem is a pretty poor reiliance on the subject.

How long have we been trying to find a cure to the common cold, devlope hover boards/time travel, the ramifications are far dangerous, the amount of variables is astounding.

Sure Americans lead by example....to bad 50% of the world hates our guts, 25% don't give a rats ass about us as long as we leave them alone, and the last 25% like us well enough, but most just either want our tradables, or fear us.

Sure you always hear U.S.A, Russia, Japan are all in a race for the newest tech, okay...what about the rest of the world? theres dozens upon dozens of third world countrys.

Our planet has limitations, we have limitations, animals/plants/insects are limited and reduced due to several factors, most factors killing us have been reduced so they can't keep us in control, if think about it, most of our race are parasits, just constally taking and never giving back.

IMO people in alot of places just need to be slapped around a bit, most fall under pressure when challanged, espcially againest somebody that knows wtf they are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread