Gearing - where to start?

Zombie Mochi

Veteran
I'm trying to put together a list of gear to target for a toon I want to make, and am not sure of the best place to start. My initial plan was to look at armory links, compile a list of the different items I see for each gear slot, and then maybe do a Wowhead query to see other potential items. However, between quest rewards, dungeon drops, BoEs (greens and blues), BoAs, and BG crates, I feel like I am going to miss/overlook items, especially with how the new scaling works and tooltips not always being accurate. Any advice on what processes people go through would be much appreciated.

Your plan is solid so far, though wowhead is less useful for queries sometimes with the new scaling. Armories and asking around is the best thing currently. Here are a few things to look at that might be helpful depending on what you're looking to make.

• BG crate blues are almost always really good if you get the right stat suffix(es)
  • Leather/Mail int users will want to look at the WC set for the set bonuses. Holy pallies can also look at this, but it won't drop for them, so a 19 mail user should go with and trade them the drops.
  • BoE Legs can get str/agi/stam enchants from MoP - no int options, so probably go with BoA
  • Heirloom shoulders/legs can get high level enchants
  • AB belt/boots are often high in verse and the boots have a built in speed enchant. No plate options tho
  • Minor Speed is the only boot enchant that stacks with cat/travel/ghost wolf/cloak enchant/etc). AB boots and "hybrid" enchants like boars speed do NOT stack. It'll depend on your class/playstyle if you care about getting the most movement speed.
  • BoE gloves let you get glove reinforcements, which can be useful for most classes. Many will want other gloves with primary stat enchants, but it can't hurt to have multiple pairs.
  • Neck/Rings have some options with primary stats and some options without it. Gotta know how much you value primary stats vs secondary stats for those.
  • Heirloom neck has primary stats and the on-use hp pot, which is always solid
  • BG crate and dungeon satchel rings have primary stats. BoA shipyard rings as well, but those only have crit IIRC

Hopefully that helps narrow things down a bit.

Thank you very much for the input! I'll make sure to add forum searches for past posts to my plan to help find tidbits of gearing info.

Your plan is solid so far, though wowhead is less useful for queries sometimes with the new scaling. Armories and asking around is the best thing currently. Here are a few things to look at that might be helpful depending on what you're looking to make.

• BG crate blues are almost always really good if you get the right stat suffix(es)
  • Leather/Mail int users will want to look at the WC set for the set bonuses. Holy pallies can also look at this, but it won't drop for them, so a 19 mail user should go with and trade them the drops.
  • BoE Legs can get str/agi/stam enchants from MoP - no int options, so probably go with BoA
  • Heirloom shoulders/legs can get high level enchants
  • AB belt/boots are often high in verse and the boots have a built in speed enchant. No plate options tho
  • Minor Speed is the only boot enchant that stacks with cat/travel/ghost wolf/cloak enchant/etc). AB boots and "hybrid" enchants like boars speed do NOT stack. It'll depend on your class/playstyle if you care about getting the most movement speed.
  • BoE gloves let you get glove reinforcements, which can be useful for most classes. Many will want other gloves with primary stat enchants, but it can't hurt to have multiple pairs.
  • Neck/Rings have some options with primary stats and some options without it. Gotta know how much you value primary stats vs secondary stats for those.
  • Heirloom neck has primary stats and the on-use hp pot, which is always solid
  • BG crate and dungeon satchel rings have primary stats. BoA shipyard rings as well, but those only have crit IIRC

Hopefully that helps narrow things down a bit.

Dungeon satchel neck also has primary stats though I've only seen it with int.

Does anyone know if the dungeon satchel rings scale depending on what level you open them, ie I should wait to open them like BG crates, or is it based on the level at which I acquired the satchel?

Does anyone know if the dungeon satchel rings scale depending on what level you open them, ie I should wait to open them like BG crates, or is it based on the level at which I acquired the satchel?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was based on what level you acquired it. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle to save them anyways just to test it out

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was based on what level you acquired it. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle to save them anyways just to test it out

Nah, its your level when you open them. Save dungeon satchels for 29. BG crates last for 3 days, so you may need to open them early, but any that you can save are great.

Users who are viewing this thread