Fryth's manual for the correct understanding and manipulation of the tacus maximus

Re: Fryth's manual for the correct understanding and manipulation of the tacus maximu

What do I do when they give me two tortillas, but the second one is just on the bottom of the taco with nothing in it?

Am I supposed to empty half of the taco into the second tortilla and have two tacos?

Is it there as some kind of garnish or decoration, and I'm supposed to leave it alone?

Do I gather it up and eat it along with the rest of the taco like some kind of double-taco?

Plz help.

As a true Texian I can answer this one for you.
1. Nixtamalization... This this the dissolving of the harder part of the maize kernel with water and an alkaline compound, like lime. This makes corn flour which in turn creates corn dough. Nixtamalization makes the kernels more malleable but takes away some of their structure. When exposed to water or humidity they become soggy and break under their own weight. Handmade tortillas have more structure than their technological counterparts. However, you would be hard pressed to find a taqueria with hand made tortillas. The extra is for the publicant to enjoy his taco without the filling falling into his hands.

2. Replacement taco to enjoy the filling that has fallen out of the other taco without having to eat it with your hands.

Re: Fryth's manual for the correct understanding and manipulation of the tacus maximu

What's in the blue one tho. It looks the best.

What do I do when they give me two tortillas, but the second one is just on the bottom of the taco with nothing in it?

Am I supposed to empty half of the taco into the second tortilla and have two tacos?

Is it there as some kind of garnish or decoration, and I'm supposed to leave it alone?

Do I gather it up and eat it along with the rest of the taco like some kind of double-taco?

Plz help.

As a true Texian I can answer this one for you.
1. Nixtamalization... This this the dissolving of the harder part of the maize kernel with water and an alkaline compound, like lime. This makes corn flour which in turn creates corn dough. Nixtamalization makes the kernels more malleable but takes away some of their structure. When exposed to water or humidity they become soggy and break under their own weight. Handmade tortillas have more structure than their technological counterparts. However, you would be hard pressed to find a taqueria with hand made tortillas. The extra is for the publicant to enjoy his taco without the filling falling into his hands.

2. Replacement taco to enjoy the filling that has fallen out of the other taco without having to eat it with your hands.

Exactly this ^^

When you're served a taco, they suppose that you're gonna use a lot of sauce. Even if the meat is "dry", your taco is holding the liquids of the lime (a must!), sauce, oil... so the tortilla can break easily, and the other one is for support.
In most places they fill your taco with a lot of stuff, so you end up making two out of one aswell x)

Hand made tortillas are also thicker and the thicker it gets, the more difficult it is to bend it or roll it... and they fill you up easier. Hand made tortillas are also slower to make, because you have to do this --> (funny pic, lol), with the corn dough, and them being thicker causes them to take more time cooking. Tortillas made with a machine are faster and they don't require someone being there 100% of the time. (they are like this ).

But taco stalls don't make their own tortillas, they buy them from a.. tortilla stall (?) called "tortillería", where they only make tortillas. So in "regular taco" places, they sell tacos made with small machine-tortillas.

What's in the blue one tho. It looks the best.

The real real blue tortillas are made with blue corn like this, and they follow the same process as the "normal" ones, but blue corn isn't as common in all states of Mexico. They're supposed to have less starch and less gluten and better properties, but idk x)

But if you go to the city or a supermarket, for example, in most places their "blue tortillas" are fake blue tortillas. They're regular tortillas that have been "dyed" with food coloring; but they sell them as real blue tortillas and those are more expensive.

OMG

OMG

Best thread on TI how did I not see this before.
Amazing! I love everything I've tried from Mexican kitchen so much! Luckily I've never seen a Taco Bell, don't know if they exist in Germany. Comparing with the guide I am relieved, think I may have never actually gotten a taco wrong. I made some twice so far, but properly with corn and reading this it seems I didn't go too wrong. :D

Reactions: Fry

OMG

OMG

Best thread on TI how did I not see this before.
Amazing! I love everything I've tried from Mexican kitchen so much! Luckily I've never seen a Taco Bell, don't know if they exist in Germany. Comparing with the guide I am relieved, think I may have never actually gotten a taco wrong. I made some twice so far, but properly with corn and reading this it seems I didn't go too wrong. :D

lol ty ty
Luckily, I haven't seen one Taco Bell either, but I have heard of it way too much x)
it's funny to think that at least one of our tradicional foods is known world-wide x)

THIS. this is a REAL guide right here, the only useful guide on Xpoff.com known to man this man here deserves guide author.

daamn this was really good, but u missed one thing: the swedish tacos aka the national swe food, no more meatballs here

Users who are viewing this thread