Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced

When that original FFVII music came on, I LITERALLY got chills. This is going to be so epic! I hope that that the PC version is not too far behind the PS4 version otherwise I have to go out and buy a damn PS4...

lit

Nothing says "They're taking their sweet damn time!" like having to necro a 4-year-old thread just to post an update... :rolleyes:

"More details" to be announced next month, whatever that means.

(...why must they torment me so?)

...and just to save me the hassle of extra typing, I found a guy that almost perfectly mirrors all my feelings about it:

"More details" to be announced next month, whatever that means.

(...why must they torment me so?)
As promised... exactly one month later, and we have have a full-blown Square Enix event streamed live from the Electronic Entertainment Expo™!!!

...and for the impatient, the new trailer!

...and for the really impatient, the release date!

release.png

Best Final Fantasy hands down. Graphics for its time, character's, story line and the open world quest/hunting for materia went on for days!

Graphics for its time
2182492-150px_cloud_strife_field_model.jpg
...yeah, and this is two-decades-worth of "progress":

Minecraft.png

I realize that you were simply going for the "easy joke"... but it still pains me how many "kids today" simply can't appreciate what a goddamn revolution those low-poly characters were "at the time". :(

Story-time, kids!

Imagine 25-years-ago being a 1st-gen console-gamer. You just finished the best RPG that you've ever played: "Final Fantasy 6"... it had a vast world, interesting characters, clever game-machanics, and a truly epic storyline!

It also looked like every other RPG from the mid-90's: "square 8-color characters" flickering around "tiled 8-color backgrounds" to the sound of "beeping 8-bit chiptunes". :rolleyes:

FF6.jpg

...but nobody gave that a second thought; because even the best console-RPGs back then were "just games", they certainly weren't supposed to be "art".

Then, later that same month... you pop-in the "demo disc" from the newest PlayStationMagazine (...LOL, "magazines"...) and witness this:

This was still on the PS1! Fully-animated 3D-characters! Environments that look like the actual concept art! Multiple discs of pre-rendered cinematics! An orchestral soundtrack that was so impressive, the game's composer eventually performed the "Final Boss Fight Music" in front of the Emperor of Japan! :cool:

...and when you finally played the game, it wasn't just "style without substance"; every aspect of it was as-good or better than previous RPGs. The most diverse, distraction-filled world to-date (...even going on an actual "date")! Unparalleled character-development! A "linked-materia" mechanic that simultaneously revolutionized both magical-progression and character-customization! Another epic storyline!

(Full disclosure: despite the many "amazing moments" and "incredible character-arcs" in FF7's story line, the "overall narrative" probably wasn't quite as good as a few of its contemporaries...)

Hell, FF7 was so thoroughly-developed that some of the individual locations could themselves be an entire game by today's console standards...

(Spoiler alert: the world of FF7 is far to too vast to be realized in its full-fidelity on the PS4, so "Part 1" of the remake is believed to take place entirely within the first city... with the remainder waiting for the PS5)

No matter what any "hipster" may tell you, Final Fantasy 7 is not "overrated"... it literally redefined what was possible in a console-RPG; each one that came before it would forever be considered a "Retro RPG", and even those that came after it had to somewhat-imitate it if they hoped to be considered a "Next-Gen RPG".

...and if it turns out that I never get to play this "remake", I will still be absolutely thrilled that a "new generation" might possibly begin to understand what those low-poly characters meant to us "at the time". ;)

Adding to the consensus that this remake may, in fact, live-up to the legacy of its legendary progenitor... we have the various awards announced in the aftermath of the Electronics Entertainment Expo™.

Wanna' guess what product won the award as the overall "best" of the entire show? ;)

FFVII-Best.png

...and just in case you thought that I couldn't possibly link this remake to WoW somehow (you were totally thinking that, right?), here's some "insight" from one of WoW's directors:

FFVII-WoW.png

Users who are viewing this thread