do you think Blizzard will expand F2P?

prior to SL if you went inactive on a Vet account, you could still turn on XP after the account was unsubbed. now you have to do the GM ticket lottery to get it turned on if you forgot.
Vets have not been able to turn xp on ever, that is not an SL thing.

FFXIV has a community of players trial capped at 50, playing only free part of game and min/max it. sorta like we have WOW players min/maxing at 50 with BFA capped accounts, but pay to do so.

the BFA players are in a limited time mode though till the next expac rolls when the WOW base game becomes SL capped

right now there is alot of speculation on if blizzard will do continued 50 squishes of only level 60 players back to 50 prior to each expac release? like SL and every expac after will be 50-60 content?

imagine the power creep of 50s with left over systems left intact like HOA and gear was, SL covenant abilities.

honestly, i thought about this for a day or so and this could lead to two different scenarios:

1) they leave things as they are due to the "elder strolls" idea didn't work out so they make the other expansions as normal. like how it could be classic to bfa as first 50 levels, then sl for 50 to 60, expansion 1 (60 to n1), and expansion 2 (n1 to n2).

^most likely scenario, but they'll probably nerf the levels again in the future update. we could do more once that happens, but that'll be awhile compared to the other scenario.

2) they allow the trial cap to 50 when next expansion comes out, but they'll need to change some restrictions again. with some of them possibly being:
  • gold cap probably either 10,000 or higher
  • revert/change those stupid heirlooms due to how long it freaking takes to level a character outside of having every single one of them (it literally takes me just to level 1-2 maybe 3 of them to 50 per a month on a tier 1 or level 35 heirlooms)
  • either allow us to form groups or add back the previous lfr system for raids (kind of like a hand-me-down type of system)
  • changing/getting rid some of those changes they've restricted for level 20s in sl since launch (referring to the command tables and other similar things)
  • add back the time walking to 50s (since i rarely see anyone buying from them anymore every time i walk near those vendors)
  • unpopular opinion, restrict how many time a person that can do dungeons per day since there's barely anyone outside of the main hub zones... other than the ones with low drop chance mounts tbh
other than those changes, i think that's it with pve wise problems.

... for pvp on the other hand, honestly make "ranged warrior" and "ranged rouge" a thing already (i don't know what's the cloth version for ranged would be tbh). no offence, but some of us are just sick of literally seeing "ONLY" hunters getting buffed per patch. we really need some variety when it comes to ranged.

^probably least likely scenario but, doesn't hurt to speculate these things sometimes.

1) they leave things as they are due to the "elder strolls" idea didn't work out so they make the other expansions as normal. like how it could be classic to bfa as first 50 levels, then sl for 50 to 60, expansion 1 (60 to n1), and expansion 2 (n1 to n2).
Knowing how Blizzard functions, Im sure they wont change anything and just continue whatever the fuck theyre doing now. But the main question is, will the game die sooner than we think? Or will some absurd miracle will happen and make the game fresh again?
Honestly seeing how things are going on now outside of the twinking scene, Blizzard needs to pull their shit together.
Although I would be more than happy to experience classic BFA again and spam Skhowl till I get his wretched headress like old times.

Knowing how Blizzard functions, Im sure they wont change anything and just continue whatever the fuck theyre doing now. But the main question is, will the game die sooner than we think? Or will some absurd miracle will happen and make the game fresh again?
They need to do something if they want their top 1%-10% to stay around. it’s like the one bellular video clip talks about asmond heading into ff14.

Here’s the original video for those that hate react Vods like the above example.

Last edited:
*rabbit ears

cat ears are more triangle and are inbetween rabbit/human ears.

cat vs rabbit.jpg

Wishlist: That F2P could group & trade. I don't need the AH, though it'd be nice to be able to buy from it..
I'd also like to see some of the zones, quests & dungeons that are level-locked to us; open up for progression & play.
Nazmir/Vol'dune, maybe even Suramar. Definitely Spires of Arak & WoD Nagrand. The Cata zones & dungeons would be fantastic. Storm Peaks & Icecrown. Netherstorm & Isle of Quel'danas ( though, as it's a 'bonus zone' for endgame grinds, I could see where that was restricted. ) While I expect to see SL added to to the Chromie-time menu come 10.0, I'm sure I'll spend as much time there as I do now... which is none. I'd also, as I'm sure we all would; like to see higher level gems/enchants/etc. become useable for us; but we're already so overpowered, I understand where that would begin to spiral out of control.
I'm not sure where I stand on the OP G'fathered gear... I mean, it's woefully unfair, & yet... "grats" to the players who boast such remarkable items. Sure sucks to go against them in PvP, but... isn't that the joy of twinking, or gearing in an MMO over all?
In all fairness, were those treasured bits of gear nerfed, i'd be equally releaved, & bummed for those players who lost them.

Beyond all that... I feel like we've seen that last modification to the F2P experience for any for-seeable future.
Blizz DESPERATELY needs to attend to the state of the game over-all... otherwise, we'll be the only people IN the game.

honestly, i thought about this for a day or so and this could lead to two different scenarios:

^most likely scenario, but they'll probably nerf the levels again in the future update. we could do more once that happens, but that'll be awhile compared to the other scenario.

2) they allow the trial cap to 50 when next expansion comes out, but they'll need to change some restrictions again. with some of them possibly being:
  • gold cap probably either 10,000 or higher
  • revert/change those stupid heirlooms due to how long it freaking takes to level a character outside of having every single one of them (it literally takes me just to level 1-2 maybe 3 of them to 50 per a month on a tier 1 or level 35 heirlooms)
  • either allow us to form groups or add back the previous lfr system for raids (kind of like a hand-me-down type of system)
  • changing/getting rid some of those changes they've restricted for level 20s in sl since launch (referring to the command tables and other similar things)
  • add back the time walking to 50s (since i rarely see anyone buying from them anymore every time i walk near those vendors)
  • unpopular opinion, restrict how many time a person that can do dungeons per day since there's barely anyone outside of the main hub zones... other than the ones with low drop chance mounts tbh
other than those changes, i think that's it with pve wise problems.

... for pvp on the other hand, honestly make "ranged warrior" and "ranged rouge" a thing already (i don't know what's the cloth version for ranged would be tbh). no offence, but some of us are just sick of literally seeing "ONLY" hunters getting buffed per patch. we really need some variety when it comes to ranged.

^probably least likely scenario but, doesn't hurt to speculate these things sometimes.

blizz buffs for max level and based on PVE. fire mages have been rather OP for 3 years now, they did nerfs for 9.1 then turned around days later, negated and rebuffed them on recent hot fix. at the twink level we don't see the affect of these changes due to the tool kit for a fire mage at 20, maybe at 50? however in BFA we did see the affect of the three +% arcane damage buffs that was given to arc mages in hot fixes and patches to a already powerful class at low level.

as for hunters, they have the tool kit that is affected by changes intended for level 60 PVE. surv hunters especially due the use of a broken lvl 44 weapon (so do other classes) and those with GFd art-weapons are near god mode. they are also powerful right now without crutching on those.

blizzard is lazy, sometimes a certain dev sees the problem of buffs intended for max level and but a limit modifier on a incoming buff/change, they did this for feral druids i think in MOP maybe WOD where it said in text, "for or at level ##+" . in that same era they did a buff that turned 300% of intellect into agility when in cat/bear for res druids (maybe bal?) and this worked all the way down. it was insane. on a 20 res druid, players in a dungeon were asking me how i was out damage all 4 of them combined, in cat in a WC, each mob was a 2 shot

Doubt they would add additional functions or anything but currently I'm playing FF14 trial and im absolutely loving the heavensward raids, the music is an absolute banger too. Im really considering subbing lol

Of course, for pvp i still play wow, ff14 pvp is cursed from what i see.

Hopefully if they ever add anything they would allow wow trials to access at least a low tier raid of the earlier expansions, to rope people in like FF does (FF you get the FULL tier experience of ARR and Heavensward)

That being said FF definitely isnt for everyone, its super pve and story focused (the heavensward story is amazing)

Doubt they would add additional functions or anything but currently I'm playing FF14 trial and im absolutely loving the heavensward raids, the music is an absolute banger too. Im really considering subbing lol

Of course, for pvp i still play wow, ff14 pvp is cursed from what i see.

Hopefully if they ever add anything they would allow wow trials to access at least a low tier raid of the earlier expansions, to rope people in like FF does (FF you get the FULL tier experience of ARR and Heavensward)

That being said FF definitely isnt for everyone, its super pve and story focused (the heavensward story is amazing)

I started playing nearly 2 months ago on the trial then bought the full game about 3 weeks after starting, loved Heavensward too. The Alexander raids are amazing, the music rocks. Locus is a banger. I am now going through the Shadowbringers MSQ on my Bard, almost reaching level 80. I would definitely recommend subbing, it is well worth it =)

Also yes, FFXIV's pvp is cursed. It fucking sucks, don't waste your time with it aside from the Frontline daily roulette for free experience. Endwalker, the next expansion, will feature a small scale PvP mode (probably something like 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 arenas) which will hopefully bring some decent changes to PvP... let's wait and see.

surv hunters especially due the use of a broken lvl 44 weapon (so do other classes) and those with GFd art-weapons are near god mode. they are also powerful right now without crutching on those.
If we’re mainly talking about what I’ve said in the second possibly of ftp/btp going to 50, their weapons kind of are useless with getting bfa/sl gear.

If the first, then we could see a nerf happening in the future with those weapons. Seeing that they can’t ignore them forever.

i know that there will be op class that’ll pop up every now and again. But sadly, that doesn’t change that i see about 5-10 on both sides per pvp match or 1-3 of them in dungeons. Hence why I suggested the possibility of other ranged classes other than hunters.

grats on enjoying ff, but sadly I think the real reason why most of us wouldn’t head to ff14 is due to the lack of competitive nature.

if I’ve done my homework right by looking into these vods of other people post online. they’re mainly against getting powerful gear, speed running dialog, and mostly being competitive in general. Ironically what some people are on here do for fun.

I might try it out in a bit later seeing how it’s kind of slowing down in dungeon farming and I mainly play as a tank class…

If we’re mainly talking about what I’ve said in the second possibly of ftp/btp going to 50, their weapons kind of are useless with getting bfa/sl gear.

If the first, then we could see a nerf happening in the future with those weapons. Seeing that they can’t ignore them forever.

i know that there will be op class that’ll pop up every now and again. But sadly, that doesn’t change that i see about 5-10 on both sides per pvp match or 1-3 of them in dungeons. Hence why I suggested the possibility of other ranged classes other than hunters.

grats on enjoying ff, but sadly I think the real reason why most of us wouldn’t head to ff14 is due to the lack of competitive nature.

if I’ve done my homework right by looking into these vods of other people post online. they’re mainly against getting powerful gear, speed running dialog, and mostly being competitive in general. Ironically what some people are on here do for fun.

I might try it out in a bit later seeing how it’s kind of slowing down in dungeon farming and I mainly play as a tank class…
Not too sure what the against getting powerful gear means, but yeah FF cannot be played the same way as wow where we skip the quest text and cutscenes and speedrun to endgame. The general story endgame content is pretty easy, on par with LFR wow, but people looking for a pve challenge can certainly find them.

Every now and again the people making the comparison and contrast vods between wow vs ff makes a statement about gear isn’t really the main focus for endgame.

That’s sort of why I’ve said, “getting powerful gear”, with the other 2 notes I’ve spotted while looking the information up.

Every now and again the people making the comparison and contrast vods between wow vs ff makes a statement about gear isn’t really the main focus for endgame.

That’s sort of why I’ve said, “getting powerful gear”, with the other 2 notes I’ve spotted while looking the information up.

That's because gear in FFXIV largely lacks in terms of customization. There is no crazy optimization going on with different stats, there is no such thing as secondary stats like in WoW for example. It is mostly about ilvl, so the pieces are mainly stat sticks. You can meld materia orbs in your gear, which are very similar to gems in WoW, but what you can choose is very limited since you will just pick the stat that synergizes with your job the most and forget the others exist. Also, the game appeals more to a casual community, so gear is super straightforward and deterministic to reflect that. There is no RNG; once an endgame boss dies, it doesn't have a chance to drop a piece of gear, but currency that can be exchanged for gear instead.

This is often perceived as an uninspired and boring gearing system from people coming from WoW, but I personally prefer it that way tbh. It respects the player time and reduces considerably the barriers to get into endgame for new and veteran players alike, instead of having to go through dozens of chores and open a weekly chest only to get cucked by RNG or run a dungeon and not drop your BiS conduit...

But yeah, getting powerful gear definitely isn't the focus of the endgame. In terms of PvE it is more focused on the encounters and how you have to adapt to the fight depending on the job you're playing to be able to succeed. For example, Black Mage is one of the easiest jobs to pick up in the whole game, but also the most difficult one to optimize and be good at; the skill floor is very low, but the skill ceiling is high as fuck. The tradeoff is that since you can do a whole lot of damage, you lose mobility. It is essentially a magical turret that stays rooted in place hardcasting spells with big cast times, which means you NEED to have a solid grasp of encounters to know exactly how much you can move in a fight to optimize your long cast times while not getting hit by mechanics. Dying in this game is very punishing as you receive a debuff called Weakness that reduces your main stats in 25% upon resurrection, upgrading to Brink of Death if the player dies again while inflicted by Weakness, being a 50% decrease this time. Both last for 100 seconds. Due to the nature of these debuffs, it is imperative for every job to thoroughly know a fight in order to stay alive and dish as much DPS as possible, but Black Mage takes that to the next level.

Vets have not been able to turn xp on ever, that is not an SL thing.

in BFA i was able to turn on xp on six of my vets, after 8.3, i did not use a token until SL i turned xp off, based on what i did in BFA i did not bother turning xp on, in SL i have not been able to turn it on

ever and never are subject to change hotfix to patch to hotfix. this occurs with items, tool tips. etc

i have three five mages at 20. at SL start one F2P horde mage, was able train some capital portals and mass portals at 20, it was costly but i had the gold thru numerous stacks of eternium thread. i thought nothing of it, months into the expac as i built gold on the other F2P and vets, they all show level 21+ now. with two other mages only have portal to stonard

in BFA i was able to turn on xp on six of my vets, after 8.3, i did not use a token until SL i turned xp off, based on what i did in BFA i did not bother turning xp on, in SL i have not been able to turn it on

ever and never are subject to change hotfix to patch to hotfix. this occurs with items, tool tips. etc

i have three five mages at 20. at SL start one F2P horde mage, was able train some capital portals and mass portals at 20, it was costly but i had the gold thru numerous stacks of eternium thread. i thought nothing of it, months into the expac as i built gold on the other F2P and vets, they all show level 21+ now. with two other mages only have portal to stonard
Maybe just faulty memory on your part, but ye. I dont know how many words I need to use to say youre wrong. It was never a thing vets could do.

Users who are viewing this thread