Controversial: Religion

This is the thread where we can talk about different beliefs and discuss how they have affected and changed the world and caused certain events.

PLEASE NO HATRED TOWARDS ANY RELIGION!

My first question:

Do you think public schools should teach religion, if so, why?

Second question:

Do you think Religion should have an influence on the government?

Yes. I liked story time when I was in school and religion is just one big fairytale.

~Zuty

Twinkytoes said:
But what if someone else from a different religion went to that school?

Then they learn the religion. It would be part of the schools curriculum. Saying "I don't want to learn <A>, because I am ." is like me saying "I don't want to learn about ancient Rome because I am from the 21st century."

~Zuty

I vote for no religion in school, mainly because then it comes down to which is correct, which is impossible to tell.

That or allow a class to be taught in school, but have it as an elective.

If they want to pay for a building and hold meetings about that religion (church, temple, etc) its fine with me.

I think its a good idea to be educated about religion and all the major religions, however i dont think there should be any bias whatsoever towards one religion and no propoganda. In the UK thats pretty much what happens and it works fine.

When it comes down to teachin things like creationism in schools alongside evolution, i think that its completely wrong to pose irrational belief as an alternative theory to scientific fact.

PS: FSM 4 eva!

Religion shouldn't be taught in school, at least not at a young age. If it is taught, it should be taught to older levels, and not as a church would teach it, but as a sort of analytical class. You would learn about the religion, not learn the religion, if that makes sense.

So a 15 page thread wasn't enough?

Twinkytoes said:

PLEASE NO HATRED TOWARDS ANY RELIGION!

What about towards all religion?

HEY GUYS LETS DISCUSS THE VALIDITY OF TEACHING SANTA CLAUS AND TOOTH FAIRY TALES IN SCHOOL INSTEAD. At least that's productive and doesn't make you retarded.

Not real. /end thread

i believe that all religions should be taught in schools at any age past 13, however only the religion and their beliefs not the doctrine of higher learning for that religion, or preparing them to become say a minister. thats why there are private schools that practice a certain religion.

There's a great video I watched, I don't like to convince people to give up their faith, but it really makes perfect sense to me:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6ILZAaAMI&feature=channel]YouTube - The best optical illusion in the world![/ame]

I do still have great respect for religion and those who practice it, because religion is essentially a group of moral codes that you agree to live by, there is just a lot that doesn't make sense if you really think logically about it.

I also don't like how people are bashing religion, some people believe in it, you have no right to attack it in the way that you are. If you have beliefs, you should calmly and appropriately state them, without reference to others.

Naturaltalnt said:
I vote for no religion in school, mainly because then it comes down to which is correct, which is impossible to tell.

That should be the question on the final. The answer of course is none of them.

~Zuty

Users who are viewing this thread