Comprehensive Profession Guide for lv20 F2P

pinochet

Legend
Intro:

This is, to the best of my knowledge, a comprehensive guide to the combat-useful profession benefits available to a f2p. Feel free to note omissions, etc., in the comments. Some of these profs I only researched on wowhead, so there are bound to be a few errors.

Note that (passive) or (req. eng), etc., indicates that one must keep the profession in order to maintain the benefit; all other items can be equipped, used, or stockpiled, and the profession dropped for something else. Similarly, (world drop) indicates an item that is difficult to farm, and (gnome only), etc., indicates something that is only available to one race due to a racial or a selective vendor.

Alchemy (100):

Mixology (passive): doubles the duration of elixirs and increases their effect. Mixology values are listed in parentheses below.

Elixir of Minor Fortitude: +27(35) hp, guardian

Elixir of Giant Growth (barrens zone drop): +8(16) str, battle
>The zone droprate is much higher than a normal world drop, making this relatively easy to farm.

Elixir of Lion's Strength: +4(12) str, battle

Elixir of Minor Agility (world drop): +4(12) agi, battle

Elixir of Wisdom: +6(14) int, battle

Swiftness Potion (world drop): clicky sprint

Rage Potion: ~30 rage clicky

Holy Protection Potion: absorbs ~400 holy damage
>This shares a CD with all potions and only averages ~100hp more than a healing potion after the pvp healing reduction, making it only situationally useful.

Lesser Healing Potion: Heals ~270hp. Strictly inferior to purchased Healing Potion, but craftable in unlimited quantity.

Healing Potion (goblin only): Heals ~480hp. Also obtained by all classes in limited quantity from dungeons and vendors.

Fun stuff: Swim Speed Potion, Elixir of Water Breathing

Blacksmithing (100):

Coarse Sharpening Stone: +3 weap damage imbue

Coarse Weightstone: +3 weap damage imbue

Fun stuff: Silver Skeleton Key

Enchanting (100):

Minor Wizard Oil: +3 int imbue (+4 in BGs)

Enchant Bracer - Minor Stamina: +1 sta

Enchant Bracer - Minor Deflection: +2 dodge

Enchant Bracer - Minor Agility: +1 agi

Enchant Bracer - Minor Spirit (world drop): +1 spi

Enchant Bracer - Minor Strength (world drop): +1 str

Enchant Chest - Lesser Health: +15 health

Enchant Chest - Lesser Mana (horde only): +20 mana
>This will multiply to +100 mana total for caster classes.

Enchant Weapon - Minor Striking: +1 weap damage

Enchant 2H Weapon - Minor Impact: +2 weap damange

Enchant 2H Weapon - Lesser Intellect: +3 int

Enchant Cloak - Minor Protection: +10 armor

Enchant Cloak - Minor Agility (blood elf only): +1 agi

Enchant Shield - Minor Stamina (blood elf only): +1 sta

Engineering (100):

Crude Scope: +1 gun/bow dmg

Standard Scope (gnome only): +2 gun/bow dmg, obtainable to non-gnomes through Box of Assorted Parts in Gnomeregon only.

Flying Tiger Goggles (req. eng): 4 sta 4 hit head

Rough Copper Bomb (req. eng): 1 sec incapacitate bomb

Large Copper Bomb (req. eng, gnome only): 1 sec incapacitate bomb, 50 dmg instead of 26

Ez-Thro Dynamite (world drop): 60 AoE dmg, no incapacitate, no engineering requirement

Coarse Dynamite (req. eng): Same damage as above, fewer mats, does have engineering requirement.

Fun stuff: Mechanical Squirrel Box, Target Dummy, Small Seaforium Charge

Herbalism (100):

Lifeblood (req. herb): 15 haste clicky and instant heal for 30-90.

Bloodthistle (blood elf only): +10 sp consumable. The identical Bloodthistle Petal can be obtained without herbalism, but only stacks to 5 at a time.

Inscription (100):

Note that scrolls can be applied both to self and others.

Scroll of Stamina II: +5 sta, guard

Scroll of Intellect II: +5 int, battle

Scroll of Spirit II: +5 spi, battle

Scroll of Agility II: +5 agi, battle

Scroll of Strength II: +5 str, battle

Mystic Tome: 7 int offhand

Fun Stuff: Scroll of Recall, Mysterious Tarot

Jewelcrafting (100):

Brilliant Necklace: 1 sta 2 int 2 spi 2 agi 2 str -- possible BiS neck for many casters

Thick Bronze Necklace: 3 sta -- possible BiS neck for many casters

Coarse Stone Statue: heals 180hp over 12 sec

Heavy Stone Statue (draenei only): heals 400hp over 16 sec

Leatherworking (100):

Medium Armor Kit: +16 armor on 3 slots

Mining (100):

Toughness (passive): +3 sta

Skinning (100):

Master of Anatomy (passive): +3 crit

Tailoring (100):

Fun Stuff: Brown Linen Shirt, Blue Linen Shirt, Red Linen Shirt, Green Linen Shirt, Gray Woolen Shirt, Blue Overalls

Cooking (375):

(Many recipes): +6 sta +6 spi food buff.

Smoked Sagefish: +4 mp5 food buff

Thistle Tea: +100 energy clicky for rogues

Fun Stuff: Savory Deviate Delight

Fishing (375):

Lucky Fishing Hat: 15 sta head

Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat: 3 sta 3 spi head

Stendel's Wedding Band: 5 crit ring

Swiftness Potion: clicky sprint, drops from fishing and from daily

Fun Stuff: Strand Crawler, Recipe: Captain Rumsey's Lager, Sea Turtle, various offhand fish.

Note that there is no minimum skill for fishing from pools, and thus for obtaining Fishing Hat from STV event, but 100 skill will allow Find Fish to be learned, which helps substantially.

First Aid (225):

Heavy Silk Bandage: heals 640hp/8sec

Mageweave Bandage: heals 800hp/8sec, difficult to farm

Anti-Venom: removes crippling poison and serpent sting, consumable

Archaeology (225):
Fun Stuff: Chalice of the Mountain Kings, Clockwork Gnome, The Innkeeper's Daughter, Ancient Amber, Fossilized Hatchling, Pterrordax Hatchling, Druid and Priest Statue Set, Highborne Soul Mirror, Kaldorei Wind Chimes, Bones of Transformation, Wisp Amulet.

Shameless plug for my archaeology guide

Leveling Advice:

By all means, feel free to disregard this and level your professions in any order you please. However, I recommend making a plan on paper in order to avoid sticky situations, such as being stuck at 98/100 LW with an un-droppable ENG.

Model leveling plan (for a hypothetical priest):

- level with SKIN+ENCH, bank leather and mats

- drop ENCH for LW, level to armor kits and stockpile

- drop LW for ENCH, DE greens

- drop all profs, pick up MINE+JC

- level JC to 75, craft necks

- check for gems for goggles, prospect if necessary

- drop JC for ENCH, DE greens

- use banked mats to max ENCH using vellums, stockpile enchants and oils

- drop ENCH for ENG, craft bombs, goggles

- drop MINE for HERB for lifeblood

Modify to suit your needs, but notice that we never had a crafting prof without the accompanying gathering prof, and ended with the desired passives. Cool story bro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Draenei cannot use the Collar or the Amulet as they both require level 25 to equip. They can, however, still craft them.

Standard Scope is also available to non-Gnome F2P, but it requires farming Box of Assorted Parts which can be found only in VC, Gnomer, and Bloodmyst Isle and in a short supply (~3 at each location)

~Zuty

I think you should go through the items crafted again ... I just noticed that Heavy Silver Ring requires level 22.

Clean it up and make sure everything is accurate and than I will stick it.

~Zuty

for alchemy, you could list the elixirs with and without the mixology bonuses since most compare alchemy to inscription.

for engineering, you could specify which ones require you to keep engineering to use.

for cooking, i believe heavy crokolisk stew is also +8.

fishing---stendel's wedding band is an awesome crit ring...you also need it for swimspeed pots (more of a pve thing)...and for the turtle mount (more of a pve thing)

Elixir of giant growth is a Barrens drop, not a world drop....much easier to farm.

you're missing PvE stuff like engineering pets, blacksmithing keys, tarrot cards, +fishing recipe, swimspeed pots, scrolls of recall, target dummies (for CC), seaforium charges, etc. (as a comprehensive guide, i think those should be included since its not a "F2P, PvP prof guide")

anti-venom, you could probably clarify which poisons it removes (the rogue snare & hunter's DoT) & that its also difficult to farm....the snare part is kind of important IMO.

you also might want to add that scrolls can be applied to others, where alchemy elixirs are self-only (a bit of factor when weighing the two).

engineers have a couple AoE bombs they can make...somewhat valuable considering our lack of many AoE abilities.

i think you should add the alchemy health pots...even though the limited-supply vendor pots are better, can you really farm enough of them to keep you supplied? i can't. so the crafted ones do provide a perk.

you could probably add the silver rod to blacksmithing for BELFs only as its mentioned in enchanting.

as far as strategies go, you can start with skinning+mining; otherwise, you're missing the opportunity to gather minerals while you're skinning. it takes some serious bag-management, but easy to do (as you're saving leather, ores, and various greens)...if you get to the point you're out of room, just drop mining and pick up enchanting to DE all the greens. this leaves you in the same position as your strat, but you have a head-start with ore.

why is your hypothetical priest making scopes?

for priests, inscription is most definitely not > alchemy. you'd be giving up 6 intel for `1 stam. (you might still prefer the 1 stam, but you can't say as a rule that inscription > stam...especially for casters).

hmmm, i suppose for a "comprehensive" guide, you could list the 20-slot prof bags you can buy..?.?.

you could also add the glow colors for the weapon enchants.

the herbalism perk isn't passive. you have to click (as you mention).

elixir of minor agility is a world drop.

I've gone through and checked every item linked for obtainability and level requirement, and I am reasonably confident that there are no more errors, or gear omissions. Novelty item omissions are a definite possibility, but I am less concerned about this and will continue to update as they get commented.

I don't have alch on any of my chars, so I'm unsure about the exact benefits of Mixology in terms of stats, can anyone get definitive info on this?

I'm in the process of adding most of solvogero's (quite good) suggestions at the moment. I'm not including Silver Rod in BS since it's mentioned where it's needed and I think there's more potential for confusion and tl;dr if I stick it in BS. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't have put the word "comprehensive" in the title, since it's giving the impression that this is supposed to have every situational item in it. Rather than try and draw an arbitrary line, I think I'll just err on the side of over-inclusion.

W/ respect to mining/skinning vs skinning/enchanting while leveling, I find bag space too restrictive for mining and prefer to be able to "stack" my greens in my bags instead, saving me trips to the bank. /shrug

I've also left a message with Medan to edit this into his general info thread in place of the profession guide he has there. Stickying this thread will be unnecessary if/when that happens.

Edit: done, no need to sticky. Time for this thread to drift to the depths of the forum archive...

Edit 2: That thread is unsticked, so I will continue to keep this up to date.

pinochet said:
I've also left a message with Medan to edit this into his general info thread in place of the profession guide he has there. Stickying this thread will be unnecessary if/when that happens.

Just edited it in. Good Job.

Perhaps we should do this with the other stickies as well. Its a lot atm

For Blacksmithing, you could also add the Heavy Copper Longsword. I believe this is the only back-sheathed sword for Alliance. Doesn't sound that spectacular, but it'll become significant if we can do Transmorgification.

Ugh. I just realized that it looks like Horde no longer have any back-sheath sword options. :/

A good farming spot for Linen Cloth (required for explosives, levelling First Aid and what not) is Jerod's Landing in Elwynn Forest.

The old Rogue class Quest NPC's are still there, and when you attack the Dockmaster 3 bodyguards still appear, which all still drop multiple Linen Cloth pretty often.

The kicker is that the Dockmaster re-spawns rediculously fast, resulting in those bodyguards re-spawning really fast as well, and as a result you'll be up into your armpits in Cloth (and corpses) in short order.

Guess I will continue updating this now that the forum has undergone a stickyclysm.

Heavy Silver Ring is a no-go because it requires lv 22. I had a bunch of bad JC info in there earlier until Zuty corrected me, including that piece. It's probably for the better that we don't have access to HSR; the idea of trying to farm those mats over and over looking for a 4/4 monkey or eluding ring is just terrifying.

Thx Aradiel for the giant growth info, will add that to the guide.

pinochet said:
Guess I will continue updating this now that the forum has undergone a stickyclysm.

Heavy Silver Ring is a no-go because it requires lv 22. I had a bunch of bad JC info in there earlier until Zuty corrected me, including that piece. It's probably for the better that we don't have access to HSR; the idea of trying to farm those mats over and over looking for a 4/4 monkey or eluding ring is just terrifying.

Thx Aradiel for the giant growth info, will add that to the guide.

d'oh. my bad.

Hmm, for the Bloodthistle I think you should mention that any Blood Elf (any Horde really) can also farm Bloodthistle petals with http://www.wowhead.com/item=23500 . The way you have it now suggests you need Herbalism for the perk, which isn't really true. The two drawbacks of the petals over the actual herb is that you can only have 5 petals at a time, and you have to carry the invitation in your bag in order to farm them.

the more i think about that herb, the more i like it. I think all BE's can use the bonus from it except maybe warriors as they're the only ones without some kind of magic-based attack.

You could include Enchant Chest Minor Mana (+5 mana), considering the +20 is Horde-only.

Blood Elfs can also do 'Enchant 2H Weapon – Lesser Spirit"...not sure why they'd want to though unless they really wanted the white glow.

Users who are viewing this thread