Community, Competition, Newbs, and Elitists

[MENTION=16622]Jadyne[/MENTION] I agree but I've always been more of a team player than a solo competitor.

For me I'd rather lose the competitive edge and gain more activity. Especially at this stage of the game where if you want competitive game play keep it to war games and premades.

I feel like the priorities are still out of order from where they should be at this point as I still see people value high competition over activity. Activity leads to competition.

[MENTION=16622]Jadyne[/MENTION] I agree but I've always been more of a team player than a solo competitor.

For me I'd rather lose the competitive edge and gain more activity. Especially at this stage of the game where if you want competitive game play keep it to war games and premades.

I feel like the priorities are still out of order from where they should be at this point as I still see people value high competition over activity. Activity leads to competition.

I agree, but I also have a hard time actually blaming anyone for it. Everyone wants to Play to Win, and that's legit. If you can pick your teammates, you'll pick the best you can, and exclude the worse players. Which leads to fewer and fewer players getting the chance to join in and learn and become better.

It's a conflict between "playing to win" and "building the community", and playing to win usually wins out because who wants to go to the trouble of building a community before actually playing? You have to delay gratification to do that, and (almost) no one wants to do that in a game.

Ok, so, Dirty Nasty, You're arguing that the bracket never shrank? Or just that we haven't proven that it shrank in Cata? Or that it didn't shrink as much? At one point you say all you're saying is that there were more than 2 guilds in Cata. Okay, lets work with that

All I'm saying is that there were much more than 2 guilds in cata.

I made no mention about before Cata because I really don't care because it is in the past and there is much more than 'rampant elitism' that led to its current state. Many of these things really aren't in our control.

Bye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made no mention about before Cata because I really don't care because it is in the past and there is much more than 'rampant elitism' that led to its current state. Many of these things really aren't in our control.

Bye.

1. Past is relevant, because what's happened since Cata is eerily similar to what happened between Vanilla and WotLK. Means there's a pattern here that can be identified and hopefully avoided.

2. We can not control Blizzard. We can try to influence them; I know I tried pretty hard to influence them at some point. They didn't start even talking to the twink community until about 2 months after I quit.

3. We can control ourselves, and we can influence each other. It all depends on what you want out of WoW. You want games? You got em at 20-24. You want them in other brackets? Network with other players and lend your support to players who have connections and the ability to contact and influence others. You want to win games? Improve your skill as far as you can, then find teammates who are skilled or train them to be skilled, and practice until you can beat anybody. You want to just chat or complain about how things are now? Well, you already get to do that.

4. A lot of people claim certain things aren't possible when they're really just difficult, or take time. WoW used to have more things like that back in the day, but twinking still sometimes takes a lot of investment. A part of twinking came out of players proving that some things in this game actually were possible when people said they weren't. That usually is attributed to things like getting certain achievements, or titles, or making certain class/spec combos work. But it also applies to communities and organization. Those people who resurrected brackets, or even just organized large scale events that were thought impossible to pull off are rightfully revered for what they did, but it's actually much more doable that people seem to think. You don't have to be special or something to do it, especially not in this game. You just have to try, and keep trying until you learn how.

1. Past is relevant, because what's happened since Cata is eerily similar to what happened between Vanilla and WotLK. Means there's a pattern here that can be identified and hopefully avoided.

2. We can not control Blizzard. We can try to influence them; I know I tried pretty hard to influence them at some point. They didn't start even talking to the twink community until about 2 months after I quit.

3. We can control ourselves, and we can influence each other. It all depends on what you want out of WoW. You want games? You got em at 20-24. You want them in other brackets? Network with other players and lend your support to players who have connections and the ability to contact and influence others. You want to win games? Improve your skill as far as you can, then find teammates who are skilled or train them to be skilled, and practice until you can beat anybody. You want to just chat or complain about how things are now? Well, you already get to do that.

4. A lot of people claim certain things aren't possible when they're really just difficult, or take time. WoW used to have more things like that back in the day, but twinking still sometimes takes a lot of investment. A part of twinking came out of players proving that some things in this game actually were possible when people said they weren't. That usually is attributed to things like getting certain achievements, or titles, or making certain class/spec combos work. But it also applies to communities and organization. Those people who resurrected brackets, or even just organized large scale events that were thought impossible to pull off are rightfully revered for what they did, but it's actually much more doable that people seem to think. You don't have to be special or something to do it, especially not in this game. You just have to try, and keep trying until you learn how.

I agree. I just wanted to point out that there were far more than guilds than 2; one on each faction in Cata.

Users who are viewing this thread