Church is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps if @Zuro went to some kind of services he would not be so angry and rude on an Internet forum.
Have a wonderful day everyone!

/cheers
Ye, you people piss me off. It's frustrating to always be right and see people be wrong about simple stuff.

I found the comment amusing. The burden of proof suggests that because nobody can disprove the existence of God that the statement "God exists" remains "true".

I remember when I was learning about different types of arguments and logical fallacies in college too. Good times.....now go suck a fart out of a dog's ass good sir.
Read again. What you just did is called an argument from ignorance which is a logical fallacy.

One way in which one would attempt to shift the burden of proof is by comitting a logical fallacy known as the argument from ignorance. It occurs when a proposition is assumed to be true because it has not yet been proved false.

I'm schooling you and I havent even gone to college yet.

You're a clueless idiot. If you aren't an atheist your logical skills are pisspoor. If you are one of those dense people calling themselves an agnostic I have nothing but pity for your incompetent mind.
Atheism is its own religion. Absolute faith that there is not a God is its foundation.

Can't prove there is a God; can't prove there is not a God. Agnosticism is the only logically defensible position.

Read again. What you just did is called an argument from ignorance which is a logical fallacy.

One way in which one would attempt to shift the burden of proof is by comitting a logical fallacy known as the argument from ignorance. It occurs when a proposition is assumed to be true because it has not yet been proved false.

I'm schooling you and I havent even gone to college yet.

Put down that 101 textbook before you hurt yourself.

Last edited:
Can't prove there is a God

Found a picture of god. Guess we can all shut up now.
lemmy-triumph-bonneville.jpg

I could never be with a religious girl, or an atheist one, equally as illogical.

I don't get what's illogical about being an atheist. You mean the self-righteous ones who troll the internet?

Using terms like burden of proof and logical fallacy to come across as intellectually superior while insulting people doesn't make you look smart or correct, just makes you seem like a narcissist who is incapable of seeing beyond their bubble. You cannot prove that there is no God, you cannot prove that there is one, it's that simple, anything else is unnecessary excess.

What you fail to realize is that just because you can win an argument or a debate doesn't mean you are actually correct, so I ask you @Zuro for the sake of conversation, prove to me god doesn't exist.

I don't get what's illogical about being an atheist. You mean the self-righteous ones who troll the internet?
Athests have no way to prove the non existence of an omipotent being. This whole burden of proof thing is a silly defense mechanism to avoid justifying an illogical belief that zuro here knows he can't defend without using these linguistic tools

The only way to disprove the existence an omnipotent/omnipresent being would be to be one yourself, and then theists would be correct, a bit of a paradox.

Now, with regards to the matter I believe you are really asking about in this thread........If you want to know what serving God looks like, it's simple. Live a life of love. Now what does that look like in your case? You are a husband and soon to be father. Now to serve God you simply need to be the best husband you can be, the best (soon to be) father you can be, the best employee you can be, the best friend, the best son, the best brother etc you can be. That is serving God. It's not about running from door to door trying to knock people on the head with a Bible. Your very life should be a living Bible, so when people see your life they see the Bible and the love of God. That's how you serve God. Not everyone is called to be an evangelist, a pastor etc. Even if someone is called to be a minister of some kind, it doesn't give them an exemption from fulfilling all their other duties like being a good husband, father etc. You simply serve God by loving all those around you.

As someone who grew up in a Muslim family, when I replace the words God with Allah and Bible with Quran this quote sounds awfully familiar to what is preached in Islam. It really makes you realize how similar most religions really are, yet somehow all religions claim that their own religion is the "truth". Oddly enough, growing up as a little gay boy in a religious family is what initially increased my curiosity in religions as a whole, which is what led me to believe in no religion. Though I can understand how people can find peace in religion. To each their own.

Being agnostic is much more logical than being an atheist imo. Simply because agnostics believe that you can't prove that god is or isn't real, rather than outright denying his existence.

Athests have no way to prove the non existence of an omipotent being. This whole burden of proof thing is a silly defense mechanism to avoid justifying an illogical belief that zuro here knows he can't defend without using these linguistic tools

The only way to disprove the existence an omnipotent/omnipresent being would be to be one yourself, and then theists would be correct, a bit of a paradox.

There's the problem with this topic. We treat this as if it's some taboo subject that nobody is supposed to believe in either side in worry of hurting one's feelings. Like everyone is prohibited from coming to a decision. You're right, it is a paradox, and it may never be solved. But are you saying it's stupid to disbelieve in the invisible and unobservable apple floating in front of you at all times? No I'm not talking about quantum mechanics, just pure mystical reasoning. Sounds rediculous to defend don't you think? So why is it so fucking wrong to disbelieve something as unobservable as god? I give credit to someone who has made up their mind, that way no matter what is true about the subject, they can go on throughout their lives constantly bickering about it. It doesn't change and/or reinforce the truth, it's just a grounded state of mind. You don't go around leaving multiple choice questions unanswered do you? I don't think anyone can get anywhere in life being a fence-sitter.

As long as this personal decision does not convince the person that he/she should force it down another person's throats and harm people with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole burden of proof thing is a silly defense mechanism to avoid justifying an illogical belief that zuro here knows he can't defend without using these linguistic tools

But the burden of proof does not apply only to religion. The whole science is based on it. You need valid evidence to make your statement (paper) right. Without valid evidence it is just plain paper.

So it is logical to not believe in something which cannot be proven.
The whole existence of god is based on "faith" without any evidence.
No evidence = false statement = logical to not believe in it.

There's the problem with this topic. We treat this as if it's some taboo subject that nobody is supposed to believe in either side in worry of hurting one's feelings. Like everyone is prohibited from coming to a decision. You're right, it is a paradox, and it may never be solved. But are you saying it's stupid to disbelieve in the invisible and unobservable apple floating in front of you at all times? No I'm not talking about quantum mechanics, just pure mystical reasoning. Sounds rediculous to defend don't you think? So why is it so trucking wrong to disbelieve something as unobservable as god? I give credit to someone who has made up their mind, that way no matter what is true about the subject, they can go on throughout their lives constantly bickering about it. It doesn't change and/or reinforce the truth, it's just a grounded state of mind. You don't go around leaving multiple choice questions unanswered do you? I don't think anyone can get anywhere in life being a fence-sitter.

As long as this personal decision does not convince the person that he/she should force it down another person's throats and harm people with it.
I'm not here sitting and insulting people who aren't throwing insults, but logic is logic, I was an atheist until i realized I just hated the idea of god, and you can't hate something you don't know if exists or not. It's not sitting on the fence, its acknowledging there is only so much you can know as a human.

There seems to be a misconception about the definitions of Atheism and Agnosticism, which I would like to address.
Though atheism and agnosticism share the same topic (God/s), they are in a different category.
Agnosticism deals with knowledge claims, atheism deals with belief / disbelief claims.

Belief: An acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.

Knowledge: Facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education.

Using the Justice system as an example, a criminal is innocent until proven guilty.
A theist claims the criminal is guilty (God exists) whereas an atheist’s is unconvinced of a guilty or not guilty charge, but the default position of innocence, due to insufficient evidence.

Another way to look at this.

Position of belief

1. I believe a God exists. - Theist
2. I’m unconvinced that a God/s exists. - Atheist
3. I believe that this God does not exist.

Whereas Agnosticism is a position of Knowledge

1. I know that this God exists. (Gnostic theist)
2. I don’t know that this God exists. (Agnostic)
3. I know this God does not exist. (Gnostic atheist)

One more thing, atheism isn’t a religion, or a world view, it has no doctrines, or rituals, it’s simple a response to a belief claim.

Hope this helps clear a few things up

From Your loving Agnostic - Atheist, Spew :)

Last edited:
I'm not here sitting and insulting people who aren't throwing insults, but logic is logic

You're bending the word "logic" to suit your own opinion. Let's say a specific horse wins a race every time, and every other horse has short legs and zero training. Is it illogical to think that the trained and undefeated horse will win the next race?

I was an atheist until i realized I just hated the idea of god, and you can't hate something you don't know if exists or not.

So the "idea of god" is nonexistent? I don''t get what you are trying to say. And you can hate something that doesn't exist. Hate is a viewpoint, not a scientific connection to something.

HEY GUYS MY CAPS LOCK IS BROKEN, THIS THREAD HAS MORE PARTICIPATION POINTS THEN ANY OTHER ON XPoff.com JUST THOUGHT I'D LET YOU ALL KNOW :PogChamp:

If you sit on a fence about something long enough, your asshole gets bigger.

Still waiting for conclusive evidence for or against the existence of a god(s), lemme know if anyone finds anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread