Cash Flow - Guild Perk Removed!

Mocha

Legendary
Blizzard has decided to remove Cash Flow and guild levels for that matter.

What are your opinions?

What you're seeing in the current build is a change that's mid-implementation. Since the introduction of the guild system in Cataclysm, the nature of guild leveling and guild perks has shifted from being a reward for dedication and collective effort, to effectively being a penalty and barrier to entry for new guilds. We've made it easier to level guilds over the years, allowing low-level quests to count fully towards guild experience, and removing weekly caps on progress. That helps ease the barriers, but it's more of a band-aid than a true solution to the underlying problem.

Our current plan for Warlords is to effectively remove guild leveling (you could also think of it as "all guilds are automatically level 25"). We originally came up with two dozen perks in order to offer something at every guild level, but without the continued need for that granularity, we can streamline the system a bit. Many perks can just be rolled into default behaviors, since a majority of players already had them and the world was designed and tuned around their existence: Flight path taxis can just inherently move 25% faster instead of requiring "Ride Like the Wind"; Honor rewards and item costs can be balanced as if you had "Honorable Mention"; and so forth. For most players, who are in max-level guilds, nothing should perceptibly change.

We still want to incentivize guild membership, aside from the social benefits, so we're keeping conveniences like faster mount speed, instant guild mail, Mass Resurrection, etc., as exclusive benefits to all guilded players. The guild achievement system, and unlocked items and other benefits through completion of guild achievements, will remain as-is. We'd like to emphasize that system a bit more as a yardstick for collective accomplishment, rather than guild level which primarily just reflects individual effort.

The Cash Flow perk is obviously popular, though in most guilds it actually contributes less gold to the guild bank than something like Guild Challenges, since it only applies to looted coins. However, it also fuels some degenerate player behavior: if you've made an alt lately, you've probably noticed that you can't go more than a minute or two without receiving a guild invite - typically from "leaders" who are looking to recruit armies of often-unwitting players to both level guilds for later sale, and to increase the amount of Cash Flow gold that is siphoned into coffers to which only they have access. It can be a meaningful amount of gold for one player's pockets, but for something like a raiding guild, Cash Flow gold barely makes a dent in something like total repair costs. We're removing the Cash Flow perk in Warlords.

We do recognize that it's essential for guilds to have ways of financing their costs, and we will offer alternative, and more lucrative, options for doing so in Warlords (for example, bringing back some Bind on Equip epic drops in raids).

Personally, Cash Flow was a huge chunk of my income as my guild was a leveling guild. I also leveled it to max level by myself and used the perk for guild members' guild BOAs. Now that the perk is removed, I won't be going out of pocket to buy guild BOAs for members.

Going to be missing this perk! Once WoD hits I'll be flushing nearly all of my members with the exception of some serious PvPers for Max Level.

All perks and levels of guilds are being removed, but imdont see the point in removing them because of all the hard work people put into trying to get them leveled

Perks should never have been introduced to guilds..
Made people join money grabbing guilds just for the benefit of some extra exp.
And made it alot harder for a new guild to get started if people only wanted to join a money grab guild.
Personally I would never join a guild who spams out their crappy guild advertisment to everyone with a addon in the only purpose of getting gold for the owner without actually doing anything besides pushing "invite"
It was a cheesy way of making gold imo.

TWo guildies of mine leveled the guild to level 25 from level 1 on their own, It took them months and it was pretty awesome that they reached it with the two of them, now that work will be removed again and as far as I know, not even a feat of strength ot show for it.

Hope they bring back Have Group Will Travel!

TWo guildies of mine leveled the guild to level 25 from level 1 on their own, It took them months and it was pretty awesome that they reached it with the two of them, now that work will be removed again and as far as I know, not even a feat of strength ot show for it.

Hope they bring back Have Group Will Travel!

Cause people weren't totally abusing / exploiting that guild perk to the point where bilzzard had to remove it.

Cause people weren't totally abusing / exploiting that guild perk to the point where bilzzard had to remove it.
I concur. The HGWT perk was used in so many unintended ways. That one was a huge problem.

As for Cash Flows... What's the big deal? Guilds are making some extra gold just for having members?

I get that people started spamming like crazy... but honestly that's what the blocking guild invites function is for. If they wanted to make this not an issue, simply default new members to having block guild invites toggled on upon creating a character or at least give them the option once their character is made. People have been complaining about being spammed by guilds almost as if it hurts them every time a guild asks a member to join. Pop up on your screen asking if you want to join and a whisper. How inconvenient! ;)

I understand that removing guild levels and removing Cash Flow will help make guild reputations a thing again because people will only join the guilds that they want to be in for more reasons than just the perks of a higher leveled guild.

However, I don't think guilds will be even 1/10th as meaningful as they were in the past! the entire concept was to get guildies to work together and to reward them accordingly. However, back before guild levels etc, I personally remember being in nothing but extremely interactive guilds and everyone was always doing things together! Now i really haven't seen guildies interact besides scheduled raids and that's about it. Guild chat in nearly every guild I've been in (and I've had toons in many, many, many PvE and PvP guilds) have become the equivalent to Desolace chat!

Small thoughts on possible changes yada yada (unimportant)
Now what would be nice is a way to help control server faction populations and ratios. So many bandwagon kids going to the same big servers and it completely destroys the previous servers! Cross realms didn't do a single thing towards balancing factions, just overall server populations. It would be incredible to see more servers merged along with free transfers in between battle groups or something of the sort. I wonder what effects merging all of the servers auction houses would have on the economy now that I think about it. (Unrelated I know) I guess it would drive supply up and therefore price down on many items. At least there wouldn't be the "depends on your server" when inquiring about the market. I'm sure things would settle down for the most part to a near standard price per item.
(This is not directed 100% towards you, merely venting some opinions on the subject)

I concur. The HGWT perk was used in so many unintended ways. That one was a huge problem.

As for Cash Flows... What's the big deal? Guilds are making some extra gold just for having members?

I get that people started spamming like crazy... but honestly that's what the blocking guild invites function is for. If they wanted to make this not an issue, simply default new members to having block guild invites toggled on upon creating a character or at least give them the option once their character is made. People have been complaining about being spammed by guilds almost as if it hurts them every time a guild asks a member to join. Pop up on your screen asking if you want to join and a whisper. How inconvenient! ;)

I understand that removing guild levels and removing Cash Flow will help make guild reputations a thing again because people will only join the guilds that they want to be in for more reasons than just the perks of a higher leveled guild.

However, I don't think guilds will be even 1/10th as meaningful as they were in the past! the entire concept was to get guildies to work together and to reward them accordingly. However, back before guild levels etc, I personally remember being in nothing but extremely interactive guilds and everyone was always doing things together! Now i really haven't seen guildies interact besides scheduled raids and that's about it. Guild chat in nearly every guild I've been in (and I've had toons in many, many, many PvE and PvP guilds) have become the equivalent to Desolace chat!

Small thoughts on possible changes yada yada (unimportant)
Now what would be nice is a way to help control server faction populations and ratios. So many bandwagon kids going to the same big servers and it completely destroys the previous servers! Cross realms didn't do a single thing towards balancing factions, just overall server populations. It would be incredible to see more servers merged along with free transfers in between battle groups or something of the sort. I wonder what effects merging all of the servers auction houses would have on the economy now that I think about it. (Unrelated I know) I guess it would drive supply up and therefore price down on many items. At least there wouldn't be the "depends on your server" when inquiring about the market. I'm sure things would settle down for the most part to a near standard price per item.
(This is not directed 100% towards you, merely venting some opinions on the subject)

A Guild is a group of people playing togheter, and it should stay that way not some market way to earn X amount of gold and then sell the guild off pre wod as i've been seing alot of players do. Cashing out if you may

who are you prince john in robin hood

I liked being able to have twinks in Cata roll over to Akama and I liked having the funds to be able to buy their BOAs for them with guild bank money! Either way this is quite irrelevant these days as there aren't many people who are rolling new twinks who are connected to our community on TI or elsewhere.

I was making some good side gold with that perk. My bank guild had over 800 members. 500 were 90's. People were always coming and going. Sadly I had to /gkick them all when this happened. Thank goodness there is as an addon for mass booting.

Users who are viewing this thread