Anyone interested in a gold-making video by me?

yup, i have a classmate (junior highschool classmate from back when I was in China) that makes close to $300k a year in a large IT company (not FAANG though). i was one of the top students in my class and his marks sucked, interesting how the table has turned eh?

private sector Jamaican doctor.

Ahh, yeah I have no knowledge of outside the USA's system for med. I wish we'd adopt like Japan and some other countries have with just a 6 year program straight out of high school.

Yeah, IT is crazy. Some people don't even have a degree and are just self taught, build enough reputation, and still get well over 100k a year. Plus the option to work remote is great.
Yeah, you need to find a good work/life balance, which on the long term may mean higher average $/hour, than if you just focused on earning higher $/hour all the time and burnt out eventually.

Absolutely.

I don't know how some people doing stuff like investment banking or big law lawyers do it. Yeah, they make absurd amounts of money...They also work 24/7.

Whether we pursue the conversation about picking off under-priced BOEs from inexperienced sellers, market resets, cross server arbitrage and profession flipping or we talk about real life money management, I still have hope for this thread.

A persistent mindset is a key feature of success.

A persistent mindset is a key feature of success.

Indeed. When i got my fellow as an actuary i wrote a forum post (in Chinese) and broke down the components, if you go through the list, you will realize being persistent is the only thing that I had control over.
  • 40% luck (such as having a supportive partner, or squeezing by a couple exams with a 6 out of 10)
  • 30% persistency (out of the 8 exams, I only failed once, but that is still 9 total exam attempts, plus numerous other things such as modules, that took in total over 5 years),
  • 20% for being always mentally ready for exams thanks to the "Teaching to the test" type of education I received before I left China (notice how I did not include this as "luck" because I feel this kind of education has done me more harm than good ultimately)
  • 10% for being "smart"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread