EU [Announcement] The Burning League - F2P european Tournament

Ok so I've read the whole thing thoroughly and I think there's a lot wrong with it so I'm gonna write up some constructive criticism.

First off
: not allowing specific countries to participate is ridiculous. How would you even know that players were from said countries unless they specifically told you? And why does it even matter? They have a different alphabet? Who cares, they can write English all the same.

Second: Requiring 5 full evenings from the competitors is really pushing it. Why can't it just be saturday+sunday and that's that? There's no way you really need those 5 evenings for a f2p tournament with maybe 10 teams at most.

Thirdly: What are the pools actually for? In normal tournaments, pools are there to eliminate the worst team(s), but here it literally does nothing. If you lose everything in pools you'll still go to round 2? And pools should host 4 teams, not 3. With 4 teams you could actually use the ''losers match'' thing while still eliminating the dead last, so then pools do something.

Furthermore, why does round 2 consist of 2 matches of -the same teams again-. They already played against eachother, we already know which team came out on top, why do they have to fight eachother again? This is how Phase 2 -should- look, if you really don't want pools to eliminate anyone:

Match 1: A#1 vs B#2
Match 2: B#1 vs A#2
Match 3: A#3 vs B#3

The reason #1 gets to fight #2 is because the #1 won their pools. They get an advantageous match because they performed well, rather than not getting -anything- out of playing well in pools. The 3rd match shouldn't even exist in my opinion.

Then, and this actually blows my mind, -winning phase 2 is actually a bad thing-. If you win in phase 2 you'll have a higher chance of not making it to the finals than if you do win. That's ridiculous. The reason it's better to lose in Phase 2 is because you'll get a 2nd chance with another round robin system, which effectively gives you 1 free win (because you're playing the ''best of the worst''), while if you win phase 2 and then lose in semi-finals, you don't even get a 2nd chance, while every other team has gotten a second chance so far. That does not seem fair at all. It should look like this:

Winning teams semi finals: Team x vs Team y, Team y wins. Now Team x gets placed -in the losers semi finals round robin-, giving them their second chance, just like everybody else has gotten their second chance.

With all that in mind, this is what it would look like:
B7wlOQz.png

And then lastly, Finals being played in Gurubashi Arena. Why? You're giving any team with a caster in it a huge advantage because there is no LoS. You're effectively nullifying anything that happened during the tournament, ignoring skill and strategy and you're just saying

"Ok and for the finals you just run at eachother and see who has the most instant burst damage"

Please reconsider.

Last edited:
The amount of enthusiasm and energy put into this event from the op is admirable. However... It could've been thought out more thoroughly.

@Embu I think you should take all the advice and help you can get from the people offering it.

Ok so I've read the whole thing thoroughly and I think there's a lot wrong with it so I'm gonna write up some constructive criticism.

First off
: not allowing specific countries to participate is ridiculous. How would you even know that players were from said countries unless they specifically told you? And why does it even matter? They have a different alphabet? Who cares, they can write English all the same.

Hi,

I made this rule because very few of them have a latin script, and as I don't know russian language, I couldn't understand what they say.

But you're right on this point; if they may speak english, then, no problems.

Requiring 5 full evenings from the competitors is really pushing it. Why can't it just be saturday+sunday and that's that? There's no way you really need those 5 evenings for a f2p tournament with maybe 10 teams at most.

Problem is that everyone is not necessarily available for just a week-end. The purpose of those 5 evenings is to start the tournament slowly, phase by phase (each phase since the start gathers 9 players max, so, we have a better chance to find available players than if we had 18 players to gather).

What are the pools actually for? In normal tournaments, pools are there to eliminate the worst team(s), but here it literally does nothing. If you lose everything in pools you'll still go to round 2? And pools should host 4 teams, not 3. With 4 teams you could actually use the ''losers match'' thing while still eliminating the dead last, so then pools do something.

You're right, but, as I said previously, I chose this system in order to ensure the tournament lasts longer. Perhaps it's not the usual form, but it's like that it works.

Furthermore, why does round 2 consist of 2 matches of -the same teams again-. They already played against eachother, we already know which team came out on top, why do they have to fight eachother again?

To prolong the event, there again. Because if there are not enough teams (just 6 teams let's imagine), then, it would be too short if we do like you say.

This is how Phase 2 -should- look, if you really don't want pools to eliminate anyone:

Match 1: A#1 vs B#2
Match 2: B#1 vs A#2
Match 3: A#3 vs B#3

The reason #1 gets to fight #2 is because the #1 won their pools. They get an advantageous match because they performed well, rather than not getting -anything- out of playing well in pools. The 3rd match shouldn't even exist in my opinion.

Then, and this actually blows my mind, -winning phase 2 is actually a bad thing-. If you win in phase 2 you'll have a higher chance of not making it to the finals than if you do win. That's ridiculous. The reason it's better to lose in Phase 2 is because you'll get a 2nd chance with another round robin system, which effectively gives you 1 free win (because you're playing the ''best of the worst''), while if you win phase 2 and then lose in semi-finals, you don't even get a 2nd chance, while every other team has gotten a second chance so far. That does not seem fair at all. It should look like this:

Winning teams semi finals: Team x vs Team y, Team y wins. Now Team x gets placed -in the losers semi finals round robin-, giving them their second chance, just like everybody else has gotten their second chance.

With all that in mind, this is what it would look like:

B7wlOQz.png

Your table looks great, but it requires a 4th team for each pool, and for the moment, we have just 3 teams. As concern the phase 2, you're right. However, I prefer to keep my table as currently conceived, but I keep in mind what you said. I will speak of this with the others on Mamytwink.

And then lastly, Finals being played in Gurubashi Arena. Why? You're giving any team with a caster in it a huge advantage because there is no LoS. You're effectively nullifying anything that happened during the tournament, ignoring skill and strategy and you're just saying

"Ok and for the finals you just run at eachother and see who has the most instant burst damage"

Please reconsider.

Okay I see. I may understand that an inequality may appear because players were used to fight in arena wargames and get stuck by the new fighting system that Gurubashi arena offers.

If I made this choice however, it's because I want that everyone may see the last game. Indeed, all players have not the addon that allows to see two teams fighting each other, Arena WoW Spectator. So, my intention was to enable this, but also to allow finalist teams to have good fun by using what they couldn't used so far: consumables.

But I may understand it could create an imbalance, so okay to choose a final in an arena wargame. I talked of this with the others players of Rashferoth and one friend said that if there was a streaming, everyone could see the final without risking the coming of a High Level.

So, okay for this. However, I don't want to reconsider the big fight that will be made after the final; it keeps its location (a big fight between all participants of the tournament would be interesting to see in my opinion).

So okay to make a final in arena wargames, but it would be great if we could get an english streamer able to comment the match (I can comment a stream in English but not enough quickly like do professionals).

Your table looks great, but it requires a 4th team for each pool, and for the moment, we have just 3 teams. As concern the phase 2, you're right. However, I prefer to keep my table as currently conceived, but I keep in mind what you said. I will speak of this with the others on Mamytwink.

We discussed about your propositions here.

The fact is we are agree with the 3rd, but not the two first one.

Indeed, we prefer that the tournament lasts longer in order that everyone may have the time to participate. Because if everyone had to come for two consecutive days, it would be sufficient that one of them be absent in order the organization fails. That's the negative point of your proposition.

Besides, despite the fact you're right concerning the injustice created by the actual table league, we have not the time to recreate a new organization in order to delete the error of the 2nd phase.

So the final will not be in Gurubashi arena, but the tournament begins well from the 26th, with the same system of matchs that the one described in the first page of this topic.

However, I'd like you know we really took account of your advices and that we're glad you had brought attention to our topic (it's not everyone who takes the trouble to bring constructive arguments). So the next time we'll try to organize a tournament, we will keep in mind what you said.

s/o to this dude doing amazing work to this, tbh i might make an account on EU and play js bc of the effort u put into this

Users who are viewing this thread