AMA

How was China? (a little detail would be appreciated)
Still live here. I was literally like a baby when I first arrived in 2014, spoke no Chinese and the average local can't speak any English. Learned some place names quickly and took taxis and public transportation. Since then, life has gotten more and more normal and at least somewhat similar to life back home, as far as daily routines like driving to work, paying bills, etc etc. Also run a side business with my wife, so life is actually too busy.

China has a bunch of contrasts. Modern vs backwards/countryside. Like you'll see dirt poor farmers with donkeys pulling wagons of fruit around to sell in the city center, right next to expensive cars.

Living where I live as a foreigner (not one of the few biggest cities that attract more of us) is kind of like being a minor celebrity. Lots of stares and people saying 'foreigner!' in their language, but they're just curious, don't mean to be rude about it.

If you're curious about anything in particular, go ahead and ask, I'll be happy to answer.
[doublepost=1525473112,1525472878][/doublepost]
Ofc... Wasn't the real reason that even the white ugly men are very attractive to Chinese women in China?
Why would ugly men be attractive to women anywhere? I'm straight and so don't really feel qualified to comment on men, but an ugly woman is an ugly woman regardless of her ethnicity.

Edit: Wanted to add a bit. Being a foreigner definitely gives an advantage in meeting some women (those who would be interested in being with a foreigner in the first place), but a dude who looks especially fugly or has a terrible personality is going to have difficulty getting past that step, same as anywhere else.

Last edited:
Do you think Maineack was the best warlock of the 4 in the WT vs TC premade?

There's no denying that you revolutionized the affliction warlock and premade meta in late cata. But if this was recognized earlier and more players capable of doing high damage output had played it (like Yowza), do you think you would have been viewed as just another one of the better warlocks as opposed to being the face of the class for the Cataclysm expansion?

is Honeycrisp still your favorite apple?
Honeycrisp is great, but I don't even know the English name of my favorite apple here. Roughly the same as Honeycrisp, anyway. Funnily enough, the imported apples are all barely-edible Granny Smith and Red Delicious apples. Don't want any of that.
[doublepost=1525552832,1525552793][/doublepost]
what city do u live in?
Shenyang
[doublepost=1525553680][/doublepost]
Do you think Maineack was the best warlock of the 4 in the WT vs TC premade?

There's no denying that you revolutionized the affliction warlock and premade meta in late cata. But if this was recognized earlier and more players capable of doing high damage output had played it (like Yowza), do you think you would have been viewed as just another one of the better warlocks as opposed to being the face of the class for the Cataclysm expansion?
Regarding the WT vs TC premade, I'm not so sure. The alliance locks had an advantage in terms of racial resistances (they had worgens with shadow resist, we had no undead), so their total damage had a higher baseline. All the locks fulfilled the same role sitting in mid and did roughly similar damage just dotting shit. I'd contest that any competent player could be put in there and do about as well.

Regarding the second question, yea, definitely. I actually played lock more conservatively at first in 19s, then took a temporary break and played 70 lock for some months, being told to just go hard by my guildmates. It wasn't until I went back on my 19 that I updated my gear for doing damage and went hard. Any competent player could have done it, but being a member of the top guild at the time definitely helped change peoples' minds. A random unguilded lock in that position, despite playing for dps etc, likely wouldn't have the same effect on the meta.
[doublepost=1525553710][/doublepost]
Are you a warlock irl
I wish. Death scares me.

Last edited:
i like u dori, are these feeling mutual? :)

are you glad you moved to china? i've been a few times and have pretty good mandarin and have thought about living there for a few years right out of college.

are you glad you moved to china? i've been a few times and have pretty good mandarin and have thought about living there for a few years right out of college.
Yea, no regrets at all. Love the bustling atmosphere and general high level of activity, the sights, sounds, and smells, most of all on summer evenings. So different than suburban America. Not to mention the food, though there's definitely foods I miss back home too. Definitely recommend giving it a try if you have no clear direction to go in otherwise.

What do you miss most about living in the US? As it's sometimes referred to as the Detroit of China, does your city have any really scary ghettos like its US counterpart? Is the smog where you are as bad as most people have heard about; is it better or worse than described?

What do you miss most about living in the US? As it's sometimes referred to as the Detroit of China, does your city have any really scary ghettos like its US counterpart? Is the smog where you are as bad as most people have heard about; is it better or worse than described?
I miss some foods the most, especially Mexican food. I've got a list sitting in my phone of all the things I want to eat during the next visit back to the US. Whenever something comes to mind, I add it.

The city where I live is referred to as the Detroit of China in the sense that it was a former industrial powerhouse that stagnated while other cities bypassed it. There are poor areas, but they are just that - poor. No guns or drugs. I'd feel safe walking around at night anywhere in the city.

There's a handful of days every winter where the smog is bad, but other than that, I don't really notice it much. Maybe I just mix it up with cloudy weather? Anyway, breathing in the more polluted air on a daily basis is probably the biggest drawback to living here. I've got two air purifiers running in my home at all times during the colder months.

Which guild did you enjoy being a part of more? <Masta Ballerz> or pizza's guild?

Which guild did you enjoy being a part of more? <Masta Ballerz> or pizza's guild?
<Masta Ballerz> was a flash in the pan. I had played with and against most of those guys for years in the 39s bracket, but that guild was really too short-lived to compare it to the years I spent active in WT/SR. I do think we introduced important aspects to the 19s bracket that weren't really capitalized on before, the main thing being "GO LEFT" at the start, and expanding that to mid control. For whatever reason, Cata 19s up to that point featured a continuation of the older BC/WotLK meta that had seen teams go with the flag carrier etc, not fully engaging in mid at the start, which made no sense due to the much higher burst potential and higher damage in general. Out of my best times in WoW, two stand out. First is playing in 39s premades during BC, and the second is playing pug matches with my guildmates in WT/SR, hanging out in skype and farming the shit out of midfields and graveyards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread