Addon to locate a friend?

thubble

Legend
When I want to do things with another f2p friend we always have to bug a p2p person to make a party for us so that I can see a dot on my map to represent my friends location. I would like to have an addon just so that I can see his location without having to form a party. Anyone have a recommendation for the best addon that can just give me this functionality?

Set them as your focus target, done by typing /focus, and then they will appear as a blip on your minimap if you have focus enabled in your tracking (the magnifying glass icon on your minimap). Keep in mind if you stray too far apart he will be cleared from your focus and you will have to reset him as your focus. You can also clear your focus target by typing /clearfocus.

When I want to do things with another f2p friend we always have to bug a p2p person to make a party for us so that I can see a dot on my map to represent my friends location. I would like to have an addon just so that I can see his location without having to form a party. Anyone have a recommendation for the best addon that can just give me this functionality?

huh...that'd be a great addition to our current f2p addon.

as far as the mini-map goes...you can focus your friend and that'll put a dot on the mini map for you.

b'ah...shft beat me to it...he's so shfty

Thank you for responding. That suggestion was somewhat helpful but, what I really wanted to use this for is to find my friend when we are aways apart.The /target command only seems to work when you are quite close, (maybe 50 yards ?). The only other thing I can think of is to enter our coordinates into the chat, but I was really hoping there would be some way for him to show up on the map because that would be so much easier.
I wonder if it is even possible for such an addon to be made, because if it is then I would think that someone would have done it?

huh...that'd be a great addition to our current f2p addon.

Definitely don't want the location of every AP horde member making a rainbow across my minimap in org thanks :p

I know addons can ping the map (at least they could in the past ); it's a possibility that someone might be able to create an addon that sends a coordinate message to others on your friends list running the addon which would then ping the map with their location. Note that it is also possible to ping the whole map not just the minimap.

Thinking about this, you could have such an addon with a button on your world map which then would request the location from your friend and then ping the map for you. Don't get me wrong i'm no addon programmer but it seems like a possibility, but i don't know who would make such an addon

Definitely don't want the location of every AP horde member making a rainbow across my minimap in org thanks :p

right...but i still like the OP's idea. its easy for you 'cause you know the game inside and out. for someone who gets lost easy, wow can be tough. the problem with the /focus is that you have to not only know where the other person is, but be really close to them. the idea of the dot on the map is so that you can head that direction when you're lost.

not that i have a clue how to do it...but if the addon could do it for alternate channels...to just show the location of others in that specific channel...that would be waay cool.

There's probably a feature in tomtom that lets you do something like this, haven't tested it but it seems reasonable to assume :)

Well the rainbow was the symbol used by GREENpeace ;), but then the alliance side will be more red, white and blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it certainly wouldn't be good if half the people on a server dotting you're map all over, but just as when you're in a party that doesn't happen, nor would it happen with this- no one would show up who you didn't manually choose to have this enabled for- opt in only.
As for your mention of tomtom, I've never head of this addon so I researched it, but from what I see I can't see any indication that it has any feature like this. Gave me inspiration though, so now I'm gonna start browsing through the co-ordinate/map addons out there, a pretty big number, and I'll report back here if I find one that can do something like this.

Why not just meet at a certain location when you want to do things together? Say... Set your hearths in the same place? :eek: or just somewhere like, if you're alliance, goldshire.

it would be pretty awesome to be able to have an addon to find your friends on your map ;)

Yea, it would be awesome :) :) What you said is what we do when we first begin a session, but we need something more on the fly that we can use when we're exploring around and sometimes get temporarily separated.

Users who are viewing this thread