EU+US 99 Demon Hunter

It took us a while to do. If i recall correctly we didnt get exp from some of the power bosses we were just in the area while others killed. And for the first kill 15 quest just follow the npc demon hunter around and hit the mobs hes killing when they are under 10% gives less exp than imps.
Or kill 15 Imps instead, they give hardly any XP but have a long respawn timer.

imps give 248 exp if you follow the demon hunter npcs around and last hit their targets u get as little as 10exp depending on the mobs remaining hp. 15 imps is 3720 exp u can easily get that under 500 by following the npcs

I've tried 5 times for an alliance DH and the closest I've come was roughly 10k xp over 100 once I finally unlocked the XP-off NPC. I have even created a test DH to see if there are some new ways to minimize xp gains and here are some tips that I have found.

As other people have said, kill imps over other mobs at the beginning but if possible run the quest chain with a buddy. Just body pull the mobs and DO NOT TOUCH THEM (If touch them someone on the outside joins in on your pull, you gain unwanted xp). Once you have died, stay dead and don't release until your partner has killed all necessary mobs. Do this for EVERY quest you don't need to be alive for and requires killing. There are some elites in the quests that you just need their loot, so try your best and die for these as well (its harder than it looks since NPCs helping you and other people questing may take agro from you in your attempt to die).

As I'm sure most of you know, you need to be alive for the quests that require you to "take their power". For these, leave group and do solo. If your grouped, you will gain an additional "group xp" which is unwanted. Essentially for any kill quests you must be alive for, do outside of a group.

As a previous stated in Alosis's post:

... However to my surprise I found out that you actually do not need to kill Crusher or Sledge. You don't even need to tag them. Simply teleport into the room and stand back/around the room and wait for someone else to kill them. As long as you're in the room you receive their power and complete the quest. This saved over 14k xp from a previous run, which was enough to keep me 99.

Just sit there and let someone else kill them and you will get credit with 0 xp gained for the kills. I am 100% sure of this for this quest.

So using this trick found by Alosis, I decided to try this for the other "gain powers from" quests and I found this MAY actually work for other quests INSIDE THE BLACK TEMPLE. On my test DH, I tried this trick on the beginning quests while your still in the outside zone and had no luck. I was unlucky enough to not only NOT get credit for the kill, but gained exp as well(this will elude to my theory later of gaining xp by just taking damage). I tried again with the quests inside the Black Temple and was actually able to get credit for the power and no xp (I think) on the quest "Forged in Fire". However, when trying again on another DH, I got credit for kill/power WITHOUT TOUCHING him by merely being near him when he died but I gained XP :(. My theory (while untested) is I took damage from him, thus giving me XP? This gives me hope that it's possible though.

Also as Alosis stated:
I also was able to skip the Vault of Ice and Vault of Mirrors discovery xp (something Aelobin eluded to) as you can be dead and have your runner in group complete the objectives there. I'm pretty sure there is at least 1 more discovery xp that could probably be skipped, maybe 2.

You can save yourself some discovery XP by doing this. I think its about ~1200 xp which doesn't sound like much, but it adds up eventually.

The reason why I post this is hopefully people can take this, test some more to hopefully confirm questing theories/tactics and help build on what other people have found. This process of a 99 Ally DH, while proven possible, appears to be very difficult. It seems to me you need a near flawless run or extreme luck to pull this off.

Thanks and good luck. If I happen to get one, I'll update unless someone doesn't beat me too it.

Edit: Additionally, try to do it in one continuous run. If you log, you'll gain some "rested" experience from kills which again...adds up.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure if this has been mentioned, but you can also save quite a bit of xp during Their Numbers Are Legion. You don't actually have to kill anything. Just resurrect Demon Hunters, click crystals and other interactables and your progress bar will slowly fill itself to 100%.

Also, no matter which spec you ultimately choose, playing as Havoc makes things considerably easier, because as Vengeance, many of your abilities deal cleave damage, tagging mobs unnecessarily.

It may be a good idea to write a guide to completing the DH starting zone with minimal experience gained, so anyone who wants to do this has a good chance of actually getting a 99 DH.

Users who are viewing this thread