83 Mage

a mage over 80 just sounds like poop. CoF isnt worth it

stay 80 and abuse the stat scaling

I gain 40000 HP, 25000 mana, 2% Crit, 1600 Spell Power, 9 Mastery rating (+22.5% increased damage vs frozen targets), a 3% hit differential vs 80s, 3 extra arcane resistance, Ring of Frost, Frostfire Orb, 3 talent points, higher base damage from spells.

I lose about 9% Haste, and 29% Resil. That 29% resil is easily negated by a 100% higher health pool.

Where am I going wrong?

I lose about 9% Haste, and 29% Resil. That 29% resil is easily negated by a 100% higher health pool.

Where am I going wrong?

Wow, that does not match up at all with the numbers I got when deciding between an 80 and 83 shammy (the jury's still out on that one). I'm looking at an across-the-board 56% drop in secondary stats at 83 compared to 80, including haste, mastery and resilience. I think that's where one of us is going wrong. From where did you get the 9% haste loss and 29% resil loss?

Nirise, are you using the same gear at 84/83 as you would be at 80? I chose to use all ilevel 333 Cata gear.

Ah, good point. All ilevel 333 restores about 26% of those stats across the board for me, so I'm looking at an overall 30% drop in secondary stats. If you optimized for haste and resil, I can see how you got those numbers.

A PVE geared Mage with 0 resil and half the health? That's a joke right?

since when does health matter when you are a good mage and/or you have healers? same for resil

11 more mastery and the boatloads of crit/haste it has over yours is more than enough

that 40k extra health is still going to disappear just as fast when youre targeted. and you will be targeted more once people catch on youre above 80

80 frost mage can easily get over 30 mastery, which ends up being 75% more damage to frozen targets. They can also maintain their crit cap, and get over 20% haste as well as 26-30% DR from resil.

Show me a Mage with 30% DR from resil, 20% Haste, 30 Mastery, 4k SP, and 27%+ Crit. I just don't see what you are saying adding up. I've seen PVE geared Mages exceed that 83 chardev in Crit, Haste, Mastery. I've seen PVP geared ones exceed in Resil, Crit, and Haste. Both kinds are at least 1300 SP short.

Heals don't help when you get globaled.

if youre playing right and have cds up you wont get globaled, youll do the globalling

and the 40k hp buffer sounds nice on paper, but there is a reason everyone doesnt roll 83/84 and one of those reasons is they really dont gain that much survivability from the hp alone, especially if solo queing

if you wanna do it, go for it but i would keep a mage 80

I do plan on playing with a healer, if not two. Ice Barrier will absorb 1600+ more damage, Mana Shield and Mage Ward will both absorb 1150 more damage. Larger spell damage associated with higher level, and 1300 more SP

also longer cast times, less 2ndary stats. if the extra talents abilities sp and base damage is what you want, then thats your answer

Users who are viewing this thread