80 best in slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I'm half done. Got some more chardevs in the works, will add them when I've done them

I have a few for you, namely Rogues (all specs) and retribution paladins, both for PvE.

For the rogues, it was my original intention to make two "BiS" sets with chardev, one cataclysm blue-heavy and the other wotlk-heavy, to illustrate the differences. However, since I attempted that, in the case of a leather-wearing agility user, I've found that the cataclysm gear is simply terrible. In almost all slots you lose agility, and since for pve, rogue specs do not need mastery (the assassination chardev is different because of this) as much as say...an arcane mage, I found myself ignoring cataclysm gear almost entirely, sans mainhand/offhand (even the LK25hc xbow is better than any cataclysm alternative). With this in mind, all specs use 5/5 t10 heroic (I may update the chardevs in future if I math it that one offset is better, since it probably is), and next to no cata gear.

So here are the chardevs:

Combat:
chardev 9
Combat favours haste above all, although it's worth noting that you're extremely likely to be energy-capping with the amount of haste listed here (definitely with adrenaline rush up), so you may end up swapping some of the haste for mastery. The set is well above spell hitcap, which all-but removes the value of the stat completely.

Subtlety:
chardev 9

Similarly to combat, you'll likely find yourself energy capping with this set, although it isn't as likely. Subtlety uses energy well, and you'll have a very fluid rotation with high haste, and be able to keep the three required buffs rolling at all times (SnD, recup, Rupture)

Assassination:
chardev 9

Assassination is slightly different to the two previous chardevs. it uses more cataclysm gear, simply because agility isn't worth anywhere near as much as it is in the other specs (barely 30% more than hit to 8% infact). Because of this, I opted to swap the t10 chest for the cataclysm offset one, because you gain a large amount of mastery, which is by far assassination's best secondary stat (at least til I get around to running some stat comparisons in simulationcraft). Similarly with the offset ring.

In all three sets I have used the cataclysm weapons, as it would be silly not to. Weapon dps (particularly main hand dps) is the strongest stat for rogues by a very, very wide margin. As such, you want to get the weapon with the highest ilevel you can, which means the 308 cataclysm ones (not to mention you get landslide vs berserking, which is a 600 AP gain)

Now, on to the next class :D

Retribution:
I've made 3 BiS sets for retribution, and I plan to reduce this, once I've made some more simcraft tests. These three are as follows:

Mastery heavy (4pc t10): chardev 9

Fairly standard, capping hit & expertise first, then going mastery>crit=haste for weights.

Haste softcap (4pc t10): chardev 9

Given the amount of haste that a level 80 character can get, it's viable to try and achieve the 3sec haste cooldown, which involves a calculator: Ret Paladin 4.0.1 Haste Softcap Calculator. My ms is 31, so the cap was 931 haste, which I have achieved in this set. However, it costs you 4 mastery points (not rating) to do it, which actually ends up in slightly less dps (according to simcraft)

Mastery heavy (2pc t10 only): chardev 9

In this set, I swapped two items from the set out. The shoulders and legs, since the 277 offset legs are really well itemised, and the 308 hit/mastery shoulders are likewise. The question however, is whether the gain in mastery/str worth the loss of 10% judgement/seal damage. In my simcrafts, the combination of these add up to around 18% of my total damage, which means the set bonus is a 1.8% increase in damage.

Trinkets can be switched around, I haven't ever had access to the StS (let alone the heroic version) or DBW/DC, but I found that the porcelain crab (my current 2nd trinket in ret) has a 105sec internal cooldown, and a 20% uptime. This means it is worth 918/5 = 183.6 mastery (the proc) + 80 mastery from passive, which is 263.6 mastery. I'll perform similar calculations for the other trinkets once I can get access to either them or info on their internal cooldowns.

Shadowmourne has special mention for retribution, because a 3.8 speed weapon is much better than a 3.6 speed weapon, simply because of seal damage (ppm, so higher % chance to proc per swing with SM). The weapon damage is a minus, however the proc is also strong for retribution (again, seals proc it faster), which is likely to push the value of it up. I do not know if the chaos bane str proc is still cancelable, if so it's likely to increase the dps value of the weapon.

Stay tuned for yet more chardevs and theory :D

splosion would u try simming this (chardev 9). curious to see how it stacks up since mastery seems to be far and away the best stat. hand of light accounts for 25+% of my damage on dummies and i dont have all the gear on that prof (only 35.51 mastery atm)
judge/seal just seems to be very weak imo

I've run some simcrafts using the sets I posted, and the set falkor linked also.

Here are the results:

4pc mastery heavy: 16092 dps
4pc haste softcap: 16029.3 dps
2pc mastery heavy: 16175.3 dps
falkor's cata mastery: 14156.2 dps

There are basically a couple of things to take from this (I haven't made a haste softcap 2pc set, so there's still results for that needed). Mastery is nice, but having the meta gem (at minimum) is stronger. Similarly, assuming simcraft is modeling the 2pc correctly. The difference between 2pc (helm + chest), and 3 offset pieces vs 4set (helm, chest, legs, gloves) isn't much at all, and given the RNG-ness of retribution, could be easily lost into the sea of RNG.

What's interesting is the haste profile. The difference between it and the mastery profile (remember both use the same gear, it's simply differences in reforging) is 4 mastery vs around 8% haste, but that 8% gives a 3sec cd crusader strike. I'm going to say that, despite what simcraft says, these profiles come down to a matter of personal preference, a 3sec cd makes the rotation much smoother.

Unfortunately, the mastery heavy set that falkor linked is somewhat a long way behind, presumably because of the loss of the 2pc (5% damage), meta (6% crit damage), plus a lot of strength from using non-300 ilevel pieces.

I'll save the results, so if anyone wishes to analyze them, I can upload them somewhere.

mastery->haste for ret.

It's just barely, given that haste is plentiful at 80.

Unfortunately, the mastery heavy set that falkor linked is somewhat a long way behind, presumably because of the loss of the 2pc (5% damage), meta (6% crit damage), plus a lot of strength from using non-300 ilevel pieces.

even bigger than that is probably the lack of exp cap (or even being close). when i was on the 60 dummy i was getting 14-16k, when i went to the 80 dummy i was 9-10k...so those dodges seem to add up to a lot.

even bigger than that is probably the lack of exp cap (or even being close). when i was on the 60 dummy i was getting 14-16k, when i went to the 80 dummy i was 9-10k...so those dodges seem to add up to a lot.

True, however it's quite easy to fix. the expertise cap for retribution at 80 is 16 (you get 10 for free from a glyph), so it should be somewhat easy to obtain, given you don't actually lose any mastery for it. You do have a point though, 10 expertise less than the cap is quite substantial.

I'd like to make a small suggestion to all the healing classes arena / battlegrounds wise.

I noticed when using Val'anyr that the buff gained Blessing of Ancient Kings is a player buff and not a buff on the weapon itself, which means that you keep it even after switching your weapon.

This said i did several tries, when i had the buff procc i just quickly switched mace with a macro and kept to power Protection of Ancient Kings.

I know that several classes might not need this, but as a holy paladin, having the chance to stack up the mastery effect ( mine is currently 12.8 k with 45 % damage reduction ) and the shield buff is quite a great upgrade, shamans do have an advantage against, let's say mages since earth shield ticks for 18 k and pretty much makes surviving a deep freeze a lot easier, wile a holy paladin found out of cd's into a deep freeze is most likely a dead paladin, i would dare to say that val'anyr can give every class a personal earth shield making it easier to survive and heal with just a quick macro to swap weapons once the shield procc, and just switching back after 45 seconds which is the internal cooldown.

Very little additional work for a very good buff.

Hope it helps !

- Nesyla

Hrm. Ok, here's my view on that. When you swap a weapon, you icur a GCD. so you've lost 1.5sec to 0 healing. To get the proc you have to cast several times with the weapon equipped, each heal loses 500sp (approximately) on it. You also drop the icd of power torrent, which is another 500 SP. Our mastery has no real effect on the val'anyr proc (ours is capped by max health, the val'anyr proc is capped at 20k, and they're separate). So in all effects, you lose 3 things.

A gcd, 500 static SP and a 500 int proc, to gain a small absorb buff (the personal buff isn't an absorb, merely showing you can stack it on players). Simply put, Val'anyr is now a vanity item, given that Torturer's mercy is available. It's nice to have (I don't plan on stopping my farm for it), but just not useful anymore, sorry.

Hrm. Ok, here's my view on that. When you swap a weapon, you icur a GCD. so you've lost 1.5sec to 0 healing. To get the proc you have to cast several times with the weapon equipped, each heal loses 500sp (approximately) on it. You also drop the icd of power torrent, which is another 500 SP. Our mastery has no real effect on the val'anyr proc (ours is capped by max health, the val'anyr proc is capped at 20k, and they're separate). So in all effects, you lose 3 things.

A gcd, 500 static SP and a 500 int proc, to gain a small absorb buff (the personal buff isn't an absorb, merely showing you can stack it on players). Simply put, Val'anyr is now a vanity item, given that Torturer's mercy is available. It's nice to have (I don't plan on stopping my farm for it), but just not useful anymore, sorry.

I just thought i'd share what i found to be a great buff, i will probably not be using val'anyr the whole time, but i will defenetly use it in some situations.

Blank example, both you and your 2's partner are about to go out, you are behind a pillar, get him to mount up, use val'anyr, pump the shield up and have him avoid some damage :p !
So you'd rather start the ICD on your cata weapon enchant for a 20k absorb lasting 8 secs? Would the buff even last long enough for a ret paladin to get in range of the enemy?

What happens if you get CC'ed whilst it's equipped? You then have to choose between equipping it (wasting a GCD you could have used for healing) or heal for less.

As much as you'd like it to be viable, it really isn't.

Blank example, both you and your 2's partner are about to go out, you are behind a pillar, get him to mount up, use val'anyr, pump the shield up and have him avoid some damage :p !

and if val'anyr doesn't proc? You just lost the icd of power torrent, and the base heals are lower, but around 15%. Good day :p

So you'd rather start the ICD on your cata weapon enchant for a 20k absorb lasting 8 secs? Would the buff even last long enough for a ret paladin to get in range of the enemy?

What happens if you get CC'ed whilst it's equipped? You then have to choose between equipping it (wasting a GCD you could have used for healing) or heal for less.

As much as you'd like it to be viable, it really isn't.

Let me re-say it.

You use val'anyr, pump up the shield on your partner, and have him go in, wile your behind him changing your weapon with a holy shock ready. Val'anyr shield does take damage before illuminated healing, hence even just a single hit absorbed is an advantage wile you lost nothing.

and if val'anyr doesn't proc? You just lost the icd of power torrent, and the base heals are lower, but around 15%. Good day :p

Out of 5 casts it proocs >.0 which is more or less what is needed to get illuminated healing up to full.

Let me re-say it.

You use val'anyr, pump up the shield on your partner, and have him go in, wile your behind him changing your weapon with a holy shock ready. Val'anyr shield does take damage before illuminated healing, hence even just a single hit absorbed is an advantage wile you lost nothing.
Shield drops before that happens, you either use it the whole time or you don't (300k healing to cap the val'anyr shield, gonna do that in 5 casts?

Out of 5 casts it proocs >.0 which is more or less what is needed to get illuminated healing up to full.

So you start with it equipped or, then get sapped? nice trying to switch whilst being nuked

Shield drops before that happens, you either use it the whole time or you don't (300k healing to cap the val'anyr shield, gonna do that in 5 casts?

So you start with it equipped or, then get sapped? nice trying to switch whilst being nuked

Never said you had to pump it all ! :p

However, i suggested it and people who are lucky enought to have val'anyr will try and see if they have any use of it, there is no need to argue ever on this.

300k healing to cap the val'anyr shield, gonna do that in 5 casts?
5 casts to get the proc and then 134k healing (20/0.15) needed to cap the 20k shield (which is about 4 heals at ~35k each). That's 9 heals you need to cast after you both arrive behind the pillar.

Now lets pretend that you're GCD capped and somehow casting 1 heal per second. That's 9 seconds it takes you to ramp up the buff. So if your partner even manages to reach the enemy in the 8 second buff duration, that means they could quite easily reach you during your preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread