70-79 70 Twink Paladin PvP Guide [MoP]

Basically i have to go offensively when the target hasn't got any shield, i prepared i WA for the purpose.
Just logged and i got 11% pvp power down from 24%, is still worth gemming pure pvp power?

is still worth gemming pure pvp power?

Not entirely pure PvP Power, what I've seen effective now are hybrids. Having any average of about 10-12% Power before gemming some more primary statistics. Again I'm not positive about it, I went from a pure power build to a hybrid, then trying full strength next to see the differences in damage ( Note, for battlegrounds in particular. )

With a Holy Paladin, what's the best thing to Gem for? I'm leveling one right now and stocking up on Gems via transmutes/crafts on my main. I've got like 13 PvP Power ones from a 70 project a while back and am working on any others.

In terms of Holy healing/bit of damage (sort of an all-round set) what would you recommend gemming for? I like to think of myself as a fairly good player, not to brag in any way, and I'm not new to the class, so I don't feel I need to stack the Resil/Stam if there is an alternative in Crit/Int/Power that would give me a better overall output, if you know what I mean.

Also I've heard some people say Stamina is better for survivability at 70 now, but Resilience is still better for Priest at least... If I was to put together an FC set should I stack Resilience or Stamina?

Sorry if this post doesn't make too much sense, it's very late where I am. I'm also terrible at all the theorycraft needed for working out stat priorities and stuff, so excuse the massive question post.

With a Holy Paladin, what's the best thing to Gem for? I'm leveling one right now and stocking up on Gems via transmutes/crafts on my main. I've got like 13 PvP Power ones from a 70 project a while back and am working on any others.

In terms of Holy healing/bit of damage (sort of an all-round set) what would you recommend gemming for? I like to think of myself as a fairly good player, not to brag in any way, and I'm not new to the class, so I don't feel I need to stack the Resil/Stam if there is an alternative in Crit/Int/Power that would give me a better overall output, if you know what I mean.

Also I've heard some people say Stamina is better for survivability at 70 now, but Resilience is still better for Priest at least... If I was to put together an FC set should I stack Resilience or Stamina?

Sorry if this post doesn't make too much sense, it's very late where I am. I'm also terrible at all the theorycraft needed for working out stat priorities and stuff, so excuse the massive question post.

I've only played a handful of games as Holy in 5.3. Denounce does a fair bit of damage on it's own without any gemming or tinker support. ( If you want to be more offensive, there's some glyphs worth your while. )

Glyph of Harsh Words - Item - World of Warcraft ( Should you prefer something besides Eternal Flame. )
Glyph of Holy Shock - Item - World of Warcraft ( Holy shock tends to heal you to full most of the time, more or less with this glyph on as well. Would gem some power if using this. )
Glyph of Denounce - Item - World of Warcraft ( Faster denounces, nom nom. )

Thing is, in terms of output for a Holy Paladin our level, we don't need any modifiers or tweaks done to our healing. Sure perhaps one or two PvP Power gems might serve as assurance, but point remains. I'd still suggest dedicating most of your gem sockets to survivability, 50% resilience seems to be the soft cap for now, from then on Stamina.

As for the other secondary statistic gems you mentioned, it's most likely not worth the hassle, unless you plan to arena 2/3 of the time. BGs will ruin your secondary scaling. ( Can also make two sets for both scenarios. )

Have you updated this since 5.3? Just wondering, I've looked at the chardevs and most of them still have the pure res and such

Just started editing them this weekend actually, been preoccupied.

Added a 7th section, simple gearing for anyone going for the "TL;DR" or easy to obtain items. Chardevs for other sections updated as well.

Feel free to post in thread should any questions come up.

4 AM edits, I'm terrible at timing. :|

Is it worth gemming pvp power as a prot pally? also are these builds up-to-date? and what does more damage stacking pvp power or strength?

Is it worth gemming pvp power as a prot pally? also are these builds up-to-date? and what does more damage stacking pvp power or strength?

Yeah, these are up to date with 5.3

Gem a hybrid, you want a certain amount of AP ( What I tend to go for is 1.7-8k ) before gemming the rest into PvP Power. Shouldn't take you too many gems in particular, given you'll want to use three reds already for Chaotic meta gem.

Yo, just wondering if your going to be stacking crit/haste gems in 5.4?

If not what you planning on gemming & why?

I like speaking / typing with certainty, especially when it comes to giving out information people will use for their benefit. I'd rather wait till patch lands to make a thorough assessment of changes, and work from there. Check back on the guide, I'll post again once it's updated.

To anyone reading this guide, I do apologize for my lack on consistency in terms of updates. However should you have any questions, feel free to post here and I'll be more than happy to respond.

there are some others weapon better than this? Nifflevar Bearded Axe??

Nawp, that's pretty much BiS unless you're going to more socket slots, which would be..

Blackout Truncheon - Item - World of Warcraft

Yo, just wondering if your going to be stacking crit/haste gems in 5.4?

If not what you planning on gemming & why?

Thus far, most Protection Paladins ( with the occasional Ret if they want to sacrifice their stam stacking ) are going full fledged critical strike, given secondary statistic gems are "through the roof". I've yet to find out if blizzard intentionally changed those gems, or whatever the case might be.

So far I've loved my holy spec with either crit or haste, ( Haste more so ), my HS goes down drastically with all the haste gems, but I'd imagine that would be more effective toward a PvE scenario over PvP; in which case I do believe stam is still the way to go.

I'll start off by saying that I'm glad to find a post about level 70 Protection PvP that someone has obviously put a lot of time and thought into. I have recently returned to WoW after a lengthy absence, approximately a year, and after getting to the level cap and finding myself bored with the state of the game I've decided to give twinking a go again to see if it can keep me interested. I've played multiple twinks in various brackets and at different times in WoW's life cycle so it's not something I'm unfamiliar with. While doing some research I've found out that Protection is a fairly mean build to run at 70 and so I've decided to give it a shot.

I've read over your guide and I just had a couple questions.

1.) It says the guide is for 5.3 in the title and in the OP. Is the guide still on 5.3 or has 5.4 not made any sort of significant changes since the guide was written/updated?
2.) I've also read that PvP Power was nerfed at some point and was curious if the strategy you're suggesting in your chardev profiles, gemming nearly full PvP Power, is still the way to go.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give on my questions, I'm looking forward to seeing what the build is capable of!

1.) It says the guide is for 5.3 in the title and in the OP. Is the guide still on 5.3 or has 5.4 not made any sort of significant changes since the guide was written/updated?

Yeah, I actually mentioned this a post or two ago about not being able to update the guide as of late. I've got some time coming up soon so that might just change.

5.4 has brought some pretty notable changes, PvP Power isn't particularly the way to go for a 70 given how little it scales ( And it doesn't count as say, a 20 crit / 40 crit gem, it'll get cut in half instead of being "buffed" up. ) I've a friend whom is 70 testing full crit for me, and thus far it seems to be the most favourable gem choice.

2.) I've also read that PvP Power was nerfed at some point and was curious if the strategy you're suggesting in your chardev profiles, gemming nearly full PvP Power, is still the way to go.

From what I noticed, least in the Battleground perspective. Is that critical strike stacking just slightly superior to PvP Power; I'd regem power for a more reliable amount of base damage if I could afford it! But most protection paladins seem to favour the gamble with crit, albeit a bit less damage than power, but more consistent crits.

To put it simply
Critical Strike stacking pally > Favours the chance to crit over improved base damage from their abilities
PvP Power stacking pally > Favours improved base damage over a chance to crit

Although, if you plan on participating in anything else besides BGs ( in which gems won't scale up in ). Crit is the best way to go, Power won't cut it.

Critical Strike stacking pally > Favours the chance to crit over improved base damage from their abilities
PvP Power stacking pally > Favours improved base damage over a chance to crit[/I]

Although, if you plan on participating in anything else besides BGs ( in which gems won't scale up in ). Crit is the best way to go, Power won't cut it.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the reply! I have been working with a couple friends to try and figure out how this all works and one of them echo'd your sentiments about PvP power. I just wanted to double check his information before I started committing a bunch of money and time into gems and stuff.

nice guide, very usefull, but wouldnt haste be good? (i know for one that my main protadin is beast with haste, but thats PvE)

so how is haste for protadins on 70 (both in PvE/PvP?)

nice guide, very usefull, but wouldnt haste be good? (i know for one that my main protadin is beast with haste, but thats PvE)

so how is haste for protadins on 70 (both in PvE/PvP?)

I'm happy that it's of some use.

As for the haste for Protection, I personally haven't tried it as of yet. But feel as if one would have to sacrifice a lot of gem sockets for minimal reduction to the CDs of AS, CS, HW, Judge, and HoW. Feel free to try if and let me know how it goes for you, and how far you can bring the CDs down of those abilities; I wager not much though. ( I'm too poor to try! >.> )

Haste for the other two specializations are quite nice, though. In particular for Retribution given there's only a few abilities you can depend on for damage.

----

Chardevs are all up to date, along with some other minor touches. Contemplating putting up some chardevs for those above 70 depending on demand; however torn given re-rolling to 71+ seems common and don't want to particular support those groups of people.

Opinions please!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread