29 Prot FC Warrior

i'm trying to figure out the best gear and spec for a 29 prot FC warrior for premade play.

the main thing i want to focus on is the spec. i've been exploring with 1/14/5 and 6/14/0. i figure that blood craze and piercing howl will be good if i'm under a lot of duress, since if i take a bunch of criticals over a period of 30 seconds i'll have regenerated practically 30% of my own health. but i'm not sure if that's the best premade spec. 0/0/20 is the spec i had in mind if i'm going deep into prot rather than fury.

projected gear list:

frostreaver crown

pendant of the agate shield/river pride choker (depending on situation)

sparkleshell mantle OR 11 stam green mail shoulders

8 stam cape OR tigerstrike [+70 armor]

raptor hunter tunic [+150 hp]

8 stamina green mail bracers [+9 stamina]

razzeric's racing grips [+15 strength?] OR 7/7 of the bear mail green gloves [+15 agility?]

stonefist girdle OR mail combat belt

9/9 phalanx leggings of the bear [+32 armor]

AB boots [+7 stamina]

deadman's hand

charged gear of stamina

AGM/AGM (yeah right)

weapon: windstorm hammer [lifestealing]

shield: forcestone buckler OR heart of agamaggan OR marbled buckler [+18 stamina]

weapon: windstorm hammer [crusader]

shield: marbled buckler [+18 stamina]

These are the fixes Id take.

Rapt0R said:
These are the fixes Id take.

interesting...so crusader is better because the extra strength will do more for blocking, and the LS heals won't do too much? makes sense, especially when LS heals for only 30 and i'll assumably be taking/receiving much higher numbers than that.

i was thinking marbled buckler to be an outside shot, but maybe it's better than i thought.

any thoughts about what i should choose with the back/gloves/belt/shoulder?

I'd just like to make a small note about armor patches on pants. Rugged works on Phalanx leggings for 40 armor.

Sylvatic said:
I'd just like to make a small note about armor patches on pants. Rugged works on Phalanx leggings for 40 armor.

i would assume since they require level 29 and they are green, then they are level 34, thus not allowing them to have rugged armor.

are you sure it works on Phalanx leggings?

I'm glad to see someone else consider the fc fury warrior spec. I'm very interested in how successful you'll be so make sure to report your results, please and thank you.

For a weapon like Windstorm Hammer, it's no question imo even for dps to get the +15 strength over crusader. It's speed is 2.1. The strength, as you already mentioned, also boosts your blocks.

Marbled Buckler comes from the same quest as Stonefist Girdle. Choose carefully, because stonefist girdle doesn't give any more stamina than defiler's mail girdle. Marbled Buckler is too good imo. I'd go with mail combat belt or the defiler's for the waist slot.

For gloves I recommend Razzeric's with +15 hit rating (piercing howl can miss, too). This is also one of your only decent chances to get some hit in. Otherwise, the only other enchantment to gloves that will benefit flag carrying imo is +10 haste for your GCD.

Either of the cloaks you mentioned sound good to me. +5 resists to cloak enchant is your only decent option for +resistance, so take it because you can. At the same time, its competition is 70 armor and +3 agility. Pretty obvious imo.

Either of the shoulder options you mentioned sound good. Sparkleshell worked well for me for while for tank purposes.

On talents, don't underestimate improved thunder clap. You've got the 14 essential fury talents down but imo 3/3 improved thunder clap helps more than shield spec when you're being chased down the field. The only times you can even block an attack while being chased is when you jump and do a little spin mid-air. So for your 6 non-fury talents, I recommend 3/3 imp thunder clap and 3/5 shield spec.

Good luck. I hope my suggestions help. In a premade I think you'll make some waves. Make sure to have dps teammates whose role is to focus on the hunters while pets and melee classes chasing you are left moot by your piercing howl. Intimidating Shout should be used against paladins who use HoF.

ok, i'll switch to +5 resist on cloak i guess.

i'm really stuck on marbled buckler vs stonefist girdle now. i would think forcestone buckler + stonefist girdle's armor would be really nice, but from the responses it seems i should choose otherwise. i'd love to see more opinions on this.

if piercing howl is affected by hit then i might as well get 15 hit to razzeric's

hmm, i'll definately consider imp thunderclap. it seems like a decent rage dump. but i figure if i have piercing howl then i won't need the talent as much. i wonder what other people think about piercing howl + imp TC?

thanks for all the responses :)

I play a 39 FC warrior, and I was Piercing Howl spec all the time. The only real use for it is to get across the field, once you get to your base the only use is to base kite which can be very affective depending on how your D set up is. Other than that piercing howl is useless.

Now I'm assuming you're going Horde because of the Windstorm Hammer thought, right?

Stonefirst girdle and forcestone buckler, the extra armour sems to outwiegh the small stamina loss, as you will have healers with you so the stamina isn't as much of an issue as cutting incoming damage.

I'd say 14\6 with imp t clap and 3\5 shield spec would be best. Could glpyh resonating power for 11 rage thunderclaps. again under the assumption that cutting incoming damage is importent.

fuzzles said:
Now I'm assuming you're going Horde because of the Windstorm Hammer thought, right?

yeah i'm going to be tauren

Stonefirst girdle and forcestone buckler, the extra armour sems to outwiegh the small stamina loss, as you will have healers with you so the stamina isn't as much of an issue as cutting incoming damage.

yeah for premades i figure armor is better /shrug

I'd say 14\6 with imp t clap and 3\5 shield spec would be best. Could glpyh resonating power for 11 rage thunderclaps. again under the assumption that cutting incoming damage is importent.

ok

new question: which glyphs should i try to get with 0/14/6?

Looked over the glyphs, and i can honestly say there isn't much. Glyph of revenge or glyph of resonating power would be the best i would say, probably resonating power , and minor glyph of thunder clap for an additional two yards. (think that puts it in line with piercing howl so you could piercing howl, then tclap.)

Fundingtwinks said:
Stonefirst girdle and forcestone buckler

My sentiments exactly.

According to Wowhead's weight scale for Tanking Warriors, Stamina is weighted at 100 points, Agility 53, Strength 17 and Armor at 7.

[ITEM]Marbled Buckler[/ITEM] (775 armor x 7) + (5 stam x 100) = (5 agil x 53) + (5 str x 17) = 6,275

[ITEM]Forcestone Buckler[/ITEM] (1051 armor x 7) + (3 stam x 100) = 7,657 (1,382 increase or 22.02% improvement)

[ITEM]Defiler's Mail Girdle[/ITEM] (128 armor x 7) + (5 stam x 100) + (12 str x 17) = 1,810

[ITEM]Stonefist Girdle[/ITEM] (234 armor x 7) + (5 stam x 100) + (6 str x 17) = 2,240 (430 increase or 23.76% improvement)

Bottom line is the armor improvement is HUGE. (If you believe Wowhead's rating method)

(ok, Forcestone is showing more armor than it really has, and I don't know how to link the lvl 28 version of the belt)

Pållynåtor said:
As for talents & glyphs, i'd say :

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LZGV0sZch:hVTmzM

I listed three majors and three minors because any of those can be successful.

Talents look good. Don't underestimate the power of Booming Voice. Increasing the area of effect of your Demoralizing Shout is a great way to bring rogues, that may be in the area, out of stealth. (Duration effect is an added bonus)

One other thought. I've been wondering if you ran the flag across the field by strafing, if your dodge, parry and block would work on people chasing you? If so, I might max out Shield Specialization and throw the last point in Deflection, in lieu of Improved Thunder Clap. (or 5 in Deflection and 1 in Shield Specialization?)

@ druid

Ya. if you go to my twinks and look at sixx i got 40 on my pants. my 19's even have 32 or w/e. i used my main put the kit on and mailed em back. nothing special.

Brickbat said:
Talents look good. Don't underestimate the power of Booming Voice. Increasing the area of effect of your Demoralizing Shout is a great way to bring rogues, that may be in the area, out of stealth. (Duration effect is an added bonus)

One other thought. I've been wondering if you ran the flag across the field by strafing, if your dodge, parry and block would work on people chasing you? If so, I might max out Shield Specialization and throw the last point in Deflection, in lieu of Improved Thunder Clap. (or 5 in Deflection and 1 in Shield Specialization?)

Pretty sure droid can backstrafe, but the tclap is still better I think for the slow. Also, it's premade play primarily so a team won't be full on rogues.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVZZihzr is the cookie cutter 29 prot warrior build.

you can switch the lower tier points around depending on what exactly you want to do (i.e. get the heroic strike crit talent if you're going to be doing more pvp-ish stuff). imp revenge and shield mastery are both incredible talents, and you are going to want to get both of them. your revenge will do a ton of damage at 29, as well as give you the ability to stunlock people. as far as major glyph goes, glyph of last stand is an easy call here.

this build has been tested, and it owns - and not just for flag carrying.

edit: i cannot believe that so many people are seriously suggesting that he go for piercing howl....as a flag carrier... do you guys realize how fast people die at 29 now? without last stand, he will drop as soon as the debuff hits, no joke, even if he is being spam healed. why would you even want piercing howl when i'm sure you'll have a frost trap down? frost trap cancels out howl....

i can tell you without a doubt that the build i linked will serve you much better FCing than going for piercing howl :-\. do not underestimate shield block.

edit 2: and do not go for armor over stamina, sheesh. the more health you have, the more it will scale with last stand. you will begin to get diminishing returns from armor relatively quickly because of the RIDICULOUS % armor gain from using the 1k armor horde shield.

Users who are viewing this thread