19s New Player Gear

For instanced PVP (arena/BGs), its rare to get higher than the mid 40 ilvls - so ~2% stats at max. Generally 1 int/str/agi maybe a couple of stam and some armor. Perhaps a haste/crit/verse rating.

So a "budget" 19 is going to be 98% of the stats of a well geared twink. Just make sure to...

1. Equip something in every slot (tabard/shirt don't matter).
2. Use the proper armor type. Rogues wear leather. Pallies wear plate. Etc.
3. Use a shield over an offhand if you can. Use a wand if you can. Use 1h axe/sword/mace/fists over daggers unless you need daggers. Use 2h axe/sword over a 2h mace/staff/polearm. Make sure to use an agi/str weapon if your class does physical damage.
4. Only then does ilvl really matter. Its the lowest priority thing.

See the guide in my sig for more, but basically you can be ready to pvp with white neck/rings/offhand, some heirlooms and any quest/dungeon items to fill in the gaps. A wand is worth getting (deadmines quest is prob the easiest one) if you can use one.

Hey necroaqua, why is it that you should use a 2h sword or axe instead of mace/staff/polearm? Thanks!

Hey necroaqua, why is it that you should use a 2h sword or axe instead of mace/staff/polearm? Thanks!

They use a different template - so theres a slight difference in damage. A bit of damage on the character sheet and a few points of damage on spells that use weapon damage. Not the end of the world. But a minor increase.

Note that this is at 19, but not at 20 for some reason. At 20 they appear to be the exact same. I haven't tested other levels to see. I don't know exactly how the templates are coded. My only guess (and a wild one at that) is that staves, polearms, and 2h maces used to be different than 2h axes/swords, so the template uses a different function to calculate their damage. Staves are easy to see, as they are mostly for casters. I think there was one time where polearms were faster than other 2 handers. And perhaps the occasional caster 2h mace threw things off. For whatever reason, they seem to follow a different template that is *very close* and it mostly matched up so it passed tests. And it only differs for a small level range where it rounds oddly.

You can (and should) always look at your own stats in a BG and test to verify. But AFAIK this hasn't changed, so still affects 19s. If I were really interested in more info, I'd try instanced pvp from 10 on, checking the difference (if any) at each level to try to map it out. But meh.

They use a different template - so theres a slight difference in damage. A bit of damage on the character sheet and a few points of damage on spells that use weapon damage. Not the end of the world. But a minor increase.

Note that this is at 19, but not at 20 for some reason. At 20 they appear to be the exact same. I haven't tested other levels to see. I don't know exactly how the templates are coded. My only guess (and a wild one at that) is that staves, polearms, and 2h maces used to be different than 2h axes/swords, so the template uses a different function to calculate their damage. Staves are easy to see, as they are mostly for casters. I think there was one time where polearms were faster than other 2 handers. And perhaps the occasional caster 2h mace threw things off. For whatever reason, they seem to follow a different template that is *very close* and it mostly matched up so it passed tests. And it only differs for a small level range where it rounds oddly.

You can (and should) always look at your own stats in a BG and test to verify. But AFAIK this hasn't changed, so still affects 19s. If I were really interested in more info, I'd try instanced pvp from 10 on, checking the difference (if any) at each level to try to map it out. But meh.

Thanks for the info bro! i'm gonna run a few tests myself.. I play mostly surv hunter atm (dont hate) And i'm always using my ilvl 34 polearm which might not be BiS after all... I'll try using a sword and axe and compare the damage.

Also another thing i wanted to ask you is do you know if Iron Boot Flask nature dmg proc can proc Black Magic? thx!
I was trying to test it out .. but was too busy fighting to watch my procs lol :p

Also another thing i wanted to ask you is do you know if Iron Boot Flask nature dmg proc can proc Black Magic? thx!
I was trying to test it out .. but was too busy fighting to watch my procs lol :p

Not sure. I know the undead and BE facials do. Best way is to use recount or skada. Reset before a BG and play normally. After the BG you can look at total data and check which buffs you had.

0 difference between a kid in full ilvl 1 white items in every slot and a fully bis kid with 45 ilvl

any1 who says there's a difference is an idiot

Sorry being new, I can't tell if this is honest or just nonsense. The stats go down quite a bit when I swap out level 25+ gear for level 1 white items... am I missing something?

Sorry being new, I can't tell if this is honest or just nonsense. The stats go down quite a bit when I swap out level 25+ gear for level 1 white items... am I missing something?

The template is what bases your stats on item level. The template applies itself when you enter instanced pvp. You are likely looking at your stats in Goldshire or something. Try entering a BG and swap out your white items and see if your stats change (especially your health, that usually is first to change).

Users who are viewing this thread