wtb tips on beating rogues 1v1 as warlock assuming they know how to kick and gouge

Typical scenario goes sapped, they open, I dot and run, lifeblood, juke, and try to get a fear off. If they are halfway decent and interrupt I die. (Also, would casting arcane torrent before fearing prevent them from interrupting with kick?)

You can't beat a good rogue. Even if you get him into a fear and he doesn't trinket it, as soon as you start to dps him your fear will break, he will shadowstep back and you are dead.

No, Arcane Torrent doesn't prevent them from kicking.

the only melee kick that you can prevent with arcane torrent is deathknight mind freeze , though there is no DK at 19s and I guess you could consider DK both melee / caster ... though its always good information to know when PvPing on your main.

As far as a warlock beating a rogue assuming the rogue CAN kick ... I don't see that happening unless you get lucky and are able to juke his kick. You can go destruction and start casting fire spell and hope he kick that so then you can cast fear , though he still have gouge and maybe arcane torrent depending of the class. But even with all that unless you are able to get bandage in to top yourself up during the fear the rogue will most likely always win since he has sprint / shadowstep to get back to you quickly after the fear and warlock burst / survivability isn't enough to kill a rogue before he kills you

19 isnt balanced so no u cant win.

avoiding kicks against 19s is easy coz they're all shit nowadays

same with avoiding crucial gouges

Nakedplumber post something that actualy helps... any ways rogues are hard to beat as a lock because shadowstep, it makes it really hard to win so I would say practice against rogues you know in duels untill you get a techniques on how to beat them.

pro tip, if u juke a kick you're gonna get gouged straight away.

juke a kick then turn 180 and fear (not sure if u need to be facing target to fear, never used to)

Get a good rogue friend. Duel him consistently. Ask HIM how to beat a rogue. That's how a guildmate of mine became a better rogue against hunters. Nothing better than the class itself giving tips on how to train them.

Randythehero said:
Nakedplumber post something that actualy helps... any ways rogues are hard to beat as a lock because shadowstep, it makes it really hard to win so I would say practice against rogues you know in duels untill you get a techniques on how to beat them.

Was actually useful, Im just telling him the truth, its just not possible to beat a good rogue as a warlock, unless you are really lucky and try a fake cast

Even if you succeed your fake cast, it probably wont work cause of the trinkey, but at least you can beat probably most rogues in bgs cause their trinket may be on cd or because they are just nubs

EDIT : right now get the SP and Haste buff (Fire festival), if you are affliction youll see its really OP, just all your dots will kill someone

l2 fake cast. i used to fake with hearthstone lol. dunno if you still can or not. bad rogues don't kick, average rogues kick whatever you're casting, good rogues will save kick for fear though. if you do get a fear off, immediately recast fear again to counter insignia. dot to prevent stealth and get as much distance as you can. have your imp fireball to keep combat up. pop agm if you suspect shadowstep is imminent. backstrafe! if you're quick with your own insignia, you can break the initial sap and jew him out of stealth, preventing ambush and taking the upper hand from the start. or better yet, if you can see him through stealth after the sap, attack with your imp and save insignia for the gouge that's coming. be ready for him to gouge and run to try and restealth. of course, i may be talking out my ass...i haven't warlocked in a long time. <3

If you've got engineering as a profession, (Not sure if EZ-Throw or any other non-engineer usuable grenades can stun)

Throw one down when he opens up on you, cast a DoT, Queue pet to attack, then cast a fear - Immediately begin to cast a fear after your first one in preperation that he's going to Insignia out of your first one (cancel it if by near the end of your cast time he hasn't done so, that way you don't wreck yourself with diminishing returns on fear).

If he has Shadowstep ready, you're then left down to try juke-casting a fear; if succesful (as someone said above) you have to try avoid a gouge by not facing the rogue when casting your /real/ fear.

Smiffy said:
If you've got engineering as a profession, (Not sure if EZ-Throw or any other non-engineer usuable grenades can stun)

Throw one down when he opens up on you, cast a DoT, Queue pet to attack, then cast a fear - Immediately begin to cast a fear after your first one in preperation that he's going to Insignia out of your first one (cancel it if by near the end of your cast time he hasn't done so, that way you don't wreck yourself with diminishing returns on fear).

If he has Shadowstep ready, you're then left down to try juke-casting a fear; if succesful (as someone said above) you have to try avoid a gouge by not facing the rogue when casting your /real/ fear.

Too bad that one DoT + your Imp's firebolts will break your fear in seconds, he doesn't even have to waste his trinket. As soon as you start to dps you can't CC the rogue anymore.

_Arkant_ said:
Too bad that one DoT + your Imp's firebolts will break your fear in seconds, he doesn't even have to waste his trinket. As soon as you start to dps you can't CC the rogue anymore.

Your best chance though is to still fear kite the rogue with damage on him, even if it means breaking fears. The longer he isn't on you, the better your chance of survival.

Unless, you take your chances on trying to beat him down by casting shadowbolts or simply running away from him with one set of DoTs (If you're in range to cast more, he's in range to Shadowstep you) and pet damage?

Smiffy said:
Your best chance though is to still fear kite the rogue with damage on him, even if it means breaking fears. The longer he isn't on you, the better your chance of survival.

Unless, you take your chances on trying to beat him down by casting shadowbolts or simply running away from him with one set of DoTs (If you're in range to cast more, he's in range to Shadowstep you) and pet damage?

You cannot fear kite a rogue while dps'ing him. With a full set of DoT's your fear breaks faster than it takes you to cast the next one. Even if he doesn't kick a single fear he would be fully DR'd in about 10 seconds or, more likely, you are dead.

Users who are viewing this thread