EU+US wowhead post on starter account limitations

https://www.wowhead.com/news=318542/new-starter-account-limitations-in-shadowlands

What Can You Do On a Starter Account
Starter accounts are able to play all the way to level 20 without being required to purchase a license or even a monthly subscription, but a few restrictions apply. This is pretty big, as the level cap for starter accounts before the squish was also 20, but you can now experience a significantly bigger portion of the leveling process before being required to purchase a subscription.
  • Starter accounts cannot choose a starting zone to level at and are forced to go through Exile's Reach from levels 1-10.
  • The new leveling feature added in the pre-patch, Chromie Time, is not available for starter accounts, as you need to level in Battle for Azeroth content all the way to level 50 at least once to unlock the feature. Thus, starter accounts can play from levels 10-20 in Battle for Azeroth zones. Previously, you could only level to level 20 in Vanilla zones and have no access to any sort of expansion content.
You can also perform a variety of limited actions on starter accounts:
  • You can only earn and carry a maximum of 1000 Gold per character.
  • You can only chat in the Newcomer chat that is part of the Guide system, /say and /party channels.
  • You can only /whisper friends if they're added by character name.
Some of the previous limitations are no longer in effect in starter accounts - You are now able to learn professions or use slash commands like emotes in chat (you even use emotes in the Exile's Reach quest Right Beneath Their Eyes / Right Beneath Their Eyes).
What You Cannot Do On a Starter Account
There are several limitations to Starter Accounts. These will go away once you add game time to the starter account (but be mindful that it might take up to 24 hours for the order to complete and these restrictions to be lifted from the starter account).

List of things you cannot do as a starter account:
  • Content from other expansions besides Battle for Azeroth, Chromie Time included;
  • Level characters above level 20;
  • Talk in chat channels such as General or Trade Chat;
  • Whisper other characters (you can whisper them if you add them as friends, or you receive a whisper first)
  • Pet Battling;
  • Any Real ID or Battle.net chat functions;
  • Create or invite people to parties (however, you can be invited to a party):
  • Open trades, use mailboxes or interact with the Auction House;

yes, F2P if they diligently converted gold to etherium thread, have gold to buy all bank slots, and bags to fill them, and regeant bank space also

Can you clarify this i.e. does this mean that pure F2Ps cannot queue for anything other than BfA instances? (Other than walking in, of course.)
wowhead has it wrong. f2p can access other expansions, they just cant use chromie time. queuing for dungeons seem to be enabled by chromie time, so f2p cant queue for them, but can walk in. apart from that, chromie time allows the zones to scale all the way to 50, instead of only scaling up to level 30 for classic, and different levels for different expansions. which is not needed by f2p anyway.

at least this is the case for new f2ps. i have an existing pure f2p that has access to chromie time, i cant confirm if thats the case for everyone though. so i guess chromie time is grandfathered for (at least some) old f2ps.

at least this is the case for new f2ps. i have an existing pure f2p that has access to chromie time, i cant confirm if thats the case for everyone though. so i guess chromie time is grandfathered for (at least some) old f2ps.
I’m wondering if it just brand new Starter Accounts that cannot access Chromie because I too can access Chromie on an old F2P account.
I also have access on my Vet account and I have never levelled through BFA.
Could be gf’d like u suggest.
A friend of mine who has played WoW in years, but has an old F2P account can also access Chromie.
Looks like Chromie likes old timers :p

[EDIT] - Just tried on my pure F2P on EU, and no Chromie and I have access to Newcomer Chat....... must be a pure F2P thing then......

Last edited:
Are f2play still lumped in with levelers in PvP or are they out in XPoff queues with the 29's? Been gone a while and cant remember squat lol.

wowhead has it wrong. f2p can access other expansions, they just cant use chromie time. queuing for dungeons seem to be enabled by chromie time, so f2p cant queue for them, but can walk in. apart from that, chromie time allows the zones to scale all the way to 50, instead of only scaling up to level 30 for classic, and different levels for different expansions. which is not needed by f2p anyway.

From what I've seen around me, now there are two types of pure F2P players

- those who can interact with Chromie
- those who can't

Those who can't are people who didn't interact with Chromie during the 2 days after the prepatch release.
But in both cases you're still able to do the quests. For the second category you only need to go directly on site

They forgot to mention that with a f2p account, you cannot acces to BG anymore!
Actually, F2Ps can, and often do, access battlegrounds.

Is your xp locked?
If so, that’s the reason: F2Ps can access BGs when their xp is on, but not when their xp is off (meaning locked through paying 10g to a specific NPC to lock exp). Nor can a F2P (or vet 20 with sub off) unlock their xp-lock without GM support.

Users who are viewing this thread