Which would be the best Hunter weapon?

Chubah

Legend
I'm trying to find the most effective weapon for a 39 Survival Hunter, after doing some research I came across the 3 top choices:

Nail Spitter

77 - 145 Damage Speed 2.80

(39.7 damage per second)

+6 Agility

Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 4 (0.48% @ L39).

Charmed Ancient Bone Bow

74 - 138 Damage Speed 2.80

(38.0 damage per second)

+5 Agility

Equip: Increases your hit rating by 3 (0.54%).

Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 3 (0.36%).

Bow of Searing Arrows

79 - 148 Damage Speed 2.70

(42.0 damage per second)

Equip: Chance to strike your ranged target with a Searing Arrow for 18 to 26 Fire damage.

Before I start comparing them I have to mention that unfortunately as of 4.0.3, the Nail Spitter is no longer obtainable for the simple reason that the item "Small Scroll" that drops from the last boss in Razofen Kraul and starts the quest chain no longer drops. It's considered a grandfathered item now, don't try to farm it.

There are three things we need to keep in mind before we pick the weapon of our choice and those are the damage per second, weapon speed and stats each weapon provides. I'm not really sure whether a slow ranged weapon would be ideal in PVP, however weapons with slow attack speed tend to have high minimum and maximum damage, meaning that any special attacks will hit for more compared to fast weapons.

In that regard Bow of Searing Arrows is the king of damage per second, however it's damage output comes with a loss of stats but with an interesting proc. It has a 100% proc change to deal an additional 18-26 Fire damage, which can also crit, and that ability is on a 3 second cooldown.

Some might say the extra damage caused by that ability might not be worth mentioning, but by making some calculations it appears that the proc itself, even without criting at all, provides an extra 7 dps to the weapon. I'm not sure how high the crit chance of the proc is, but if it depends on your character's chance to crit then the proc alone could theoretically add an extra 11-12 dps to the weapon, which would be more valuable than a couple points to agility.

Anyway, I am not an expert in theorycrafting but I'm just trying to find out which of the above weapons will be the best damage wise. Any thoughts on this?

Bow of Searing Arrows

79 - 148 Damage Speed 2.70

(42.0 damage per second)

Equip: Chance to strike your ranged target with a Searing Arrow for 18 to 26 Fire damage.

anyday

The choice is clearly between the Nail Spitter and BoSA. There are reasons why I would consider Nail Spitter to be the better choice.

The overall flat dps is slightly larger on the BoSA, however you have to scale in the benefit of the stats from all attacks to have a fair comparison. People get hung up too much on the dps of a weapon. Here`s why:

1) As Survival we get 15% bonus to our agility (soon to maybe be 10%). So the agi on Nail Spitter technically becomes 7 agi.

2) That 7 agi is 0.35% crit or there abouts, so we add that to the 0.48% from the crit rating, to get a total of 0.83% more crit.

3) We also get 14 Ap from that 7 agi. So that brings the flat damage of Nail Spitter almost in line with BoSA. It also adds damage to other attacks like Explosive Shot/Arcane Shot/Damage Traps etc...

4) The 7 agi will also scale with buffs.

5) The pet will also scale slightly with the additional stats, giving a slight dps increase.

6) The 0.83% crit will also apply to melee attacks when in range plus other attacks/traps.

7) 7 agi will give more dodge (and benefit more with buffs/scaling).

Those are a few of the advantages of the Nail Spitter. So weight those against the proc off BoSA. I would take the crit and scaling any day, however some may disagree. Remember, for flat dps most people take it as standing still for an extended period of time, this is not the reality in 30-39 pvp (which you will know if you have played in it extensively).

It gets more complicated with the changes, if they allow the autoshot on the run, then the perceived advantage narrows. Also I would like more details of the proc. If it has a 3 sec CD as you claim, then it will only fire every other autoshot which would also narrow your benefit from it.

All this is pretty much mute though, unless you completed the quest before the Shattering, then a GM could maybe restore the quest reward. So as it now stands, yes BoSA is best.

If your troll then the 1% bow crit racial could swing it in BoSA`s favour. I am waiting to get hold of a BoSA so I can actually test the numbers/dps/proc more accurately to give a more definitive answer.

Till then.

Mrdoobry, we do in-fact have a BoSA for you on Draenor, get your ass over here! ;)

yours truly - Enjoy

blazed said:
Mrdoobry, we do in-fact have a BoSA for you on Draenor, get your ass over here! ;)

yours truly - Enjoy

Unfortunately, that is nowhere near enough incentive to transfer server :p

Also, Arathor is home and most of my chars are here. Add to the fact I`m an achieve whore, my main and other high level chars are here (including dual mount chars).

TL;DR - NO CAN DO!

I'm on my way to become one aswell. Achievement whore that is :) We do have people with 2seat mounts etc, so you would be able to do the same thing you do there, here :)

blazed said:
I'm on my way to become one aswell. Achievement whore that is :) We do have people with 2seat mounts etc, so you would be able to do the same thing you do there, here :)

I work nights, so I tend to play during the evening/night on my days off too. Are you sure your guild has people willing to endlessly farm meaningless (to them) achieves and constant boosts/runs etc...?

No thought not :p

Charmed Ancient Bone Bow

74-138 (speed 2.8) 38.0 DPS

+5 agility

+3 crit rating

+3 hit rating

Might not be technically best, but it's not far off and for me it certainly wins 'cause it's so fucking nice.

I was about to say "add in the SFBM" as you started to get down to 38 DPS and all, but then I realised that SFBM is as bad as 35.7 DPS with the 7 Agi, but that's actually worse than The Silencer nowadays...

Guess mine will at some point be equipped for the sake of vanity more than actual output... There are more than a handful of better weapons nowadays, sadly enough.

Donniedarkõ said:
Nail Spitter is better anyways lol, nice try tho

I'm trying to gather a community Donnie! you too refused!

I totally forgot to include the Charmed Ancient Bone Bow, it has similar stats to the Nail Spitter but a bit less dps, however it provides 3 hit rating which isn't too shabby.

So if a new player want's to create a Hunter twink then is he screwed for being unable to obtain the Nail Spitter or are the loss of those stats barely noticable?

Chubah said:
I totally forgot to include the Charmed Ancient Bone Bow, it has similar stats to the Nail Spitter but a bit less dps, however it provides 3 hit rating which isn't too shabby.

So if a new player want's to create a Hunter twink then is he screwed for being unable to obtain the Nail Spitter or are the loss of those stats barely noticable?

CABB or BoSA, are both viable alternatives for a new twink, but not BiS. Not much in it, both will do for the average twink.

blazed said:
I'm trying to gather a community Donnie! you too refused!

I know I was kidding not blaming ;p I guess that's why a lot of us are stuck wherever we are, for different reasons, mains & such, say I was transfering now I wouldn't even have the heirloom cap. I don't see any point of moving either, wargames well, it is not a feature I intend to ever use.

I gave it some thought today and the whole Nail Spitter story pissed me off a bit. What's the point in buffing it from a miserable green quest reward it was right before removing it from the game completely? It's frustrating trying to create a BiS Hunter only to find out the the best weapon is no longer available....

Chubah said:
I gave it some thought today and the whole Nail Spitter story pissed me off a bit. What's the point in buffing it from a miserable green quest reward it was right before removing it from the game completely? It's frustrating trying to create a BiS Hunter only to find out the the best weapon is no longer available....

I wouldn`t get too hung up on a weapon tbh. It`s like if I was to make a rogue now, I could not get the BiS weapons. Same with things like grandfathered First Aid if people didn`t get it before. Best way to look at it is that those are slight perks for those who have been with their twink(s) a long time.

The fact is very few twinks are ever BiS. Gear changes all the time and new items are introduced or revamped. Plus one mans BiS is not the same as another. With regards to Nail Spitter, there is very little between it and BoSA, for example. There are probably things that I haven`t got that are no longer available. I tried to minimise these by spending a lot of time researching and planning Pre-Shattering, not everyone did.

All in all, yes it can be annoying, but the difference between one weapon and another is usually hardly noticeable. It`s not the end of the world if you don`t have every single grandfathered item/BoA/etc...

I'm glad I care about aestethics of my character, so nail spitter doesn't even come in at top 100 on my "bis hunter weapon". Charmed looks great and i'll never ever lose a fight because it has 2 dps less than some other weapon. I don't care if nailspitter is technically 'on paper' better than other weapons, we don't play a theory-game so it does't matter half as much as people seem to want to believe.

Sure if you want your char to be absolute bis and cry everytime you see an unobtainable item on someones armory then yeah, its sad, you are indeed very sad.

thenet said:
I'm glad I care about aestethics of my character, so nail spitter doesn't even come in at top 100 on my "bis hunter weapon". Charmed looks great and i'll never ever lose a fight because it has 2 dps less than some other weapon. I don't care if nailspitter is technically 'on paper' better than other weapons, we don't play a theory-game so it does't matter half as much as people seem to want to believe.

Sure if you want your char to be absolute bis and cry everytime you see an unobtainable item on someones armory then yeah, its sad, you are indeed very sad.

I wasn't sad or even upset when I wrote my post, just wanted to rant a bit. But yeah, the 2 extra DPS on a weapon won't win you the fight, as long as your other gear is decent it shouldn't really matter much. :)

The 2 extra DPS gives you an edge. Twinks live on gaining as sharp an edge as possible on your opponent. Additionally, they might win you fights.

Users who are viewing this thread