Twink Advice, lvl 70 Elemental Shaman

Jayse

Legend
Hi people, I'm new to twinking at lvl 70 and I haven't twinked since running 29's back in Vanilla. I just hit lvl 70 a couple days ago and I'm currently gearing up the basic Brutal Glad gear / other PVP gear (still a work in progress). I'm going to grind out SSO rep for the head enchant tonight probably and hopefully will discover a nice Cata-Tinker once I hit 450 engineering (441 atm).

Few things is that I have no idea what I should be gemming for. I'm JC and just bought the Dragon's Eye pattern for the +34 resil gems, but I dont know if I should stack Resilience or stack INT. I'm also not positive what good WOTLK enchants I should look towards.

Besides the Dragon's Eyes, I just threw random gems I had left over from leveling up JC for now. I plan on getting a pattern for the +20 intellect Cardinal Ruby and probably just filling the rest of the Gem slot options with those (dont know if thats a good idea or not)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Sorry I'm new to these forums too

Brittney @ Llane - Game - World of Warcraft

It depends if your just doing battlegrounds or arena. If your doing arena, you will get trained hard and as such want to gem resilience. Damage is pretty good even if you gem straight resilience. You will not survive in arena with just resilience from gear, especially if you are against rogue and or mage teams. If all your going to do is battlegrounds, you could stack intellect and got for damage. Get the 21 crit rating +3% crit damage meta gem, and gem 3x 10int/10resi gems (shoulders + head + 1 other random socketto get the resilience socket bonuses) to activate it if your going for resilience. If your going for intellect, you can ignore the orange gems. Get 4pc brutal (the 4 set is awesome) and the crit/haste sunwell legs as this yield the best resilience. 2nd trinket is also debatable, but I would go for either the lightening generator/noise machine/intellect battlemasters.

Tazik shocker equates to some stupidly high burst as well, but good luck getting it. (Especially if you elemental mastery -> LvB -> Tazik -> 9stack Fulmination, you can global badly geared players in BGs). Out of leveling engineering on 6 twinks, I've not got it once. Synapse springs are also really good, too.

Spec wise, go for something like this. As for glyphs, keep lava burst, drop lightening bolt and get glyph of unleashed lightening, but go for Stoneclaw Totem and either Thunderstorm if you doing battlegrounds, or Elemental Mastery in arena.

Enchant wise (resilience)

Head - SSO exalted enchant

Shoulder - Glad PvP enchant

Cape - 35 spell pen

Chest - 20 resilience

Wrists - 30 spellpower/ 40 stamina (If you feel like you need more survivabilty.)

Weapon - 63 spellpower/ Black Magic (This is personal choice; I personally prefer black magic, ots about a 15% haste buff at level 70.)

Shield - 12 resi/ 25 intellect ( I go for the intellect.)

Gloves - 28 spellpower

Legs - 50 spellpower + 20 stamina

Boots - 15 stamina, + minor runspeed (No instant ghostwolf at 70 so this is a must)

Macro /stopcasting to all your shocks (you should be doing this for Wind Shear anyway) because of the glyph of unleashed lightening, you can't fake cast by jumping.

Might be something I've missed, but I hope this helps for now.

Stack Int. For yellows you can use int/haste (crit isn't that great of a stat imo).

I am not a fan of DPS classes stacking resil....especially since Ele can have mana issues. I would recommend relvling eng until you get either Taziks or Springs. I have Taziks on my 74 Ele shaman and Tazik/Ele Mastery/Lavaburst is pretty epic.

Just my opinion though.

Take a look at my armory for an idea of gear and spec.

Gear is not "BiS" BiS, its more suited to my playstyle but its still close to top-tier gear.

4pc Brutal Ele bonus is a MUST along with Fulmination - lightning shield hits 9 charges so fast its not even funny, and you also dont need to glyph LS either if you have the bonus.

Edit: Also should add that the new Prime glyph "Glyph of Unleashed Lightning" that lets you cast Lightning Bolt while moving is a must in PVP, you don't want to be a sitting duck while casting your filler spell, and it also gives you the ability to dps while chasing/kiting

McWang said:
Take a look at my armory for an idea of gear and spec.

Gear is not "BiS" BiS, its more suited to my playstyle but its still close to top-tier gear.

4pc Brutal Ele bonus is a MUST along with Fulmination - lightning shield hits 9 charges so fast its not even funny, and you also dont need to glyph LS either if you have the bonus.

Edit: Also should add that the new Prime glyph "Glyph of Unleashed Lightning" that lets you cast Lightning Bolt while moving is a must in PVP, you don't want to be a sitting duck while casting your filler spell, and it also gives you the ability to dps while chasing/kiting

While I think that gearing is a personal choice, you will get badly gibbed in arena with 300 resilience against high mmr(unless they are really fail)/decent teams. Rogue/mage (especially pve geared ones) teams will be able to kill you in one stun after you have blown your trinket and your partner is CCed. I would try and sit at least the start of DRs (35% damage reduction/around 530 resilience).

On another note, you shouldn't glyph Lightening Shield anyway as elemental because Fulmination only ever consumes extra charges of Lightening Shield as such rendering the glyph useless. Glyph-wise, like I said keep lava burst, drop lightening bolt and get glyph of unleashed lightening, as for majors, go for Stoneclaw Totem and either Thunderstorm if you doing battlegrounds, or Elemental Mastery in arena.

Great advice!

(I'm mainly doing battlegrounds)

Thanks for all the help! I think once I can tag along with my guild I'll go for the 4 T6 4 Brutal combo

I have found that I have good survivability and usually can outheal anyone's personal damage with Healing Surge, but yeah the damage isn't able to burn as much as I would like I think. But if I just stack 10 Resil + 10 Intellect maybe that would just balance out it more.

I'll go for that lightning glyph, with T6 bonus that'll make up for it. I don't think I have the patience or the available gold to level Engineering 1-450 over and over. I got the Grounded Plasma Shield :( Oh if they ever dropped the engineering requirement to 450 instead of 500 I would be in heaven with that one (absorbs 18000 damage). I just have the + Haste tinker on there, and have thought about getting the Pyro Rocket instead.

Thanks much for all the information here. It really helps looking at other shaman's builds / gear.

I'd suggest you to stick with Hyperspeed whatsoever, Pyro Rocket does laughable damage nowadays. Maybe like 1.5k crits on resilience targets. Though it's about personal preference, but I'd still go with Hyperspeed, after all 240 haste is still around 14% at 70lvl.

Yesterday I got a couple more pieces of T6 (Have 4 now). Revamped my build a little bit (still need to respec my talent points a little) and switched out Glyphs for Stoneskin and Unleashed Lightning (which I love running around casting lightning bolts :) )

Luckily I was able to get the SP mace from Kil'Jaedan (mispelling) in Sunwell, but I added some more Gem Slots and through a few +20 Intellect amongst the Resilience cuts.

Right now I'm at 528 resilience, is there a resilience soft-cap out there? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread