SV/MM Hunter questions

Beast

OG
Hi guys, registered today after lurking for a while, I have a couple of questions for you. Been twinking in the 49 bracket on and off for a year or so now, and I'm in the process of making a Hunter having seen impressive results from friends/foes who play the class. So here are my questions.

1) Choice of pet: Assuming Tenacity would win out here, crab for Pin? Any success in speccing it for Intervene and the charge/+30% move speed?

2) Choice of glyphs: Serpent Sting, Disengage and Revive Pet are my thoughts but not entirely sure here.

Got 2x Ribsplitters waiting for me, the only hard grind will be the Atal'ai Breastplate. Using the charmed ancient bone bow for the speed and hit/crit.

Oh yeah I'd be looking at going with 0/14/26 http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=cZ0eV0oZechVo0ch

Any input would be appreciated :)

-Beast

EDIT: Just to clarify I'm Alliance, Night Elf, so no best in slot quest goodies :)

Crab/Hyena/Spider etcetc all great choices for hunters

One of the most OP glyphs imo is the Glyph of Aspect of the Monkey.

30% increased movement speed is so frustrating

go 2/5 hunting party and put those three points in LockNLoad >_< not "Arcane Shot", being able to line up 3 Arcane shots on a target is pretty nice burst

Personally I really dislike Surefooted. I loved it before they changed it but that neither here/there.. Take those 3 points and drop them in Imp Wing Clip (QUICK! before they drop it in 3.1) or Survival Instincts.

Imp Wing Clip puts you 10% up on warriors with their similar glyph and it's great on FCs when Entrapment doesn't proc.

4% less damage is great to lessen the sustained damage talents a lot of players pick up

and the crit % on Arcane has really nice synergy with Lock n Load

Most of what Juke said, you completlly skipped the arcane shot talents, lock and load alone gives you a nice free burst every trap + proc on serpent sting.

Surefooted kicked ass back in the day, but now it sucks.

I like Cunning pets but thats just a preference.

Use my spec. The three 'free' points are the two in Imp Tracking and the 1 in Survival Tactics, if you wanted to put them other places.

Don't miss Lock and Load. It would be retarded to not have that in a 14/26 spec, because 0/14/26 is a burst spec, and you are losing tons of (generally) on command burst.

Unless they are changing Surefooted in the coming patch, it does NOT suck, and is in fact the best enchant you can get unless you hit cap without it (which you generally won't).

Copy/pasting my pet advice from another site for efficiency:

Bat or Ravager - Pick one. They both stun. The bat's can be done at 20 yards (rather than melee), but has a 1min CD instead of 40sec.

Serpent or Wind Serpent or Scorpid - Again, pick one. They are your anti-rogue pet, primarily. Personally, I prefer the Serpent because of the additional anti-caster utility.

Owl - Your arena pet. Disarm is badass vs. rogues and warriors.

Spider - Your CC pet. I don't use it as BM, but when I was running a Surv build with Wyvern Sting it was my favorite pet. I prefer it to the Crab, because it can Web at range, and a physical based snare kind of sucks (it will get dodged a lot, when you need it to not be dodged). Of course, web is dispellable...but most people won't dispel it.

Hyena - Decent flag chasing pet, with the Hamstring. If played correctly you can have an FC slowed almost 100% of the time. Limited utility if you're doing some other role in the bg though.

You should have all five, honestly.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realise the spider web was ranged so that's pretty hot. Looks like I'll be rethinking my strategy :O

i use a crab on my 80 hunter. its absolutely the best pet in the game. if you can get intervene @ 49, you should definitely get one. you can intervene stuns/blinds/snares on anyone in your battleground. its amazing. ive saved myself from cb eviscerates, interrupted node caps, and scatter shots with it.

i seriously cant stress enough how awesome it is

You can indeed get Intervene at 48, this was my reasoning to use a crab.. I also think Tenacity pets would be more useful for my playstyle since I like to be defensive and reactionary :)

Plus, you know, it's a CRAB

As of current, I run a crab, kitty, and ravager. For BM I'll use my kitty, and SV/MM I'll use either the crab or ravager. Pin and Intervene are just too good.

There really is something to be said for having your little crab buddy clacking away behind you :)

Also profession wise: Mining and ...? was thinking Engi for that imba +hit scope added in 3.1 but I'm not sure

You don't need engineering required for the flashlight trinket i believe.

Also the +30 hit scope is a MC drop and you don't need engineering to use that, just a higher level to attach it to your weapon.

Wow thats really useful to know :O thanks

Looks like Mining + Herbalism for when I get caught without a healer

Aaarg man was running my brother's fresh 49 warrior through ST for an Atal'ai Girdle

3 Atal'ai breastplates dropped in the same run, of the Eagle, Monkey and Falcon

Now I guarantee when my Hunter gets to 40 it will take about a week to get a good drop, aaarg

Beast said:
49 warrior

3 Atal'ai breastplates dropped in the same run, of the Eagle, Monkey and Falcon

i don't know if there is such thing as 'RNG' anymore. they should just call it 'bullshit'

Herbalism is better than mining, if you regularly die less than 4 times in the 2min the herbalism HoT is cooling down.

You can take eng for the grenades, parachute cloak (whee disengaging across half the map), and stealth goggles. Or skinning for the extra crit. All depends on the amount of work you want to put in.

Well my thinking was Toughness is +stam right

So +30 stam at 375, which is +33 thanks to survivalist, and therefore Hunter vs. Wild would make it also equivelant to 9.9 attack power

Hell I think I'll go with a 1200 hp semi regular HoT, 330 HP and 10 ap :)

Users who are viewing this thread