Sub (swords) rogue vs. Frost mage

Volsci

Legend
Have at it I guess. This is my normal go around, I'd like insight as to where I am apparently missing something.

Here is how my typical duels go.

Mage double bubbles (I don't know if this works as a backup bubble or if it shields with both bubbles..). Anywho, he has mana shield and frost shield up.

Premed>recup, into garrote+ks. The 3 seconds without a blink is generally around enough time to take down about half of the 8k shield this specific mage has.

As the silence comes to end I start to save the GCD up, in case I need to gouge a blink.

If I had a GCD and gouged the blink, then I just run over to the mage and get recuperate going. As the cooldown on kidney shot gets close down I start waiting for his blink, and as soon as he pops it I ShS over into shadowdance, garrote coming after the CS winds down.

This is typically where I get the shield down, and it gives me about a 15-20 second window to down the mage before he gets another one, adding up to right around 10k in shielding.

Miscellaneous fencing type play goes about here, I save vanish incase I need to vanish a deep freeze (it doesn't immune it, no, but it doesn't do the mage much good if he can't see me. Arcane explosion is also costly, so if he feels the necessity to take me out of stealth, it is a bit of a chip in the mana wallet).

I don't use the second ShD right away, I try to save it for a time where bubbles are low and deep freeze has been used (or I am almost dead, and need to cut my damage out quickly to bandage).

I am good at countering deep freeze, whether it is with CoS, vanish, or gouge.

My problem, more or less, is the pet. Often in the fight the mage never gets anything off but the occasional ice lance (which in itself is ~1.5k, about 12% of my health). So the pet just keeps trucking away with waterbolt, impairing my ability to restealth (if I need to bandage, I drop CoS and blind mage \ gouge pet).

By this point, however, I am usually about half dead and it just takes one screwed up deep freeze to down me. Between ice lance and waterbolt, the damage surpasses recuperate (which yes, recuperate shouldn't heal for more then the damage I understand. My problem is simply that I can't avoid the damage).

All in all, my problem is that if I screw up once, the mage gets away for the rest of the fight. To keep the mage in melee range, a lot of my effort has to go into CC which means recuperate is down for a few seconds here and there. If I go to kill the pet, then the mage just goes to town and I die that way. If I don't kill the pet, the mage keeps me at bay with bubbles and the pet slowly drags me down. I've taken to vanishing and recuperating to full, but that isn't amazingly enjoyable and it lets the mage get CD's back up. I've tried derping about with some old neilyo whatnots through sap, and have tried using EA a time or two.

The options to win seem to be, more or less, blow everything at the start and hope that the mage gets zerged down before I run out of CD momentum, or simply that the mage isn't too bright.

*Arena's aren't so bad, since pillar humping is one of my more refined skills.

*Yes, I didn't input deep freeze\evocation\mirror image etc. The point being that the mage only has to keep bubbles up, put pet on aggressive and ice lance occasionally and can down me even when I'm using multiple years of rogue experience and all of my abilities T.T

Soo, I am looking for here and there suggestions. Where should I be more agressive? Where should I play it more safely? Any crafty tips or tricks you can think of? Assume I can negate all deep freezes and gouge the majority of blinks. (Predictable simply by waiting a GCD after frost nova, or after the cd on blink is down in a stun). I can beat mages at end game, alas, this isn't end game and I imagine there are things I am screwing up at 70 due to playing it like 85.

Exceptional gratitude to inputters,

Cheers,

Volsci

since the pet seems to be such a problem can you get the mage to be separated from it then kill it? if he instantly resummons it, just look for the next window to kill it (will be on 3min CD)? might be a bit harder to get the pet alone, but since that seems to be such a headache for you it might be worth while

as far as the bubbles go im not rly sure how frost barrier works in conjunction with mana shield...i would assume it takes down one, then the other rather then applying the damage to both or splitting the damage to both

Sort of, but it obviously isn't a surefire solution.

Even a stupid mage will catch what you're doing if you do it twice in a row. Every now and then it works to blind > vanish sap to take down the pet. Alas, all the mage has to do is iceblock and it is foiled ;)

I suppose the problem is that I play a defensive & control based play, it works quite well for every other class. Jajaja. Healers are easy to do with it. The problem is that it doesn't do much burst :p

So I'm altering my playstyle slightly for the bracket to work around for that. I just don't feel right making a tree to use explicitly to use for mages.

And yes, those were the same two ideas I had came up with. Regardless, I suppose it doesn't matter too much. I've also taken to waiting the bubbles down to see when the mage will reapply, and then sap\garrotting them through to finish the cooldown. That is of course situational though..

I think the biggest crutch a (rogue) has vs. mages in general, is that so few of them are any good in this bracket.

I am playing with drawing the duels out (easily going for over ten minutes),, and playing between cooldowns. That is proving to be somewhat successful.

combat is usefull against mage indeed but not being able to shadowstep is a big loss imo but you have the improved sprint instead tough.

but i totally get ur problem, the mage can make a few mistakes but when you screw a thing up you barely win the fight.

Bakpak said:
any decent mage wouldn't let it drop below 30 sec tbh...

Implying that out there are decent lvl 70 mages

there are some out there :p but god how many shitters there is as well.. specially in BGs or those playing arcane x2 in 2s etc *sigh*

Bakpak said:
there are some out there :p but god how many shitters there is as well.. specially in BGs or those playing arcane x2 in 2s etc *sigh*

Indeed. Might just roll a mage soon myself. The only reason why I haven't done it yet is because I've played mage as main for like 5 years now. Cba really to lvl another.

Users who are viewing this thread