Starting to gear up a monk, no clue where to begin.

Ginchy

Veteran
What should I be doing to gear up? Just spamming dungeons? Or is there some questing I should be doing to go for gear

The lists have changed a lot, When I started my monk originally there was a few quests I did in Outlands and ran outland dungeons for gear with tons of gem slots then slotted them with 2 int 2 haste gems. Come dragonflight I was geared enough to where I can solo the warlords of draenor dungeons for the new 59 ilvl warforged gear that drops. For professions take alchemy for the Alchemist's Flask, It's a permanent 4 intellect buff and I went with northrend engineering for the grenade belt and cobalt grenades. You can do the legion timeline to gain (possibly temporary) Access to the monk order hall and apparently theres like buff food there you can get or something (idk I did it already and idk if I can get back to my order hall for this "food"). Brewmasters are tankier but Mistweaver (in my opinion) is way better because the damage on crane kick scales with intellect and is way more spammable since its 4 mana as a mistweaver instead of like 20 energy as a brewmaster.

Get either the Ooze trinket from Plaguefall dungeon or the Shadow Totem trinket from Da Other Side (I highly recommend this one more than the Ooze since its more rng heavy compared to the totem) in order to "one shot" bosses in WoD dungeons. The first part is to go to Chromie Timeline and make it to Shadowlands timeline, then que up those 2 dungeons and whichever fist trinket you get, (or both if you're ballsy), head straight to Draenor and fly to Iron Docks or Bloodmaul Slagmines and just farm the bosses there and grind Warforged ilvl87 gear from them. Using Brewmaster certainly makes survivability easier compared to any other class as a Monk. but Misweaver works too (just make sure you attune your loot table to be the desired spec you need). Im currently working on a Monk myself and its going okaish, rng isnt good with me.

EDIT: Forgot to add something, once you get the desired trinket, leave the shadowlands timeline from chromie and choose current timeline. doing so will make both trinkets become broken and OP, if you are doing WoD dungeons while still in shadowlands timeline, they will just be regular and average trinkets that dont "one shot" bosses.

Last edited:
Get either the Ooze trinket from Plaguefall dungeon or the Shadow Totem trinket from Da Other Side (I highly recommend this one more than the Ooze since its more rng heavy compared to the totem) in order to "one shot" bosses in WoD dungeons. The first part is to go to Chromie Timeline and make it to Shadowlands timeline, then que up those 2 dungeons and whichever fist trinket you get, (or both if you're ballsy), head straight to Draenor and fly to Iron Docks or Bloodmaul Slagmines and just farm the bosses there and grind Warforged ilvl87 gear from them. Using Brewmaster certainly makes survivability easier compared to any other class as a Monk. but Misweaver works too (just make sure you attune your loot table to be the desired spec you need). Im currently working on a Monk myself and its going okaish, rng isnt good with me.

EDIT: Forgot to add something, once you get the desired trinket, leave the shadowlands timeline from chromie and choose current timeline. doing so will make both trinkets become broken and OP, if you are doing WoD dungeons while still in shadowlands timeline, they will just be regular and average trinkets that dont "one shot" bosses.
Does the Totem still work? I farmed them both in the shadowlands timeline, and tested them both in the BFA and the present timeline. The ooze does insane damage (40-60% of my damage on big pulls), but the totem does minuscule damage (0.5%) so the totem obviously isn't "bugged" for me. I am a level 10 monk, and have tried using it in both mistweaver and brewmaster spec (don't think it matters, but wanted to test it anyway). Has it been nerfed?

Does the Totem still work? I farmed them both in the shadowlands timeline, and tested them both in the BFA and the present timeline. The ooze does insane damage (40-60% of my damage on big pulls), but the totem does minuscule damage (0.5%) so the totem obviously isn't "bugged" for me. I am a level 10 monk, and have tried using it in both mistweaver and brewmaster spec (don't think it matters, but wanted to test it anyway). Has it been nerfed?
Totem works but level still matters https://xpoff.com/threads/shadowgrasp-totem-min-level-testing-results-final.99344/

As Stim mentioned, the totem "technically works" at the beginning of lvl 14, below that it wont do brain dead damage. hence why it functions better at 20. Youre lvl10 so the totem wont work, only the Ooze works for you. The totem as of now still works, and ive been spamming WoD with it.

Probably the most concise MW 10s monk guide out there:
1. SL Chromie time, queue up for Plaguefall to get https://www.wowhead.com/item=178769/infinitely-divisible-ooze
2. Spam WoD Dungeons until ilvl 59. Burial Grounds has an Int Staff.

Optional:
- Mark of the Hidden Satyr neck enchant
- Machinists Brilliance on weapon
- other enchants, vanilla flask, food buffs etc.

After you get full ilvl59s, everything else is just a minor increase in efficiency, you are pretty much carried by scaling at 10 anyways

Users who are viewing this thread